M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've purchased and have been riding my 9 for a year now and am having a blast. I don't do alot of riding but as I'm getting more and more into riding, I've noticed some peculiar traits about one group of persons...Harley Davidson owners!!!

Now that the fall season is upon on us, I really see the biking action kicking in. I've started riding just by myself (not in a group) to decompress from "stuff" from the workweek. Invariably, my salesman side comes out when I get to a bar/grill for something to drink/eat and just to take a break. I like meeting and talking to people just to get their thoughts/views on biking and rally's and just stuff in general. Overall, I'd say that every owner of a bike regardless of brand, really goes above and beyond to welcome me into this hobby and it's really neat to meet genuine people.

Whelp, I've noticed on a couple of occassions that whether at an eatery or on the road, it seems as if HD riders have a penchant to not even acknowledge or speak to you. Whether by themselves or in a group, at a bar or on the highway, they will NOT "throw up the deuce" to at least acknowledge another rider. At bars, they tend to sit in a group with this sort of StarWars deflector shield around their group. As well, those few that do speak seem come off with this "my kung-fu is better than yours" philosophy to bike manufacturer, performance, value, upgrades, mods, etc.

Questions:

Am I missing something here because I didn't get the memo about bikers being azzzes to other bikers??? :dontknow:

If you happen to know someone that has this sort of disposition, what are they tellin you as to the "secret society" and their relation to the biking community? ???

Hurricane X

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
you must be new to the bike thing. HD is a cult, occasionally you'll find one that gets it but the rest are sold on the brand and they have to believe it so they don't realize how much money they wasted to become followers instead of leaders

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I would consider myself a newbee.

I was wondering if the "C" word befit them. There's even a guy in my neighborhood with one that's fully dressed and if me and the guys have our bikes out cleaning them, this guy drives by and won't even say hello. He just stares straight ahead and cruises on by.

The other guys in the neighborhood are experienced riders (one with a 9 also) and they pay him no mind while I'm like WTF is his deal???

What's funny is a couple of weeks ago, I pulled up at a bar that was showing the UFC fight. I got there early and I was the first bike (bikes park right up front). I've got ProHouse aftermarkets on my bike so it has a loud rumble and growl. So as soon as I turned off the bike, this raspy voiced, grungy lookin', Roughian looking guys (with 2 old-lookin'-crows hangin' off of him), he yells out," What is that, a Harley?". Of course I said no and yelled back, "it's a Zook". Guess what his response was???...

"I don't ride nothin' but Harleys".

So instinctively I rotated my head around looking left and right about 3 times and asked him,"Cool!!!, which one is yours???". Waaah-Waaah-Waaah. The proverbial hissssssss of the air seeping out of his little bubble right before it popped was classic.

Hurricane X

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
HEY GRAMPI .......wheredahell is Grampi when ya need him ?!?!?

He'll be chirpin in soon I bet :bigthumbsup: :clap2:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'd have to say my experience with HD owners I personally know is good. They all are in the "if it's got 2 wheels" group. They are more about the ride as to what you ride. They aren't the posers like a lot of the guys are these days. Usually not hard to spot them.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
It all comes down to individuals just like everything else in life. Yes there are those that fit the preconcieved mold or sterotype to a T! Like the snobby & stuck up HD crowd who think anything other than a HD is simply not a motorcycle at all.

Having said that IMO an even larger % of people don't fit into the mold or sterotype. I've seen the Asshat HD folks in person and I've seen even more nice HD riders and have friends that ride HD. I was just on the Blue Ridge Parkway and two guys in their upper 40's came over and were drooling over my bike, asking questions....etc. One rode a Triumph and one rode your typical cookie cutter HD. Both were real nice dudes.

The hardcore biker bar type HD guys in a group are usually the ones that won't have anything to do with you and that's mainly because they don't want to let their fellow HD BudLight drinking buddies down. :doorag:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
HEY GRAMPI .......wheredahell is Grampi when ya need him ?!?!?

He'll be chirpin in soon I bet :bigthumbsup: :clap2:
I'm here. The thread seems to be doing fine without me. I see all this HD crap all the time. It's hard to reason with Kool-Aid drinkers...:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
They need to believe HD is superior, so they do not feel stupid for the amount they shell out for it.

Trust me, I shelled out the money for more than one HD.

A friend with a HD is spending more money this winter on a new motor to try to run with my 9, than I spent buying and making my 9 my own.

·
Banned
408 Posts
Well you won't find me going to biker bars etc. but I usually ride with my GF and we stop for lunch which may have a few bikers. We've never had a problem, although they do stare at her (D chest & size 3) it doesn't bother me. While riding it's a crap shoot, some HD guys wave, others don't. I find that MOST guys on ducatis DON'T wave, must be a stuck up italian bike thing.
If they don't wave I don't take it personally, but honestly 15 years ago NO HD rider would wave, at least now I'd say 40% do. What I hate is getting stuck behind them & having to smell gas fumes!! :confused:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know exactly what your talkin' about!

I posted a picture of my new 9 on my Facebook, and an older family friend commented saying "It's not a Harley, but it's still in the wind"

This made me SO irritated. Not irritated that my bike wasn't a HD, but because she really thought that HD was like the Jesus of Motorcycles. And nothing could ever compare to a HARLEY...

Suppose I can't take it too much to heart though, as she doesn't own a motorcycle at all.

It's an older generation thing maybe, I'm 26, and my Army buddies my age are all like "if it has two wheels it's good". Most of them are more into Sport bikes anyway. But they like my 9 :doorag:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Too add to this thread, I ran in to a Harley guy the other day. He asked me if I was trying to make my bike "sound" like a Harley (I run a HK Sideburner) I told him that it sounded like a M109R to me, and last I checked, Harley didn't have the patent on "LOUD".

Honestly, more than not, most "Harley Guys" are ok. It just takes a few azz holes to blow it for the rest of em.

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Was talking with my realtor the utter day

And he is the HD chapter head in his part of WA, and he rides a very nice full dress HD . We was talking speed , while having our usual cigar on his office deck, and he was saying he hit 120 the other day, and I asked,,,,,How many gears you have. He said 6. I laughed a lil and said i can do 120 in 4th. LOL He just laughed....... I find about 60% HD riders here think like my Realtor. If it has 2 wheels Kudos,,,,,,,,, Now when we went to vegas last month , we went to a watering hole, and 4 of them come out looked, and asked WTH are they. Told them Zooks, and in their drunken ways. "We don't ride nuttin but Harleys" Well in their condition I observed, I don't think they were capable of riding anything..... I looked for their bikes and saw a few and one is what one would call a rat rod. I think he even had his rust clear coated....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Whelp Grampi, this isn't a bash against HD (the bike). I'm just inquiring about the mentallity displayed by ALOT of HD owners that I've been in front of.

Personally, I think Harley's are some of the purrrrtiest bikes out there when dressed up. But I do like Ducati's, Yamaha's, Triumphs, etal. Heck, I love anything with 2 wheels.

But there seems to be this "something" I just can't put my hands on. Kind of like a certain type of "religion". I think there's two sides of the same glass...The one they talk to the public/media about, and then the one they talk within their own ranks about when no outsider is around....But hey, that's just me guessin'.

Last example, 6 months ago I pulled up to the Harley place with my friend just to check and see if they had chrome handlebar tips...Everyone asked me "When was I going to upgrade"??? Friggin' annoying as Heck!!! I couldn't wait for him to pay and get off that supposed "Sacred Ground". I think it starts from the manufacturer and trickled down their salespeople, then obviously onto their customers.

X

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Same here, I have a few in my neighbor hood.When I had my Shadow 1100, they would wave. Since I have the beast, it seems like they are not top dog anymore and they snub you. Even on through town, there are some that wonl lift a finger off the bar to wave.

G

·
I've purchased and have been riding my 9 for a year now and am having a blast. I don't do alot of riding but as I'm getting more and more into riding, I've noticed some peculiar traits about one group of persons...Harley Davidson owners!!!

Now that the fall season is upon on us, I really see the biking action kicking in. I've started riding just by myself (not in a group) to decompress from "stuff" from the workweek. Invariably, my salesman side comes out when I get to a bar/grill for something to drink/eat and just to take a break. I like meeting and talking to people just to get their thoughts/views on biking and rally's and just stuff in general. Overall, I'd say that every owner of a bike regardless of brand, really goes above and beyond to welcome me into this hobby and it's really neat to meet genuine people.

Whelp, I've noticed on a couple of occassions that whether at an eatery or on the road, it seems as if HD riders have a penchant to not even acknowledge or speak to you. Whether by themselves or in a group, at a bar or on the highway, they will NOT "throw up the deuce" to at least acknowledge another rider. At bars, they tend to sit in a group with this sort of StarWars deflector shield around their group. As well, those few that do speak seem come off with this "my kung-fu is better than yours" philosophy to bike manufacturer, performance, value, upgrades, mods, etc.

Questions:

Am I missing something here because I didn't get the memo about bikers being azzzes to other bikers??? :dontknow:

If you happen to know someone that has this sort of disposition, what are they tellin you as to the "secret society" and their relation to the biking community? ???

Hurricane X
That's because in their eyes you are "unworthy". You have not been sufficiently "lifestyled" for them to ackowledge your existence. Only after you've adopted the wardrobe, the lingo, and the attitude, can you truly appreciate the "freedom" and "individuality" that can only come from being a HD owner. Funny when it's all written down isn't it?

The real comical part is that if you were to return later that same day to the same bunch that snubbed you, this time on a rented HD, and sporting the company logo on every stich of clothing on your body, you would be welcomed with open arms.

It's almost cult-like...and like all cults, full of brainwashed "individuals", walking and talking exactly like everyone else in the room. Sad, really...

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
And he is the HD chapter head in his part of WA, and he rides a very nice full dress HD . We was talking speed , while having our usual cigar on his office deck, and he was saying he hit 120 the other day, and I asked,,,,,How many gears you have. He said 6. I laughed a lil and said i can do 120 in 4th. LOL He just laughed....... I find about 60% HD riders here think like my Realtor. If it has 2 wheels Kudos,,,,,,,,, Now when we went to vegas last month , we went to a watering hole, and 4 of them come out looked, and asked WTH are they. Told them Zooks, and in their drunken ways. "We don't ride nuttin but Harleys" Well in their condition I observed, I don't think they were capable of riding anything..... I looked for their bikes and saw a few and one is what one would call a rat rod. I think he even had his rust clear coated....
IN refernece to that watering hole, I was just there cpl nights ago same ole fart standing outfront. Asked the same thing "what is it?" I told him a "zook beast". after I went inside and sat down he came up to me talking about how all these awesome bikes (refering to the 9) came throught last month. I just laughed and said that was my buddies and me. He then proceeded to buy me a drink and say " you guys have some nice wheels" i replied "thank you, by the way, what do you ride?" he just looked at me said "I dont, enjoy the coke" and wondered off..

Thought it was kinda funny seeing how that place caters to riders....:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
IN refernece to that watering hole, I was just there cpl nights ago same ole fart standing outfront. Asked the same thing "what is it?" I told him a "zook beast". after I went inside and sat down he came up to me talking about how all these awesome bikes (refering to the 9) came throught last month. I just laughed and said that was my buddies and me. He then proceeded to buy me a drink and say " you guys have some nice wheels" i replied "thank you, by the way, what do you ride?" he just looked at me said "I dont, enjoy the coke" and wondered off..

Thought it was kinda funny seeing how that place caters to riders....:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
LOL Another point, They are loyal to places that cater to their beliefs........And yes that rumble of beautiful machines last month , IT be us. lol That was a great time. Thanks for showing us around........

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
LOL Another point, They are loyal to places that cater to their beliefs........And yes that rumble of beautiful machines last month , IT be us. lol That was a great time. Thanks for showing us around........
Hey no problem, I am already scoping places out for next years meet, if it happens. Got a cpl of ideas for rides that i will be getting with Badapl with and seeing what we conger up. either way, it will be a blast

·
Registered
335 Posts
Another factor that I have noticed is that most of the riders with the stereotype personalities, are just short route riders. Meaning they ride in town or county only. I have nothing against short distance riders. It is just a pattern that I noticed. I often have HD riders tag along on some of my long rides and they do not fit the stereotype. Also keep in mind that some people just don't know anything different. Of course, distance riders see another not so known stereotype and that is some Wing riders are whole different animal.

Ride your ride, that is all that matters to me.

Welcome to the forum, Hurricane X!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Harley Riders

WHO CARES,I mean do you really care if someone you don't even know acknowledges you because you are on a motorcycle.I have been hearing this them vs us since I started riding motorcycles.I could care less if some one does or does wave or say hello whatever kind of bike they are on.you have good and bad people everywhere.more important that YOU enjoy your ride regardless of badge.just try not to be the same as the people you are complaining about.RIDE SAFE :doorag:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts