M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the 1000KM (600 Mile) first service. I'm now at about 2200KM's (1367 Miles), and would love to start using synthetic, but I'm not sure if I should wait until the engine wears in more or not.
Any advice?

·
Registered
122 Posts
asked my dealer that same question. The service manager recomended no synthetics, he recomended castrol 10w40. maybe because type of clutches? dont know, but i would like to know why exactly.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
screw the dealers. these are the people that can't even put the right amount of oil in your bikes. put synth in it immediately. it can be used as soon as you uncrate it. do a search there's a lot of discussion on this matter, and links for very informed articles.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
I just did a search on oil, (should have in the first place), and found other threads on the subject as well.
Question is which brand and weight of oil to use now. Holy crap! every single person seems to have an opinion on this.
I figure I ride this evil machine pretty hard. I should probably get an oil designed for it, that way I never have to think about how well I'm protecting the engine.
Since synthetic motorcycle specific oils are so hard to find in Canada, I'm going to visit the web sites for Mobile 1, Amsoil, and Rotela. Which ever one has the best description of motorcycle specific oil, with reasonable prices, and shipping, I'll get that one.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
i'm using amsoil 20w-50 in the georgia hot weather. i'd recommend amsoil. 10w-40 if you are in a moderate/cooler climate, or 20w-50 if in a hot climate.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I started at 400 miles and haven't had a problem since now with 1000 miles... Actually I have noticed a quieter cluthc/gear box and engine in general. AmsOil 20-50 :bigthumbsup:

G

·
I'm at 3500 miles. 3000 of that on Amsoil 10W40 Full syn. IMHO I would not use Automotive oil as the additives can affect the clutch operation. I also extend my oil changes to 5000 miles. I've done this for years with nary a problem :bigthumbsup:.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I spoke with an oil engineer with Mobil oil (my co. a wholesale lubricants dealer) and he told me you could switch to synthetic right after you get it home from the showroom and acutely recommended doing so.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My dealer recommended changing at 5,000 kms but I'd rather change it now (2,000 k's).
Here in Perth we can buy a fully synthetic motorcycle oil by Shell called Advance VSX 15-50. I assume this would be good for our climate here. Currently its winter - can get down to zero degrees overnite but warms to 22 degrees C
thru the day. I guess thats why it has a larger viscosity range. Used it in my VTX with no problems.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just Switched yesterday Amsoil 20-50. and Synthetics are not scarce in Canada. there are 3-5 different types of synthetic oil here just make sure that it is meant for Motorcycles and not Cars. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :read: :joke: :joke:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dragon_Strik said:
Just Switched yesterday Amsoil 20-50. and Synthetics are not scarce in Canada. there are 3-5 different types of synthetic oil here just make sure that it is meant for Motorcycles and not Cars. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :read: :joke: :joke:
Where do you buy your synthetic motorcycle specific oils. In Ontario, and British Columbia, they are scarce. Dealers are about the only place you can consistantly find them. Those happen to be overpriced.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Canuk... I will set you up so you can buy direct at dealer cost... I think you and I already talked about that.... Not sure... been getting several calls from Canada lately.. Email me or call my Toll Free at 1-877-356-6099

As far as switching to Synthetic, you can have the dealer do it right there before you pick up the bike if you wish. I usually recommend waiting to your initial service just to get any machining debris, dirt and wear particles out.

Bob

·
Registered
326 Posts
I usually go to a synthetic after the break-in period, I don't want a problem with the rings wearing in and sealing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live in Edmonton, Alberta Canada and I have a Amsoil account. If anyone lives withen the area of Edmonton I can get them some Amsoil at cost. I will be going in to purchase some oil for my bike in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have been running Rotella Syn. (blue bottle) for 3500 miles. Switched at about 1500 miles. The thinner synthetics seem to give my shifter a "quicker but louder (clunky) feel and sound. I switched to a 15W50 full synthetic about 1000 miles ago and really like it. The shifting seems to have "tighten" up and smoothed out. This oil is hard to find and like 6.00 a quart but feels great. (Mobil 1 SuperSyn) Also a word to the wise ALWAYS replace the filter and the rear gear oil at the same intervals as the engine oil. This link is very helpfull with oil and filter information, although the 109 isnt listed yet.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/

1 - 20 of 65 Posts