M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, there have been a couple of threads recently about cleaners and waxes, but couldn't see anything about wheel and / or tire cleaners. The 109 rear tire has such a low profile that there really isn't much there to clean. However, there is a LOT of surface area on the wheels.
I'm still anxiously trying to get my house ready to sell so I can go get my 109, but I still have my red / black Volusia. Since this bike has the more retro look, I put whitewalls on it about a year ago. Well, with wedding plans taking all of my time I have neglected the poor bike a bit and the whitewalls were looking pretty black, and the rims were getting very dull with brakedust, etc. I have used several different kinds of cleaners with a lot of elbow grease and varying degrees of success.
I was in Home Depot (of all places) the other day and they had those magic erasers made for wheels / tires on clearance. I knew these things worked amazingly well in the home so I decided to try them on my poor whitewalls. The one drawback to them is that the surface of the tire tends to chew up the thing pretty bad. I went through 1 1/2 of them before I was done. However, in just 20 minutes I had those whitewalls looking brand new and the chrome rims just shining. I love these things!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fl109 said:
Try Westley's bleach white. You can get it at any automotive parts store.
Yeah, I think these things worked better and faster than bleach white. Good stuff, just wish they were a bit more durable. I've never seen anything clean tires better or easier.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Found a product called "Greased Lightning" at Lowe's. It's available in gallon containers and works as well or better than Westley's Bleach White, plus it's much cheaper. Makes your tires look factory fresh. I wouldn't recommend it for clear aluminum wheels! It's really potent stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts