M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New to the sight and I'm planning on buying an m109r in the spring. I was going to buy new, but want to customize it. Is it worth it to buy the new one or which year would be the best o buy if it's going to be a project? seeing as where I can get uesd for a couple thousand less.:-\

·
Registered
159 Posts
Welcome to the group. It is up to you which way you want to go with it. If you buy a new one, you know the history behind the bike. If you buy a used one, yes you can save a few dollars. But you aren't sure what that bike has been through. If you buy a new one, doing the custom stuff is all up to you. you can find some used ones that have been customed up already.....if you like what has been done to it. Good luck and happy hunting.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
:welcome: to the site!! Good luck on the bike!! I think I found a good deal on my used 9. Take your time and shop around. Good deals can even be found here on the site.

·
Registered
102 Posts
:welcome: I bout used so I would know everything about it. Used will save you $$ if thats what your looking for. Good luck on the hunt

·
Registered
595 Posts
Keep in mind that when buying 'new' there is a $750 import tax on top of the list price. That alone would pay for a top of the line exhaust system! :confused:

This tax does not appy to used bikes.

The bikes have not changed significantly since they were introduced in 2006. It doesn't matter what model year you buy as they are all essentially the same.
The only differences by year are paint color (for the LE models), and some switching back and forth between plastic and metal for various small cosmetic engine cover pieces.

Starting in 2010 they will be relocating the tach housing down into the headlight nacel but to my knowledge there will be no 2010 models delivered to the US market.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
It's just like any other vehicle. You can get a near perfect used bike for thousands less. I'd look for an '08 or '09 mostly stock and use the saved $ to modify.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would go for a barely used one. Actually I did, this past winter I bought my 08 orange with 436 miles on it for $8600. :)
Just keep your eyes open over the winter and you'll find some crazy deals man. I got mine off of Ebay actually and get one in the middle of the winter,because around February the prices start to creep up.
Good luck man and welcome to the forum! :beer3:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I bought a used one from a guy on this site back in early March. I have not a had a single problem with it because the guy took care of it. With the saved money I bought Raw Design FOrward controls. If I was in your shoes, which I have been already, I would buy from someone on this site. They usually take care of the bike and will give you the history behind it.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Hi. New to the sight and I'm planning on buying an m109r in the spring. I was going to buy new, but want to customize it. Is it worth it to buy the new one or which year would be the best o buy if it's going to be a project? seeing as where I can get uesd for a couple thousand less.:-\
I see you got there.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
5 years of a lot of talk and wishing. Even ended up buying the color I wanted at first.
Her you know what they say pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mainly depends on if you have cash or are planning to finance. Banks don't want to finance used bikes unlike cars so you pretty much have to buy new when doing that.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome to the group. It is up to you which way you want to go with it. If you buy a new one, you know the history behind the bike. If you buy a used one, yes you can save a few dollars. But you aren't sure what that bike has been through. If you buy a new one, doing the custom stuff is all up to you. you can find some used ones that have been customed up already.....if you like what has been done to it. Good luck and happy hunting.
:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts