M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 38 and even if Im closer to the end I started studying 4 years ago and Ill be ready for the world again this Xmas :bigthumbsup:. Anyway, the thing is this...... I have owned about everything when it comes to engines, but let us keep it to the bikes. They have been everything between Motocross, enduro, Japanese streetkillers, Streetfighters, Harley (one) and English classics (prefer Norton). The thing is now that I have decided to buy a new bike after Xmas and go on a "HellOfaJourny" in Europe next summer. As I really dont care about if its a Harley or a Japanese, or if its a Streetfighter or a glider I have to say that I think I have found the ultimate bike for me (in Europe M1800R). Now to the questions:

1. Ive read that the 109 doesnt run smooth on low rews? Is that a problem or is it just something the test-authors have to mention?

2. I read that you sit more layed back on other sporty cruisers. Is that something that makes the trip with a 109 uncomfortable if you run for a long time in a row or is it perhaps better? Important as my next summer will include aprox 5000 mile in 15-20 days.

3. Just if I need to think about something else? Im sure ill find answers on everything if I search the forum but belive me......... Ive read alot in here but still I might have missed something, like normal faults, what to think about, what has to be done if I buy a new one or what I should be aware of if I buy a used one.

Thanks Ola/Sweden

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
It does seem to shudder or vibrate some at low revs when you open the throttle without downshifting to make it go but a quick downshift to a lower gear before opening the throttle cures that. It is more of a personality the beast has rather than a problem. I have 3k miles now and no regrets or problems. Hope you enjoy your midlife crisis. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Soderberg said:
Im 38 and even if Im closer to the end I started studying 4 years ago and Ill be ready for the world again this Xmas :bigthumbsup:. Anyway, the thing is this...... I have owned about everything when it comes to engines, but let us keep it to the bikes. They have been everything between Motocross, enduro, Japanese streetkillers, Streetfighters, Harley (one) and English classics (prefer Norton). The thing is now that I have decided to buy a new bike after Xmas and go on a "HellOfaJourny" in Europe next summer. As I really dont care about if its a Harley or a Japanese, or if its a Streetfighter or a glider I have to say that I think I have found the ultimate bike for me (in Europe M1800R). Now to the questions:

1. Ive read that the 109 doesnt run smooth on low rews? Is that a problem or is it just something the test-authors have to mention?

2. I read that you sit more layed back on other sporty cruisers. Is that something that makes the trip with a 109 uncomfortable if you run for a long time in a row or is it perhaps better? Important as my next summer will include aprox 5000 mile in 15-20 days.

3. Just if I need to think about something else? Im sure ill find answers on everything if I search the forum but belive me......... Ive read alot in here but still I might have missed something, like normal faults, what to think about, what has to be done if I buy a new one or what I should be aware of if I buy a used one.

Thanks Ola/Sweden
#1 Bike runs fine just have to get used to it like any machine, smooth as silk.

#2 Im 6'0" i dont have any back pain issues with the bike my arms are just about perfect length. I stop and stretch a little while fueling no problems though.

#3 Buy the bike you wont regret it. If you plan on doing that many miles you "might" consider changing the stock seat to me it was not comfortable there are several choices.

Conclusion damn nice bike i love to ride it :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
543 Posts
This bike rocks.I had a 04 Wing overated in my book,I like Valkyries better,but I got stupid,and got a wing.A woman decided to take me out and totaled it,almost me too.I was going to get another wing when they droped the one I wanted.Then I found Lamonster and the 109,I meet him on the Valkyrie board he was the founder,and Hal was their too.These guys know bikes and should be on their own show.I only lasted one week reading and had to get a 9.I even told Suzuki the should give the lad something,cuz he sells more 9's than any commerical.It purs like a kitten,I like the rumble,sort like the harley cadence,but two crank pins.Its got more power than some cars on the road.At high speed the sound goes away to a sweet rumbel.You won't be disappointed dude get one. 8)

·
Registered
664 Posts
#1 the first few miles are an adjustment in throttle control.. but at about 200 miles+ you'll have no problems... just a standard learning curve....

2. I have heard from guys 5'6 to 6'5 (I'm 6'4) and most people are pretty comfy... a few guys have turned there bars up to help out a little....

3. like a few of the other guys ... check the overfill issue... check the rims and check the chrome/paint (i think this is part of buying any motorcycle) and you'll be good...

the thing I tell people when there asking about the bike... if it looks good and like a bike you would love to own.. well buy it, you won't be disappointed.. .

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd advise you to ride it if you can before buying. It's a great bike, very powerful. But it does vibrate, especially between 3-4k rpm. Some people like that, some people don't. The best thing you can do is try it for yourself.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
I am not sure what that first sentence means, but Helluvajourney does not sound like 109 territory to me.
I do no know what this ride will be but my first thought was BMW or something like a sport tourer. This bike ROCKS!! but it is all about the ride and what the hooligan inside you wants to do today. I dont feel its about the journey.
When I think of covering europe on a ride, I dont think of this bike.
When I think of riding somewhere and having a bada$$ time I DO think of this bike even if its hundreds of miles away.

If you will be cruising, buy something else that looks the part and cruises better

If you will be riding, by a different type of bike

Also please consider support. If you are going all over will they have nany 240 or 260 tires for you there?

Let us know how it goes

Sledzep

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
good=everything
bad=nothing that i know of

:bigthumbsup: :super: :doorag:

·
Registered
516 Posts
I am 5'6" or so, and I find the rising position just perfect, the bike DOES vibrate somewhat, but what engine won't designed with all that power to the rear wheel? I love the way it vibrates, just a big "ChuggaChuggaChuggaChugga" of a beast. The one thing that intimidates me somewhat is the sheer mass of the machine to move at walking speeds. Just have to get used to it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Like everyone is trying to tell you, the M109R (1800R) is a fine machine. You will not be sorry if you buy it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Soderberg: Important as my next summer will include aprox 5000 mile in 15-20 days.
If you really plan such a tour, you should start to work out!
This bike is pretty demanding and needs some muscles, especially if you want to hold on while it accelerates!
Your muscles will get sore, especially those around your mouth, because of the constant wide grin it will put on your face.

I am 1,90m tall and 350 pounds and this bike is the most comfy I ever was riding on.
But if you plan longer tours, I would think about a windshield.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Have to agree, this bike totally rocks.

Only have mine for 5 days and my driver license for 3 days :D

Take some time to master i think - kind of heavy duty !

/ Noshest
Sweden

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think Lamonster and maybe Hal and Big Joe all did several thousand mile going to Sturgis and back home again...
I would speak with them :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dickschiff said:
If you really plan such a tour, you should start to work out!
This bike is pretty demanding and needs some muscles, especially if you want to hold on while it accelerates!
Your muscles will get sore, especially those around your mouth, because of the constant wide grin it will put on your face.

I am 1,90m tall and 350 pounds and this bike is the most comfy I ever was riding on.
But if you plan longer tours, I would think about a windshield.
Well I think Ill manage that. Im a sporty guy since ever and have more or less lived my entire life in gyms or other sport buildings :D. Togehter with that I was the clown of my age and my teachers told me to shut up more than once every day so my mouth-leather are also well trained *lol* :joke:, as that personality never seems to get rid of :bigthumbsup:. By the way........ Im 6,2 and weigh 176.
Ola

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is my first bike, and it is all that I expected and more. The more I ride the more I LIKE. THE MORE I LIKE!!! :hot: :hot: :hot: :clap2: :clap2:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Absolutely one fantastic machine.
3400 miles so far and I'm short at 5'5". Very comfortable for me.
Engine is very smooth and the slow speed handling is excellent.
Buy it, you will never regret it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is an interesting thread, and even though I own a 109 -- it was still fun reading it.

I think a Eurpean trip on a 109 would be a gas -- BUT (I have also been thinking of doing this) if you're GOING to Europe -- why not buy a EUROPEAN bike for the trip (it makes more sense economically).

I've been thinking of a BMW K 1200 GT (or something like that). BMW has a "European delivery" option for US buyers. Get the bike, tour Europe on it, have it shipped back to the US -- then sell the Beemer (if you want) and get a 109 for the good ol' USA -- or NOT -- you may fall in love with the Beemer.

Let me know when you're going -- we ay be able to work out a "volume discount" from BMW.

·
Registered
665 Posts
What's GOOD about a M109?= everything! What's BAD about a M109= buying one and having to wait for the rain to quit to bring it home :(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Soderberg said:
There have been quite a few questions, concerns, and comments on this site regarding vibration with the 109. I have been riding V-twins for more than 20 years - they all inherently have some level of vibration simply due to their design - some worse than others. The 109 is very smooth at all speeds - but there is some vibration during acceleration - but it is a good vibration. It reminds you that you have an 109 ci engine between your legs with a whole lot of gitty up!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts