1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
10-40 Amsoil :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm new to Amsoil. What makes it so good, as opposed to say, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic? It seems to have somewhat of a cult following or something. I'm just curious. I just put close to 4 qts of Mobil 1 Full Synthetic motorcycle oil in the 9 the other day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I was thinking of going synthetic next oil change but someone told me to be careful because the oil had to have certain additives because of the clutch.is this true? :confused:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
109guy said:
I was thinking of going synthetic next oil change but someone told me to be careful because the oil had to have certain additives because of the clutch.is this true? :confused:
There are EXTENSIVE RECENT THREADS ON THIS.....except, I haven't seen any on the difference between Amz and Mobil...Do a search from the tabs up top or just page down the topics...you will find half a dozenÂ

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
109guy said:
I think you mean a lack of additives, like Moly, which is not good for a wet clutch (from what I've read). Just find an oil that says for motorcycles with a wet clutch. Wal-Mart has started carrying more motorcycle products, like helmets, glasses, gloves, bar bags, and Full Synthetic Mobil 1 for motorcycles with wet clutches.

·
Registered
247 Posts
THANKS THATS THE MOST STRAIGHT TALK IVE HEARD REGARDING OIL WITH OUT GOING INTO A CHEMICAL BREAK DOWN :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dealer, Cycle stores, Walmart - depends on your choice of how much you want to spend, what you like and availability. Walmart oil is not cheap lik regular dino oil but it is cheaper than cycleshops and dealer. I would not recommend using the brand for 'in-line" cycles - but to each his own.

There are many oils (moble 1, Amsol, MOTOL, Castro, etc), many reansons (weather/climate, location, riding style, miles you put on a machine, condition of the bike), availability. In a nutshell, this site and it's members (IMO) are gr8 and will provide educated answers 4u, well, most of the times :D

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Smooth14u said:
Walmart oil is not cheap lik regular dino oil but it is cheaper than cycleshops and dealer.
Wal-Mart oil is not made by Wal-mart. It's Mobil 1, which I think has a pretty decent track record. I bought 4 qts of partial synthetic oil from the local Suz dealer and I paid over $10 more than for the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. The dealer oil was a brand I had never heard of too. So, yeah, Wal-mart is cheaper... but not lesser quality.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Medic1210 said:
Wal-Mart oil is not made by Wal-mart. It's Mobil 1, which I think has a pretty decent track record. I bought 4 qts of partial synthetic oil from the local Suz dealer and I paid over $10 more than for the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. The dealer oil was a brand I had never heard of too. So, yeah, Wal-mart is cheaper... but not lesser quality.
I used to run Mobile one in my turbo busa, Started to destroy clutches so I went to Amsoil and haven't had any trouble since. I don't mind spending a little more for quality.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
20-50 cause i live in georgia. if i lived in a cooler climate it'd be 10-40.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
20w-50 Amsoil :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mobil syn 10-40 winter mobil syn. 20-50 summer

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use the Amsoil Racing formula, just because of there wear claims. I believe they have a superior synthetic oil. My favorite, by the seat of the pants, synthetic oil was Mobil 1 redcap 15w-50. Probably just me, but the engine in my vtx ran smoother,quieter, and shifted smoother than it did with the Amsoil. I did notice some cliutch slippage problems with the Mobil 1, but I understand stronger springs dealt with that problem handily. Most synthetic oils are good, just make sure there are no additive packages that will ruin the fiber clutch plates. On the side of most oil bottles there is a round seal with the ratings and additive pagages. The bottom of the seal should be empty,nada, zip, if you want to run it in a bike with wet clutches. There have been numerous posts on the vtxoa website about oils that are very informative. I think "Tapper" had an excellent and exhaustive report on oils. There are many that will say dino oil is great as long as the temp doesn't exceed 330 degrees. I wonder what the temp of the oil is that sprays under the top of the piston from the connecting rod is at tdc. after that explosion sending the piston south.

\Suz

·
Registered
42 Posts
I forgot,
Someone commented earlier that they put 4 quarts of Mobil 1 in or some brand of oil at there last change. Dude!!!!!! You over filled it.Trust me, I've been there. Let her idle upright for 10-15 min. Shut her off, wait 3 min. and check it. Way to full by about a pint.

Suz

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Big Suzi said:
I forgot,
Someone commented earlier that they put 4 quarts of Mobil 1 in or some brand of oil at there last change. Dude!!!!!! You over filled it.Trust me, I've been there. Let her idle upright for 10-15 min. Shut her off, wait 3 min. and check it. Way to full by about a pint.

Suz
That was me... I know the proper procedure, and the supposed proper amount. When I changed the oil and filter, I had it on the side stand. When it quit flowing, I lifted the bike straight up. It began to drain again. Then I leaned it towards the pipe, and it began to drain more. I did this back and forth leaning until there was hardly any oil dripping. I added some oil to the filter and then screwed it on. Then I started filling the bike. I did just like others have said, and filled it with a little over 3 qts. (right about 3200mL). I ran the bike on level ground and let it idle for 15 minutes exactly. I shut it off and waited exactly 3 minutes. Checked the oil with the bike level and the stick just resting in the hole and it wasn't even touching the stick. I put 200mL more in. This brings up the total to 3400mL. Ran the bike again for 15 minutes, let it sit for 3 and checked it again. Still not even touching the stick. Added 100mL more and repeated the process. Same thing. Not even touching the stick. 100mL more, repeat process. Oil just touching bottom of stick. Not even in hash mark. Added maybe 50-75mL more and rode the bike to work about 35 miles. Checked the bike after I got there... Oil just below hash mark. This brings me to approx 3675mL in the bike and the oil isn't even touching the hash mark. In case you're wondering, 4qts equals 3784mL, so I'm just over 100mL shy of 4qts. I just got back off a hundred mile jaunt a few minutes ago. I'm gonna recheck it again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One other thing I have noticed is that with Amsoil you get at least a quart in every bottle, if not more. Other manufacturers seem to short you a little. When I filled mine I didn't know the proper procedure and had to drain about a pint out.

Suz

·
Registered
94 Posts
Medic1210 said:
Wal-Mart oil is not made by Wal-mart. It's Mobil 1, which I think has a pretty decent track record. I bought 4 qts of partial synthetic oil from the local Suz dealer and I paid over $10 more than for the Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. The dealer oil was a brand I had never heard of too. So, yeah, Wal-mart is cheaper... but not lesser quality.
See what I mean :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts