M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been noticeing alot of clutch studder and slipping when going to take off from a stop to first gear so i am thinking about installing the Cycle House High-performance clutch kit. so my question is what spri9ng kit is better the Cycle House High Performance Clutch Spring Set or the MTC HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH SPRINGS any help or input is highly apreciated thank you

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Synthetic oil (20w-50)... Tipping bike to right side before taking off. Springs and clutch probably will NOT help.
i got synthetic oil in never new bout tipping to the right but its bad somethings got to be wrong bc starting to take off up hill or making a u turn it studders sooooo bad !!

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
i got synthetic oil in never new bout tipping to the right but its bad somethings got to be wrong bc starting to take off up hill or making a u turn it studders sooooo bad !!
It is caused by lack of lubrication in the clutch itself. I know what you are refering to... It's alot like tire hop. Changing to the Cycle House clutch and/or springs, will not fix your problem. It will be a waste of your money, and a huge disapointment in the end. Call me, I'll explain more.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is caused by lack of lubrication in the clutch itself. I know what you are refering to... It's alot like tire hop. Changing to the Cycle House clutch and/or springs, will not fix your problem. It will be a waste of your money, and a huge disapointment in the end. Call me, I'll explain more.
ok will do

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
as far as oil i think that he like Mobil1.

and im goingto pass this info on to rusty as he is having the same issues.

and kind of on topic. isnt barnett looking into a high perf clutch for our bikes??

·
Registered
108 Posts
tipping bike to the right?

Synthetic oil (20w-50)... Tipping bike to right side before taking off. Springs and clutch probably will NOT help.
Hink,

You recommend tipping the bike to the right before taking off. Should this be done while the bike warms up and how long?

Thanks!:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Hink,

You recommend tipping the bike to the right before taking off. Should this be done while the bike warms up and how long?

Thanks!:bigthumbsup:
Well, being completely honest, I no longer have this issue since using "Motorkote". But, I started my bike, checked the air pressure in tires, and pre-tripped bike. Then I would get on, and sway bike form side to side while straddling the bike, and working the clutch. Seemed to work. I never do it anymore... Since using the motorkote, It has only done it less than a handful of times (I think 3 times.)

www.motorkote.com

I use Mobile 1 V-Twin 20w-50 full synthetic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
slip

ashame how many issues these bikes have. it is a great rideing machine just not built to good. I was suprised thought suzuki was much better. no problems with mine yet but only 4000 miles. never heard of tipping a bike to get it going lol.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
ashame how many issues these bikes have. it is a great rideing machine just not built to good. I was suprised thought suzuki was much better. no problems with mine yet but only 4000 miles. never heard of tipping a bike to get it going lol.
There are some guys who have also drilled another hole to allow more oil in. I'll try to find that thread later.

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
......Changing to the Cycle House clutch and/or springs, will not fix your problem. It will be a waste of your money, and a huge disapointment in the end. Call me, I'll explain more.
No need to call... I have both of those and it definitely did nothing for the shudder cure. Nor does drilling holes.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,090 Posts
The oil goes in through the clutch push rod, so drilling more holes in the basket would just let it out faster. I don't see that helping.

I don't have the shudder at 18,000 miles and the only thing I do is ALWAYS hold the clutch in when I'm at a stop sign or light. Any time the clutch is disengaged it has the opportunity to get some oil between the plates. I always let it warm up for a couple minutes while I'm putting my gear on too.

I also use either Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50 synthetic or Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic. My next change will be to 20w-50 Amsoil as I like it a little better than Mobil 1.

I also don't think changing the clutch or springs will help, or at least it hasn't for others. The stock clutch is pretty good it just needs to have oil supplied to it. If you want to see what oiling does, pull the clutch apart and soak the plates over night in oil then reinstall them.

There was also a post in Shop Talk about a different wave washer that is now available that seems to help with the problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
my first several oil changes i used suzuki oil, but noticed the bike drank that stuff like gas. As time would pass the oil level went down therefore the clutch slipped. Topping it off it hooked up again. Last spring i changed to amszoil & noticed the clutch started to slip worse as time went on, I think amszoil is too slick (jmho) I now have almost 28,000mls on the bike & i went back to the honda gn4 oil that ive ran in all 4 of my previous streetbikes. I now have roughly 200mls on this oil change & it feels better everytime i ride. Gn4 has always been a great oil for me for my riding style, i personally think i should get atleast 5000 more mls out of this factory clutch. Bought this bike new in 06 and it caught serious hell the first 20,000mls not so much now, and i still love it

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
From what Ive read about synthetic is you don't change oils once your on synthetic. I do know you don't go back to regular oil from synthetic and i would not advise changing your brand like Mobil to another synthetic or vice versa.

I'm running Mobil 1 15/50, good all season oil here in New England. My clutch is doing nothing but a little noise when it shutters. Its slowly going away. I'm at about 45,000 and love the bike. At least now it don't feel like its going to launch out from under you and end up on someones lawn. :joke:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
From what Ive read about synthetic is you don't change oils once your on synthetic. I do know you don't go back to regular oil from synthetic and i would not advise changing your brand like Mobil to another synthetic or vice versa.
Silly info. You can switch brands at any time or go back to natural oil at any time (or mix them if you want). Full synthetic is superior though.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I replaced the clutch with the MTC kit from DLP, I also purchased springs at the same time. (Not the heavy duty ones)....

I haven't had any shudder issues in the last 12000 miles, none.

Jazz

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought my bike form a fellow 9 rider and I have no idea what oil he used. So I switched to REDLINE full synthetic and now it seems to me like my clutch is getting looser and looser. I am hoping that it is because of the oil change, the old oil that I replaced was BLACK. Other than that, I have had no issues on mine. 18,500 miles on it currently and going to the Mid-Atlantic meet. :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know I know, it' probably not an spring/clutch plate issue.
But what has not been mentioned is a clutch cable that is adjusted
too tight. When this motor torques up you need a good amount of
clutch cable slack to make up for motor movement.

Just a thought...make sure you have plenty of slack at the lever.
I think the general rule these days is 2 quarters at the lever.

I was just thinkin'......

Jeff / Foo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts