M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I recently got my '08 Nine and you have no idea how much help this forum has been in reducing some of my concerns, and igniting a real passion with making some changes to these awesome bikes we have.

A question I have is I often have my young boy (10 years) riding pillion and he loves the bike, but I want to do my best to keep him safe. I just dont feel right with him sitting there without a backrest for safety and while I would love one of the genuine zuki ones, the Cobra look to be a good and far cheaper option.

Just wondering how many out there have the Cobra and if you are happy with the choice you made.

Thanks all for the help so far.

:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Search 100.00 backrest mod. This is the best way to go. The backrest is built into the back seat. You will need to but Harley part# 51144-02 and pad part# 51099-02. Or just look on E-bay and sometimes they are there.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have a wife and two boys and I disagree entirely. For them to feel safe and BE safe you really need a sizable backrest. I have never used the Cobra but I have seen them. The Zuki backrest is far superior in construction and looks but the Cobra looks functional. Ideally, I would like a quick release backrest but I am stuck with what I have.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have done the 100$ backrest mod and my wife isn't a fan.
She'd like a taller bigger pad to keep from feeling like she is about
to fly off.
But for some the 100$ mod is working great. Look at pic's an
you decide what works for you guys.

Jeff / Foo

·
Registered
488 Posts
The backrest that I got cost me 119$ to include shipping. It is tall and comes with a luggage rack. At first I wa sceptical of buying a rest off ebay, but when I took the plunge and went ahead with it. VERY SATISFIED. The cost is well worth it. And make sure that you put the brackets OUTSIDE of the backrest, that way they will not touch your fender.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
I would go with the cobra. I had the cobra on my yellow "9". It is very well made and super stout. I have the cobra with the short rest with the mini pad. They make a mini rest with a mini pad too. I really liked the look of the Short rest and Mini pad. Here is a picture on how well it held up in a rear end accident (not really an accident because the B!tch was drunk and hit me and my old lady from behind. Then she took off because she had no insurance). The back rest took a huge hit and I feel it saved Megan"s life. If you look all the damage tends to stop right at the back rest.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Jardine has a quick release that I use for weekend rides with the wife .
Transition takes 5 minutes

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have done the 100$ backrest mod and my wife isn't a fan.
She'd like a taller bigger pad to keep from feeling like she is about
to fly off.
But for some the 100$ mod is working great. Look at pic's an
you decide what works for you guys.

Jeff / Foo
I have 2 pads 1 tall and the other is the tour pad. The wife loves the tour pad but our travel bacpack won't slide over it so I swap back and fourth. The tour pad is alot taller and wider.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys - this is really helpful.

Its damn hard seeing the backrest on ebay and having no idea what it will look like on the bike or how strong and functional it may be. Like I said my first choice would be the gen zuki but they are so expensive once the mounting hardware is included. Ideally a used one would be great but aint to much chance of that happening.

Thanks to everyone posting and really appreciate the pics.

·
Registered
183 Posts
If you get the OEM one watch the chrome!! Mine has almost none left and the chrome warranty is only 90 days! At least that's What the stealership told me!

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I also have a 10 yr old and a wife and didn't feel safe with them on back without a backrest I have a corbin worth the money very comfortable plenty of back rest to make them able to sit back and relax best part for me is the backrest is connected to seat so easily removed and nothing attached to the side of bike I don't like that kind of backrest JMO

·
Registered
83 Posts
i also went with the corbin seat with backrest. really didnt want something i couldnt take off quickly, best investment i made. have had it over a year with no complaints.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agree with the Corbin. No ugly brackets and comes off with the seat. I have tried both and disliked the OEM one for that reason. Just my opinion but I think the Corbin one suits the style of the bike and looks great.

Cheers all

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
We love the $100 mod. I had baldy add a gel pak and mem foam and I added the HD rack and HD bag (The HD logo has been removed:bigthumbsup:) I can get my laptop and a change of clothes in there no prob. I do not like the look of either the zuki or cobra backrest, but to each his own. Good luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I will go with giganator on this one. I too bought the 100 dollar backrest from ebay. Had a little chrome bolt issue but no problem really. I tried the 100 dollar backrest mod at first and wife said her back would get tired as she felt like she had to hold herself up all the time. Tall is the better way to go. Brand that is up to you.

fish

1 - 20 of 22 Posts