M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got an estimate to repair my bike......$2,000.00 more or less. It's an 06 with 32,000 miles. Is it worth it? ??? I enjoy the bike ALOT, but the shifting fork thing could and probably will happen again. I'm wondering if this is the beginning of more to come soon. I do ride it hard and don't know the life expectancy of this bike. Any opinions will be appriciated.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Where are you located? Maybe you could have another 9er in your area help you with the replacement to keep costs down.

If you get the right parts ie; solid shift forks and back cut gears, your tranny will be fine for many more miles. JUtah did his transmission with the good stuff, you might send him a PM to see if he can point you in the right direction for all the parts.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
I would fix it too. It's pricey, but the bike isn't worth much with it in the condition it's in now.

And the new items are supposedly better quality than the old items too, so maybe they will last longer.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would fix it too. It's pricey, but the bike isn't worth much with it in the condition it's in now.

And the new items are supposedly better quality than the old items too, so maybe they will last longer.
:agree: it may not seem like its worth it, but whats it worth if ya dont

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I've built cars and bikes from the ground up and I would repair it myself, If you can, just start digging into it. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
922 Posts
?Undercut??

:dontknow:
Not to burst anybodies bubble, but undercutting the gears have nothing to do with the shift forks going bad. Ask me how I know !! I think I also read somewhere that if you undercut you void warranty if you have any left.
:evil:

It is worth getting fixed though!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Not to burst anybodies bubble, but undercutting the gears have nothing to do with the shift forks going bad. Ask me how I know !! I think I also read somewhere that if you undercut you void warranty if you have any left.

I wasn't saying that back cutting the gears would help his problem, I was just saying that since he would have the tranny torn apart to put in new shift forks it would be a good idea to have it done to help prevent any problems down the road. :bigthumbsup:

And since he was asking whether his 2006 was worth fixing, I assumed he was out of warranty so he wouldn't have to worry about voiding anything................but what do I know. :dontknow:

·
Registered
300 Posts
bubble breaker

for the love of god, what are you screaming about :eek:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would fix it. I would spend a little more and have the gears under cut.
Yup, fix it. An 06' market value is still high enought to recoup your money if you decide to sell tomorrow. As for undercutting, it really depends on what kind of a rider you are. You are however at a crossroads so definitely think about it.

Here's a link on undercutting:
http://www.aperaceparts.com/transmissions.html
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1014623

good luck

·
Registered
803 Posts

sshhhhhh my G/F is sleeping in the other room:joke:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

cool, dont need my reading glasses on :joke:

·
Registered
922 Posts
I wasn't saying that back cutting the gears would help his problem, I was just saying that since he would have the tranny torn apart to put in new shift forks it would be a good idea to have it done to help prevent any problems down the road. :bigthumbsup:

And since he was asking whether his 2006 was worth fixing, I assumed he was out of warranty so he wouldn't have to worry about voiding anything................but what do I know. :dontknow:
Not targeting anyone I was just sayn' !

·
Registered
23 Posts
shifting

Ive had great results smoothing the shift up and down.Installed a pro shift star and spring and switched to amsoil 10-40 synthetic. it shifts like butter. have 30000 on my 06 and ride it pretty hard. this should help prevent weak fork from bending,and extend tranny life.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Life expectancy at 32K

Motorcycles in general will need an infusion of money over time, and parts are not cheap. The only way you can save much is by doing your own labor. Of course then you'll need the tools and space to do it, plus the desire to learn.
The alternatives are not to ride.................not an option? Then spend the money and enjoy your life. Buying a new bike is the most expensive way to deal with it. Tax, license, loss on your trade in, it adds up.
I think you just have to accept that this is an expensive hobby, and not worry about it too much.
This bike will run as long as your money holds out, just like anything else you could buy.
You would be amazed how much money people spend on toys around here. Get a fast boat and then compare the $2K you're contemplating spending.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts