M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode from Ontario to Vancouver through the U.S. about 3 years ago. Ended up being about 3500 miles or so. It was also a one way trip. I moved out here, shipped my belongings, and rode the bike. One of the best experiences I ever had. I was on a Suzuki Volusia, and I had ever inch of the bike stocked with gear.
I did the trip in Spring. It was nice when I left, and really nice when I arrived, but I hit some nasty weather in between. It even snowed on me through Nebraska. For a few days it was only about 4 degrees above zero, (39F) and raining. That was why I picked up my Gerbing heated gear once I arrived...
It took me a relaxing 10 days, and I wished I had more time than that, to explore.
No major problems or mishaps. No flat tires either. Just tons O fun.
I plan to take another trip this summer. Likely from B.C. to Arizona and back. I have a friend that said he was interested as well, but the destination is not iron clad quite yet.
I just have to figure out what mods I'll do to the 109 to make her ready.
Lamont, do you rent that trailer of yours out???LOL

·
Registered
525 Posts
Longest ride: Last July. Rode 1000 miles in 19 hours (all at once ) to make it to the VTX world record ride in Marysville, OH. Rode back in 18 hours :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Christmas, 1990....went home to visit the girlfriend after basic & ait....

...I will remember that night for the rest of my life. :evil:

Oh...bike ride....sorry. :redfaced:

Most memoriable ride: Run For The Wall I went this year.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
300CREW said:
Longest ride: Last July. Rode 1000 miles in 19 hours (all at once ) to make it to the VTX world record ride in Marysville, OH. Rode back in 18 hours :bigthumbsup:
Wow, you must have been flying. I'm assuming you were on a VTX. Did it have rockets?

·
Registered
476 Posts
1999 had to take my bike from Three Forks Montana where we lived to Las Vegas, NV where we were moving too. Problem was it was late November, well below freezing, by the time I got to Salt Lake Utah had hypothermia so bad couldn't tell the motel clerk where I was from and had to give him my ID for name , stood in a hot shower for very long time before started to feel better by the time I got to Vegas the next day it was in the low 80s. Do not care for winter cycling anymore.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine was in May. Me and my buddy got drunk one night and decided we should go for a ride that next week. this was a friday night so sunday we straped on a bag and headed for Arizona from Minnesota. Neither of us had been there so we figured what the hell. We had no destinations planned just would see where we would end up the next day. It was UNBELEIVABLE. Best thing either of had ever done. when we got home it had been just over 4000 miles in 7 days.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
That's easy. Summer of 2004. I rode from Fremont, Calif. (SF Bay Area) to Bend, Oregon on my VTX 1800C. Stayed a few days then rode from there to Portland for the Oregon Brewers Festival. Stayed a couple days then rode to Seattle, WA. Stayed a day or two then rode back to Bend. Stayed overnight then headed south west towards the coast, past Crater Lake, hit California north of Crescent City then followed the coast for a long ways south, went through the Avenue of the Giants, etc. Made it back to the Bay Area the next day. Oh, and I hit 15 Brew pubs in 14 days. :beer3: :beer2:
All this with no windshield, there were a couple of 500+ mile days. :doorag:

·
Registered
272 Posts
about 900 miles. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, then Quebec. I'm biased to the scenery in Nova Scotia, particularly the Cabot Trail but the ride through Maine and New Hampshire was spectacular! They also know how to look after there roads!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Some very cool rides posted so far. Mine is much less dramatic. This being my first bike and all.
The best for me was the trip to the Hendersonville BBQ. First overnight on a bike. First "gathering" on a bike. First free meal on a bike, plus I met some great folks and rode up with Jazzman.
Some of the ride sucked (cold & wet) but it was memorable.

No offense to anyone I met and or rode with on that ride but I will be kicking it's @$$ with many upcoming rides.

Sledzep

·
Registered
414 Posts
I think my most memorable was one of the first rides I got to take with my son...one of his first rides too. We went up Ortega Hwy to the lookout point and then on down the back side into Lake Forest...He is a natural born rider...he made proud once again...he does that a lot...I'm a lucky guy.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Big Joe said:
Even though I lost my $300.00 riding glasses :dontknow: that was a GREAT Day of riding!!!

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
And it looked like your rain pants fought with a mountain lion if i remember correctly...

Sledzep

·
Registered
81 Posts
Back in '99, a buddy and I rode our KLR650's from the Portland area, up the gorge to tri-cities, went north to Metaline Falls, and found a dirt road from there to Sandpoint Idaho (about 60 miles of quiet). Rode from Sandpoint down to Elk City, rode the Magruder Corridor (about 100 miles of fire road :bigthumbsup:), found a cool little town in Montana on the other end of the corridor named Darby. After a couple days of drunk, we wandered over to Glacier National park, took in the sites and decided that Yosemite needed to be seen. After Yosemite we had to compare it to Sequoia (sp?) National Park. Easily the best 10 days I've spent on a bike, truthfully I can't remember how many miles we did, but on a 650 single it was a hell of a ride.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts