M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted a photo of my 9 next to my 72 Honda Scrambler. A lot of you posted stories and photos of your first bikes. I enjoyed reading through the string and thought it would be nice to start a thread so everyone could enjoy the time machine.

Here is my photo that started it off - What's your most memorable bike?

And below - with the mud cleaned off....

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of my first bike. It was a Suzuki 50cc Sand Bike. It had fat tires for riding in the sand and I rode the crap out of it when I was a teen. I would go out on the farm into one of the back pastures with tall grass and build my own race track in the grass.

I bet I got tossed off that thing a 1000 times but it was a blast to ride.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
My very first was a 74 Honda Z50 which looked just like this one

·
Registered
388 Posts
My first bike was a 1975 Honda XL-70 i wish i still had it it was a nice bike untill i tried to make it into a motorcross bike ... my mom was going to show me how to ride it she gets on it pops it in first gear and rev,ss it way up lets out on the clutch and the bike and her flip straight up in the air she was laying on her back and i said mom i think i got it gotta lov thoses times

·
Registered
56 Posts
My first bike was a 1976 Suzuki GT500 two stroke twin. Actually considered to be a fairly big bike back then. Very simple and reliable as long as you did not forget to keep the oil tank filled. This is, sadly, the only picture of the bike I have. My mother took this photo as I was waiting for the new owner to come and take it away after it's sale. I got $500.00 for the bike and it financed my move to Houston. I will always remember it fondly.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
My first bike, other than some mini bikes, was a Suzuki B120. I think it was around a 1968 model, but may have been a year or two older. It was a two stroke single that you had to add oil to a tank on the side, then it mixed it with the fuel.

A picture I found on the internet of one. Mine was black and I don't remember it having a luggage rack.

It's hard to pick out the most memorable older bike I had, because there was so many. I had a Kawasaki 750 triple two stroke, a Suzuki GT750 triple, several Hondas, several Nortons, BSAs and Triumphs, etc. I guess from the lot the Norton 850 Commando was probably the one I remember best, because it almost killed me twice. Once the primary chain broke and locked the engine up at 70 mph. Another time one of the windshield brackets came loose on one side and the windshield proceeded to try and beat both arms off the grips.
Another web photo, but mine was identical other than it had stock air filters on it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My first was a '95 Honda CBR600F2 back when I was in the Navy stationed in Pearl Harbor. This was admittedly not a beginners bike but I tried to tame it anyhow!! :doorag: It sure was fun to ride though.....VERY FAST!!! Bike was not that comfortable but Oahu is a small enough Island that there was nowhere you could go that was more than 2 hours away (no such thing as a long haul in Hawaii)

Unfortunately during my 2nd year of riding a shipyard worker ran a stop sign and T-boned me at an intersection and put me in the hospital for 6 months.
Didn't ride again for 10 years.

In 2006 my dad and brother each bought Honda Shadow 750's and I decided I better get one too so I didn't miss out on the fun. The motorcycle bug got into me 100% again but my crotch rocket background left the Shadow feeling very anemic to me....just no excitement at the throttle.

After some research and a test ride I realized that the 109 was the bike I needed. It pulls almost as hard as my ol' rocket did but is all day comfortable for the 200-300 mile rides I like to do around here in southern Minnesota!! :D

It's been a passionate love affair ever since....I take good care of her and in return she squeezes my adrenaline gland every time I twist that throttle back coming out of a turn!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
My first bike...and most memorable before the 109 was a 1970 model Honda trail 70. I was the first kid on the block to have a bike that had a transmission. My Dad made me save my money and I got it brand new for 350 bucks. Before long, they were all over the neighborhood. To stay ahead of the game, I had to get an SL 100 :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
My first was a Kawi 400 in 1976 but my favorite before the 9 was a 1982 Yamaha XJ650LJ. Yup, turbo charges rocket ship. Had lots of fun on it and a few not so fun times. Wish I still had it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My first "running" bike is my m109. But my first bike i got was a 1947 Cushman step thru with side car that was once used in a steel factory but was left to rot in a barn in La Porte, IN. Me and my dad pulled it from its grave and started fixing it up but life being the way it is never let us finish maybe after college or if somebody has a stack of fifty's ill get it going in one way or another. The pick is what it looks like but isn't the actual one i have puilled this one off of google.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
the 1977 Honda XL75. My dad traded a BSA 400 and for this and some cash to a kid down the street so I could learn how to ride. I remember not knowing how to pick it up when I dropped it, and having to walk back to the house to get my dad. I think I was like 8 years old. Later, I got a 1978 Yamaha 600 or 650, the my 1994 Yamaha Virago 1100, and I traded that in for the 9.

-Josh

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
My very first was a 74 Honda Z50 which looked just like this one
I had exactly the same thing, but I think mine might have been even older since my dad got it for me used when I was 4...and that was in 1974...
My most memorable, 1975 Honda 750...That thing was my baby & tuned perfectly. Super simple to work on and fun to ride! Then, some old bat in a caddy ran a stop sign & tried to kill me....the bike died & so did her caddy...but I'm still here & still riding!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
This thread is great.:D My 14yr old son got his motorcycle learners permit today.:congrats: His frist bike (Street legal) is a 250 Rebel. I got my licences when I was 13 1/2 yrs old.:doorag: I hauled hay since I was 12. So dad let me buy a CL 70 Honda from one of my class mates the next year. Wow what a time that was. It's really to bad that my son just can't go like I could back then:'(. Just to much traffic:cus: and to many drunks:beer3: on the rode around here not to keep tabs on him all of the time.

·
Registered
668 Posts
1st bike I had was a 1989 Ninja 600r. Black and red. Great bike. then came a 93' (I think) Yamaha Virago 750, then a 84 Honda Nighthawk 700s. I rebuilt that one, and then the 9. The rest, as they say, is history.

·
Registered
16,260 Posts

Just like this one!! I was like a 1972 or so. I think I was 11y/o.

This was my second, my dads 71 CB350. I rode the piss outa that thing!!! I was 16 and my only means of transportation that summer. It was great

1 - 20 of 92 Posts