M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this question on the M90 forum.

What bike did you test before you ended up with the 9? What made you decide on the 9? Or if you are in the market now what bikes are you looking at now? I have a buddy who is dead sold on the Honda Fury but, from what I've heard Honda is using the VTX 1300 engine in that bike and there seems to be a TON of plastic parts on that bike. Needless to say he's really confused right now.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well

To be honest i was never into the cruiser bikes,iv had loads of sports bikes etc,then got into touring on big Adventure bikes,did spain,France,then bought a GTR1400 you guys have it badged as a concours,great bike but oh so bland,the 109 had gone under my Radar to be honest but when we got back from france and my buddies kawa VN1700 had performed so well and had crowds around it everyday and it was ubber comfortable i decided to as you guys say pull the trigger on a 109 and it was the best choice for sure,great power for a cruiser handles good and looks the muts nuts,i will have another touring steed but the 9 will stay i just lurvvvvvvvvvve this bike.........

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Had a VTX 1300 and wanted more power. Was looking for a VTX 1800 when I stumbled upon a used 9 at a Honda stealer. Test drove it and the rest is history. I went to a Zuk stealer and bought a new 09.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wanta

a 9 waaay back but I hate a loan payment so I ended up with the 05 Suzi M95 with 464 on the clock, AKA Mean Streak. The first owner hated the handlebars so parked it in a car trailer for 5 years and then sold it to me in July for little to nothing.
I modded that as far as I could go, love the handling of the bike it's like riding a bicycle.
Just now got a screaming deal on a 09 C109 with only 400 on the clock. Needs a little fixin cause it got laid over by the first owner and then after that they didn't want the bike any longer. WINTER project:drool:
Wife as a C50 and she loves it so I guess for now we are keeping all 3 bikes.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I considered the Yamaha Raider....price swung me over to the 109.

After getting a taste of the 9's power and handling, I traded my VTX 1800, which I never rode thanks to the 9, for a GSXR 600.

Now between the 109 and the GSXR, I honestly don't have an itch that I can't scratch. :D

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
None. We were in the shop buying a M50 for my wife. She told me I should buy that silver bike over there. So I went over and looked at it, and decided to sell both of my old classic bikes so I could almost pay cash for the thing. Two months later it happened, both classics sold for enough to nearly pay cash for the bike, which I got new at $10,499.00.

Funny thing, when the first pictures of the M109R were available, in black, I hated the look. But when I saw it in silver, I bought one.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Considered the Victory Hammer S but never got to test ride one.

Thought about the new 2010 Victory Cross Country Extreme Skulls Edition (believe it or not).

Test rode the M90 and thought it was "nice" but not enough power.

Test rode the M109R and was smiling after my first run through the gears and bought one the following week. :doorag:

·
Registered
319 Posts
Considered the Victory Hammer S but never got to test ride one.

Thought about the new 2010 Victory Cross Country Extreme Skulls Edition (believe it or not).

Test rode the M90 and thought it was "nice" but not enough power.

Test rode the M109R and was smiling after my first run through the gears and bought one the following week. :doorag:
i'm thinking of adding that victory to the stable myself

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
After 15 years without a bike, (marriage/Dad of two), got the fever and wanted back in. First looked at a M50, but way too small. Always owned Hondas ... so started looking at a vtx1300, then vtx1800. Liked the 1800f, but ran upon a M109R. Loved everything but the headlight. After a year, I finally convinced my wife that I would behave and sat on a 109 and the rest is history.

Did like some of the Victorys, but in 2006 there were some production issues on a few models that I considered.

Kinda like the new Truimpth Thunderbird. :bigthumbsup:
Always like the Rune and may buy one, one day.:dontknow:
Not sure of what bike this family is riding ... but it's a tough one.:D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
After 20 years without a bike (wife, kids, divorce, attorney, second wife, dog, cat, etc, etc) I read one of the original write-ups for the 2006 M109R and never considered another bike. In fact my new wife secretly bought my bike in November 06 for my Christmas present. I never rode the "9" until Christmas morning!

I guess I''l keep this one (bike and wife).

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
About 8 years ago I saw a picture of a concept bike that looked very much like the 109 is today and I fell in love with it.
When I was looking for a bike 4 years ago I didnt care what it was,I just wanted to see a bike that bugged me after I left the show room.
I tried a Harley because a friend insisted I will be sold once I ride one.
He was right but not in the way he hoped. The 109 was even more of a done deal after that...
I paid cash,had it broken in on a dyno(114hp,102 tq. back wheel),and rode away smiling.
I knew nothing of this forum and thought I bought a bike nobody else had
only to discover I just bought the greatest cruiser ever made.
I will be the last owner of my 109!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Some would say I'm foolish as I bought a brand new 9 without ever even seeing one, never mind test driving or sitting on one.
After over 20 years I knew I had to get back into a bike again. Started by searching all the manufacturers' websites. When the 9 appeared on the screen I knew this was the bike I wanted. Did a bit of research (this site was invaluable) and the decision was made. Drove 300 miles to the big city dealer who gave me the best deal and brought her home in the back of my buddies' pickup.
Foolish? . . maybe, happy? . . oh yeah!

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,147 Posts
I looked at Victory's, a couple different Buell's, a VTX 1800 when they made them here, and even glanced at a few HD's. But the 109 was the one that caught my eye to begin with and the one I ended up getting. As far as looking at another, I never look until I'm ready to buy and I'm not planning on doing that any time soon.

·
Radio Active Member
27,699 Posts
I looked at a

V-Rod
VTX1800F
Victory Hammer
Warrior
Rocket
and there was one other but I can not remember the name of it right now.

I was ready to buy a Hammer but decided to wait until I saw a 9 in person at the motorcycle show. Once I saw it, I was sold. For the money, nothings touches the 9!

·
Registered
29 Posts
First bike to ride (above 25 mph and not in a parking lot) and first bike purchased! Was looking into getting a bike for 12+ months but couldn't ever find one that looked and screamed muscle/power and wasn't Harley, Harley, Harley. Then one day, saw a 109 sitting in the parking lot and it was love at first sight.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Saw one at the dealeship. Had to have one. I test drove it when I was on the way home with her:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wanted a Hammer S but did not want the payment watched the 9 for a few years and got one in 09 for a good price liked from day one but followed dads advice never by a car (in this case bike) the first year its out. My bike has low miles but runs great!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Always wanted a VTX1800 since they came out. Did test drive one about 7 years ago but couldnt afford it as I was just outta high school. Rode sport bikes for about 6 years. When the 9 came out I didnt originally like the look of it, something about the headlight and big rear fender bugged me until I started seeing them on the road every once in a while and I realized how sick they look going down the road. Sold my last bike and wanted a used cruiser and was originally looking at both the 9 and the VTX1800, and as I did I realized the VTX1800 would be settling cause the 9 looked so much more badass. Now I think its the meanest looking bike on the road, even compared to custom choppers. This bike is just the shizniz!!! :doorag:

I now love the headlight and fender, although a 280 or 300 looks more appropriate under it....someday.

·
Registered
643 Posts
This spring the only bike i even gave thought too really was used Rocket III Tourer at a dealer near me. It was just a tad higher then my price range though, so i buckled down and started looking for a 2008 C/RT left over preferably or slightly used acceptable. Found one on fleabay , i liked and could afford on the other side of PA and clicked buy it now.

It was originally the M that caught my eye when it was first released and i would love to own one as a second bike ,but, day in and day out I know I would be happier on a C

1 - 20 of 22 Posts