M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a kit from ddm tuning, i've got a kit from them in my car and love it. But the one for my 9 has a silver bulb holder. Now what exactly does that do? It looks like it blocks alot of the light. Why can't they make a bulb without that silver part or why can't I cut off the part covering the bulb? Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so it's probably not a good idea then huh? But the original bulb didn't have that silver holder in it.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
you got an HID hi/low kit.

The schroud does blos a good deal of the light, but that shielding is what gives you the dimmer low beam.

If you just take that off, there will hardly be any difference between hi and low beam and it is not likely to pass inspection if your state has it.

This is why I perferr a 2 bulb system, so the hi has it's own bulb rather than just blocking out light for a low beam.

You can get 2 bulb systems with a halogen high. This works well as that comes on instantly where a 2nd HID lags some.

You can go with a 2 bulb HID system and keep the low beam on all the time so the lag to hi is not a lag in the dark. That what I am running and it works out fine for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a hi/lo system with one bulb. And there is absolutely no lag between the hi and lo beam. Haven't had it on road yet, still waiting for my fuel strainer so i'll see how it looks on road, but in garage it's damn bright. I'll leave it on, i figured there was a reason for it. HOw are you guys getting a 2 bulb system in these headlamps?

·
Radio Active Member
27,682 Posts
It is a hi/lo system with one bulb. And there is absolutely no lag between the hi and lo beam. Haven't had it on road yet, still waiting for my fuel strainer so i'll see how it looks on road, but in garage it's damn bright. I'll leave it on, i figured there was a reason for it. HOw are you guys getting a 2 bulb system in these headlamps?
I will let you know, I just got a kit.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,940 Posts
The other common version of a high/low beam system has the HID bulb for low beam and a halogen bulb mounted right beside it for the high beam. They both are mounted in the same socket.

As was said, you need the shield. On low beam the bulb element is inside the shield, and on high beam an electromagnet retracts the bulb from the shield and exposes the element for high beam. Plus it shields the light so you can't see it directly, which would be blinding to look at. HID's are basically like a welding arc and you can't look at them directly.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
as mentioned, the shield is for the bright reflector only. you may use them or leave them out. all it does is change the light pattern. I chose to keep them on, since I don't use the bright anymore. Don't really need it for this light.

I took the shields off the lights for the truck, since it already have one installed from the stock Halogens...

Adjust the light properly and you'll never use the bright function.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Of course there is no lag. You only have one bulb.

The lag I am referring to is in a 2 HID bulb setup, the lag being the time it takes the high beam bulb to warm up.

I made my own 2 bulb system. I trimmed away the mounting base from the two bulbs, made my own mounting base to match the H4 configuration and then put the 2 bulbs into the new base. I run a relay so the low stays on even when the high is on, so that while the high bulb warms up, I am not sitting there in the dark. My high is 70w instead of the normal 35w, so combined with the low, I have a mini sun guiding my way.

Before I see a dozen questions on it - no, the heat from 2 bulbs has never been an issue.

Ryan says he found someone that makes a 2 HID bulb system, but I have not yet seen it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts