M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Rifle Solo or the SUZ Touring
What looks and performs the best
Anyone have these let me know how you like them.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Well...

I bought this from a fellow rider...Thanx SVZuki!

But to be honest, i do not like it. ALSO. I have it mounted much higher to try and get the wind over my Shoei helmet, but to no avail.

It only moved the wind from my chest directly into my face. I am 6' tall and about 330lbs. I would suggest a different one than the one i bought. Now my head kind of bounces around, BUT it did get the wind out of my chest which means i could "theoretically"ride longer than normal.

I did want to try it and appreciate the AWESOME deal me SVZuki made me... you rock bro!

Cheers...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well...

I bought this from a fellow rider...Thanx SVZuki!

But to be honest, i do not like it. ALSO. I have it mounted much higher to try and get the wind over my Shoei helmet, but to no avail.

It only moved the wind from my chest directly into my face. I am 6' tall and about 330lbs. I would suggest a different one than the one i bought. Now my head kind of bounces around, BUT it did get the wind out of my chest which means i could "theoretically"ride longer than normal.

I did want to try it and appreciate the AWESOME deal me SVZuki made me... you rock bro!

Cheers...
i think it might be the shoei helmets i have the touring screen on my 90 and the same thing hits the helmet shakes like crazy so much it makes the road blurry but i tried my nolan flip helmet and its alot better still buffets but not as much

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I like the Memphis Shades "Shooter"

·
Registered
637 Posts
I run the V-Stream, and I have the same prob as RJC, it does move the air from the chest to the head, about where the visor is on a full face. I think the Vstream is design for people less than 6 feet, as I am 6-1. it improves the ride a little, and looks good, so I will give it a :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
for looks you cant beat the v-stream but you do give up a little in wind protection (I got the tour, light tint so it dont change the 9's lines)

I was ready to toss it and get a big ugly one but.........

with forum help and several adjustments and tweaks to the brackets,
I really like it (at 6' I just feel the wind across the top of my head)

the molded top does distort the view of the road about 5' ahead of bike

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Looking at the Rifle Solo or the SUZ Touring
What looks and performs the best
Anyone have these let me know how you like them.
Used the rifle solo on my 4600 mile round trip from VA to AZ worked extremely well for me..Shields arent for me..but it worked well and looked fine on my R2. Best part is once I got it set up the way I wanted takes about 40-50 seconds to remove it or put it back on. I would arrive in cities as we were traveling and get into hotel remove it and go out and cruise the town for a bit with no shield. Oh yeah Im 6'4 if youre concerned with height.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Research

After doing some extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that there are "very few" shields that will block the wind from hitting your helmet.

Rifle SoloShield for all Cruisers
http://www.rifle.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Memphis Shades;

Hell Cat

Shooter

Big Shot (provides the most coverage, need adapters for 1 1/4" handlebars)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently have a National Cycle VStream Tour Windshield for my M109R2.

I purchased the "Tour" model so that I could use it as a real windshield and block the wind from my body. Little did I realize that National Cycle did not consider the "Head portion" of the body to be part of the body. Unfortunately, my helmet still gets buffeted around with the wind. What the National Cycle Tour windshield "DID" do for me was to take the wind off my chest, which was a "HUGE" improvement in comfortable riding. I used this shield in a 4000 mile trip through AZ and Utah, and it did make the trip much more comfortable than not having a shield. What I noticed was that I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day from trying to hang onto the handlebars.....as opposed to be blown off the bike by a chest full of wind....

After doing the research, and using the Vstream Tour, I've concluded that the Rifle is going to be the best fit. While its not the best looking for the lines of the bike, I'm more interested in getting to my destination in comfort, without the bugs in the teeth and exhausted from hanging onto the handlebars due to wind drag. So, I dropped some large coin and ordered a Rifle Shield and Rifle Lowers to go with the Shield. After looking over the Memphis Shades, I was unable to find Memphis Shades Lowers that would go with the Big Shot shield....

So, in the near future, I'll have a National Cycle VStream for a M109R2 for sale.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Shields, bah

I can only tell you my opinion after 50 years of riding everything. If you want real wind protection, you need a full fairing. Everything else is a compromise, some worse than nothing.
Looking through a curved windshield is no fun, and dangerous, especially if it rains.
You should be able to just see over a windshield sitting normally.
My 1500 Intruder had a big windshield and lowers. It was great except for my hands. The wind actually accelerated off the sides, and made my hands colder than my sport bike with a tiny windshield.
So while fairings don't appeal to everyone because of looks and expense, nothing else works quite as well for high speed traveling.
If you're just cruising around (40-50 mph) curvy country roads, no shield at all is better.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've used the V-stream and the Rifle Solo. V-stream- not happening for me. The wind hit my helmet, so what was the point? The Rifle- once I angled the shield basically parallel to the forks, great job. At a steeper angle I got lots of buffeting to the shield. We rode a 1,200 mile weekend to Dallas and thereabouts recently, and I didn't ever get tired and wind/rain weary. The thing detaches in about ten seconds, which is perfect for in-town riding. I will definitely use it every time for long rides. Got it here for around 200 bucks(thanks to nothingstranger). For practicality and ease of removal,l go Rifle.
I have had no problems with the curvature, which is the same situation as in a cage, btw.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
You should be able to just see over a windshield sitting normally.
This is why I lowered my Rifle Solo shield
I see over it but the wind goes over my head
rarely get the heavier bug to come straight
at my goggles but most get deflected with air.

Here are a few pictures of another member's bike
who gave me the inspiration to lower mine , I had to
anyways , after I installed the risers and turned my
handlebars up , my shield looked funny way up top .

Just redrill holes in plastic in line with old ones
it gives a whole new area of adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have both of the OEM Suzuki shields.....I'm 6'1" and started out with the sport and it made riding worse. It buffets your head/helmet so bad that it made it hard to focus on road signs while riding. A year later, I bought the touring model thinking that the larger frontal area may reduce the wind buffeting more but I was wrong....same result as the sport shield....WIND BUFFETING! I prefer no shield at all but had a 1000+ mile trip planned so I thought it would reduce fatigue associated with fighting the headwinds.

I left the windshields at home because the fatigue from fighting the buffeting was worse.

I have read a few posts that suggest the RIFLE UPPER & LOWER (Fork) shields are the best combo to have. Evidently, the wind that hits the front of the fuel tank gets pushed upwards and into the chest area and can be reduced or maybe even stopped with the lowers. Combine that with the upper and you should have a pretty "solid" result. Good Luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had the rifle on my bike when i bought it and though it worked great i hated the way it looked. I just installed the vstream sport and after some adjusting and test riding i like it. It does not keep the wind off my face but keeps it off of my chest and shoulders thus preventing the body parachute feeling. I first put it as high as it would go and didn't like it, lots of head shaking. Then i dropped it to the manufactures suggested start setting of 1.75" above the lower triple. Still not quite right so i brought it up to 2.25" and it's perfect, for me. The crappy thing about windshields is they are too expensive to buy one and if you don't like it buy another.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have both of the OEM Suzuki shields.....I'm 6'1" and started out with the sport and it made riding worse. It buffets your head/helmet so bad that it made it hard to focus on road signs while riding. A year later, I bought the touring model thinking that the larger frontal area may reduce the wind buffeting more but I was wrong....same result as the sport shield....WIND BUFFETING! I prefer no shield at all but had a 1000+ mile trip planned so I thought it would reduce fatigue associated with fighting the headwinds.

I left the windshields at home because the fatigue from fighting the buffeting was worse.

I have read a few posts that suggest the RIFLE UPPER & LOWER (Fork) shields are the best combo to have. Evidently, the wind that hits the front of the fuel tank gets pushed upwards and into the chest area and can be reduced or maybe even stopped with the lowers. Combine that with the upper and you should have a pretty "solid" result. Good Luck.
Tried the sport .. No good

1 - 20 of 36 Posts