M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got some cobra slashdowns on order, and they will be on my dorrstop in 5 days. Only problem is what to do with the o2 sensors fitted to OZ and Euro bikes. I have heard some techs over here say for other models they simply unplug the sniffers and do the FI light mod,
 and other say they MUST be mounted in exactly the same place as the stockers to allow the bikes FI to run right, or it will be a real pig.
Ehh? :confused: bike techs must be poiticians - a new answer to the same question for every person who asks....
I'm leaning towards getting my brand new pipes and taking them to a fabrication shop and drilling and fitting tapped fitments for the sensors, but what a pain in the azz it will be and I might have to trim my heatshields.
Maybe the easist way is to disable the sniffers by the fi mod, ( if it actually works for o2 sniffers) but at what cost to the bike?
Anyone got informed and accurate info on what to do pls ? Or I guess in 5 or so days, I'm gunna be a guinea pig.
If it buggers up, at least I have a doz bottles of beauttttiful red wine to numb the pain hidden in the backroom away from the wifey...... 8)

Hotwasabi
I'd rather a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oops,
forgot to mention, i found these "sensor eliminators" for sale.
http://www.xtremerevolution.com/Store/showproduct.aspx?siteid=8&productid=3685
Not for the 109, but I'm not savvy enough to know why they are not generic. I thought that a sensor eliminator would loop a signal to the ecu to tell it all is ok, but maybe that signal is specific to the bikes ( 109 or vtx) ecu and not a simple "ok" signal.
Wonder if one will work on the 109 anyway??
Its a long way to OZ to ship one to try, thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would just go ahead and drill the cobras and put the O2 sensor back in as close to the same as I could were I you. Seems like an easy enough thing to do to ensure the bikes emissions stay the same.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
ppridgen1 said:
I'll bet you someone makes a sensor eliminator for the zuki ,keep looking
+1 ..................... I would have to say the O2s are just there for emissions .......................... BTW since I've never seen a Euro-spec 109 up close, which side of the cat/set are the O2s mounted? If the are after the cat then I know they are just to make sure the cat is doing its job and can be replaced with O2 sims :bigthumbsup:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bonehead,
the sniffers are b4 the cat, and as such must be there to monitor the fuel mix ratio and keep it lean, so no luck on thast point. Front pot sensor is located approx 200mm ( 8") from the head, the rear sensor is located between the pots, making it unequal in terms of distance from combustion when compared to the first sensor. This doesnt make sense, as car sniffers ( v8 for example) are seeminly located eqidistance from the heads to allow both sensors to measure the same gases at roughly the same point in the evacuation cycle. I can only assume the bikes electronics are coded to allow for the variance in sensor position.
The red wine is calling to me..... :confused:

·
Registered
191 Posts
hi there,

i have a M1800R with the O2 sensors, and also the cobra dragsters.

my suzuki tech said to remove them and do the FI light trick, but be sure to place a power commander and you will be fine.

drove about 1500km like this now and all ok, the only thing i would do next is putting on some lamont style bigairs (on order, bring em on guys)

and this mod where you block off the extra air outlet with the plate to prevent popping. the pc 3 took away 75% of the poppin, but not all.

greetz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info glenn-iocb

bet you wake up the neighbourhood with those drags on !! :D
cant wait for my cobs to arrive, for sure.

if you have done 1500k with no prob all should be ok.
ta

1 - 7 of 7 Posts