M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this will be my first oil change so i want to use the best oil 10w40 or 20w50 thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I changed from 10-40 to 20-50 mobil 1 a couple weeks ago since the weather is warming up. I also add Lucas synthetic oil treatment and 2nd gear feels smoother during the shift.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I believe 10W40 is the specification for this bike, many people using 20W50. If I lived in an area with an excessively hot climate I would probably go with 20W50.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I believe 10W40 is the specification for this bike, many people using 20W50. If I lived in an area with an excessively hot climate I would probably go with 20W50.
It says 10W40 or 20W50... Just a fyi.

I used the search button, and I found a bunch of threads reguarding this. Here's one: WHAT WEIGHT OIL ARE YOU USING

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I have been using 10w40 since day one. I did not change over to synthetic until the 3rd oil change.

1st oil change was done at 150 miles. I wanted to get the break in oil out ASAP.
2nd was at 3000 miles.
3rd at 4500 then I switched to Mobil 1 4t

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also.

Hope that you make it to the big meet in June. That and another great link are in my signature.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have been using 10w40 since day one. I did not change over to synthetic until the 3rd oil change.

1st oil change was done at 150 miles.
2nd was at 3000 miles.
3rd at 4500 then I switched to Mobil 1 4t

:congrats: and :welcome: to the forum also.

Hope that you make it to the big meet in June. That and another great link are in my signature.
Ryno,

How often do you plan to change oil now that your using synthetic?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ok,

About what you would expect to do with a car running synthetic. That's what I do on my car. It uses 0-20 synthetic as part of the 100k warranty with changes every 5k.

Did you notice by chance if the bike runs cooler or not compared to the suzuki oil?

On recommendation of a local motorcycle race shop/mechanic with 30 years experience and trophy's to brag about he suggested I use Castrol GTX and change it every 2000 - 2500 miles.

I changed it at 400 miles with Castrol. Then had the 600 mile check up at 900 at the shop where I bought the bike where they went back to Suzuki oil.

I notice the bike ran cooler on GTX. The cylinder fins are warm enough you cant hold your hand on the but a sec or two before it starts to feel too hot on suzuki oil. When I was on Castrol no problem.

I'm going back to Castrol for now. Thats the reason for my interest in an oil temp gauge.

Maybe synthetic at 1500 or so. Once again using the temp gauge to help me decide which oil to use.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Ok,

About what you would expect to do with a car running synthetic. That's what I do on my car. It uses 0-20 synthetic as part of the 100k warranty with changes every 5k.

Did you notice by chance if the bike runs cooler or not compared to the suzuki oil?

On recommendation of a local motorcycle race shop/mechanic with 30 years experience and trophy's to brag about he suggested I use Castrol GTX and change it every 2000 - 2500 miles.

I changed it at 400 miles with Castrol. Then had the 600 mile check up at 900 at the shop where I bought the bike where they went back to Suzuki oil.

I notice the bike ran cooler on GTX. The cylinder fins are warm enough you cant hold your hand on the but a sec or two before it starts to feel too hot on suzuki oil. When I was on Castrol no problem.

I'm going back to Castrol for now. Thats the reason for my interest in an oil temp gauge.

Maybe synthetic at 1500 or so. Once again using the temp gauge to help me decide which oil to use.
I can tell you that Mobil 1 runs 10 degrees cooler then Amsoil.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah Rino,

Amsoil was one of the synthetics I wanted to look into. Its gotten kudos form the dealers service dept as a good oil too, and here on this forum kudos for mobil 1.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Yeah Rino,

Amsoil was one of the synthetics I wanted to look into. Its gotten kudos form the dealers service dept as a good oil too, and here on this forum kudos for mobil 1.
I think more guys run Amsoil but I can get Mobil 1 off the shelf here from several places with out having $100 plus dollars sitting on the shelf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts