M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the last few days for some reason I can't shake this thought as i have been thinking back over the 2010 riding season and how much more comfortable I am getting the C leaned over at speed then when i first got it at the end of June.

I have a road i have ridden maybe 7 times since I found it in late 2009 , a wonderful road to ride. NO traffic, elevation changes, sweet twisties a straight or two that will let you wind out 2nd gear, and the ever pleasing and puckering elevation change in mid twisty.

this road features (in the direction i ride it) a nice tight left that goes maybe 100-110* , no lines to use as a guide, the road is a bit downhill & then drops quickly outta sight for the exit of the corner, and i think most visually overwhelming to me is that it has the right shoulder built out a a few feet. Of the 7 times i have ridden it I have totally blown the set-up for this corner at least twice, the last time with 2 riders behind me that had to also check-up, & stop because of my mis judgement. I had to straighten the bike and brake using the extended right shoulder as a run-off to finish stopping and gather myself.

I am pretty sure I know why I am setting this corner up incorrectly, with no middle line to use as judgement for what the road is gonna do I was/am using the extended right shoulder as a guide for the middle of the road and as a determination what the road is gonna do around that blind corner. Since the shoulder is extended that way it is and doesn't follow the road true I am totally setting up the corner wrong. Figuring this corner out and working on being able to process all the info that corner throws at ya is gonna be high on my to-do list for the 2011.

anybody got a tip for helping set up sharp blind left handers that could help me? and as a rule(not 100%) i dont go blasting thru blind corners faster then my line of sight will let me stop , if i did the results on that 40 foot of asphalt could have been devastating for the C & me

anybody else having/had difficulties on a specific type or even a specific corner that they had to work thru or are currently working thru??

·
Registered
58 Posts
There is a right hander out on Cotter road, near Canberra that bites me everytime. Being a righthander for us, would be similar to a left hander for you guys.
Its a marked as a 45km/h corner, but it has this nasty off-camber run-off on the exit.
Ive ridden that road dozens of times, yet some how I always forget until its too late and I'm nearly tasting the 2m drop-off at the edge.

·
Registered
408 Posts
every corner is the worst for me, i like corners but i'm always afraid that the rear will break free and slide out of control!

i never went down with a motorcycle before, having said that, there are two kinds of motorcycle riders #1 those whom has fallen down #2 those whom will fall down!

that's why i go in easy in a corner and come out hard.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Bigggjack, you may also be focussed on the right shoulder causing spot fixation
(where you look the bike will go)

I like left hand corners better just because i dont like rubbing the exhaust........
it scares the hell out of me

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
.... I have totally blown the set-up for this corner at least twice, the last time with 2 riders behind me that had to also check-up, & stop because of my mis judgement.
I'm no expert but I wanted to mention a couple things. One is when your the ride leader you have the responsibility to set a proper pace because most riders behind you think "well if he can take the corner that fast...so can I". On the flip side of that those that are following the leader need to remember to ride their "own" line at their "own" speed and not focus on what the guy ahead of you is doing so much. Let your peripheral vision pick him up while you focus on your own line.

As far as whats the worst curve for me. I hate badly engineered double apexing curves. There's two of them on the Cherohala Skyway that I know of and you set up correctly for the curve but about 1/2 way through it dramatically tightens on you again without warning. If your not careful and your carrying too much speed it can bite you!

As far as tight curves that seem to drop off the edge of the Earth honestly for me I've just adopting the mentality of err on the side of caution and reduce your speed ESPECIALLY if I'm on a road that I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I really dont think about it. I know the point of no return and stay just before it, knock on wood, no problems :p

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
As far as whats the worst curve for me. I hate badly engineered double apexing curves. There's two of them on the Cherohala Skyway that I know of and you set up correctly for the curve but about 1/2 way through it dramatically tightens on you again without warning. If your not careful and your carrying too much speed it can bite you!

As far as tight curves that seem to drop off the edge of the Earth honestly for me I've just adopting the mentality of err on the side of caution and reduce your speed ESPECIALLY if I'm on a road that I'm not familiar with.
Also known as a decreasing radius.

And yes they suck, especially when there is no bank built into the corner. That is why it is important that every rider use the SLOW, LOOK, PRESS (or LEAN), ROLL technique.

·
Registered
300 Posts
go out alone to practice and ride it slow a few times and then gradually gain speed with each following run. its like learning to keep a car in your lane.you over think it for quite a while then all of the sudden youve done it so much that you realize your not even thinking about it, and just doin it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm no expert but I wanted to mention a couple things. One is when your the ride leader you have the responsibility to set a proper pace because most riders behind you think "well if he can take the corner that fast...so can I". On the flip side of that those that are following the leader need to remember to ride their "own" line at their "own" speed
I could be wrong and Square Rounder who was third inline can publicly correct me if I am I don't think it would have been pacing problem for myself or the othere riders, they had to check up and stop to check on me since I out of blue had stopped on the side of the road.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I could be wrong and Square Rounder who was third inline can publicly correct me if I am I don't think it would have been pacing problem for myself or the othere riders, they had to check up and stop to check on me since I out of blue had stopped on the side of the road.
Oh it might not have been. I wasn't there. I was just making a general comment to remember when leading a ride is all. Sometimes it's just a really bad corner.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh it might not have been. I wasn't there. I was just making a general comment to remember when leading a ride is all. Sometimes it's just a really bad corner.
And a good thought to keep in mind it is aand something I need to remembere when playing road captain. Foturenatewly for me most I ride with are better riders then I on more nimble bikes

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I never met a curve I didn't like....LOL :D.

I don't like curves that are banked so steeply that I can't lean this beast over much. The curves I don't like are the ones that cause me to drag frame. I also hate rough asphalt...the rocky, bumpy kind sux!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I know you all are talking about what kind of curves. There's not many twisties around my area. It's the normal right and left turns. I do find that I have issues with a normal right hand turn more often than a left turn.
Really don't realize how far I lean (left) till I feel the peg scrape.

·
Registered
224 Posts
In short....don't ride the redline!

BE THE CURVE!!!!! :doorag:........:D
Thanks GeorgiaRoller, i'm Road Captain for our chapter of Patriots, I put an email out regularly to our members about ride safety, I'll sent this one to them.

Guv

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Long bike!

The 109 is a long wheelbase bike, heavy, and low to the ground. It's great on long sweepers, but not so great on really sharp turns.
There's one just outside Port Costa that not only makes a sharp u turn, but goes up at a very steep angle. And it's narrow, and the road surface is getting worse every time I ride it. I don't like it downhill or up. There's one even worse on Redwood road in the Oakland hills. Very steep. All you can do is go slow downhill, or slip the clutch uphill. So far I've made it without incident, but it's a white knuckle trip.
The road to the top of Mount Diablo is fun too, especially when a car is coming the other way. But the view is worth it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Decreasing radius over an apex is always annoying, but that's why I ride each road slow for the first time that I run it....I set the ride in my brain & then there are no surprises. If I've never ridden a road, I ride it like a grandma compared to my usual pace of riding like a grandpa...LOL :joke:

As for my usual riding style, one of my friends said it best...."Obviously you're not afraid of getting a speeding ticket when you're out riding because you sure never pay attention to speed limit signs...."

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I also hate the curves that tighten as you go through them. I want to accelerate when I roll out of a curve, and those throw me off. I drag my heels and put the bike into the corner first, allowing me more room for error. If there's an issue, I can pull the bike up, or I can throw my body weight into the turn without using anymore of my ground clearance.

As GR said, ride your own ride at your skill level. My dad rides like a teenager on a crotch rocket, and he's rocking a 69 HD!! I warn everyone not to try to keep up with him in the corners, because it'll be your ass in the ditch, not his.

When I lead a ride, I try to know my riders, and I"ll go about 1/2 to 3/4 speed, incase someone in the group thinks " If he can do it, I can do it".

-Josh

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Get one of Kieth Codes competition riding books. They are geared towared the Crotch rocket guys but is has a lot of info on bike dynamics, how to break and roll the throttle on coming out of corners. GR's diagram is right on the button. If your going to go fast you have to look ahead of where you are in the corner so you don't fixate and try to straighten the corner by using most of your available lane. And dont ride faster than your comfortable with. Learn your limits and save some skin.
Bob

1 - 20 of 42 Posts