M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a blast at the OC bike week, the bike ran like a beast not a problem at all bought it back out today decided to change the oil and make sure all of the nuts and bolts are all still there. Cranked the bike up and started on first start and let it run for about 8 or 9 minutes and while it was running it suddently just shut down. I thought it was a little unusual but continued on with the oil change and just thought it would restart is always does. Not this time. The bike wont start, it sounds like it wants to but it just sounds like it not getting any spark or no gas. IT's not getting something any ideas from the forum, where should I start. :eek::-\

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
First thing take off the ground cable for about 5 minutes to reset the computer and retry.this is the first thing to do before going deeper.Works most of the time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
STILL WILL NOT RUN

Ok I disconnected the battery and left if off for about an hour and re-connected the battery it still turns over but it will not start. What's next. I only started as usual and it ran for about 10 minutes on the side stand the it just cut off on its own. Afterwards it wouldn't start. It will turnover but it won't run. Any suggestions on the next option. spray starter fluid into the intake? I will check all of the wired tomorrow. I can believe it. What else could it beeeeeeeeeeeee.:-\

·
Radio Active Member
27,696 Posts
It might be the coils,cam/crank sensor or even a vapor lock. :dontknow: It sounds like when it heat up a little it craps out. As far as the vapor lock take the cap off and see if that does it. You just need to trace it out. Using a hair drier or a heat gun might help the process.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I think you are correct that you are either not getting gas or not getting spark.

When you crank it, can you smell gas from the exhaust?
-this would be a good sign you are getting gas but no spark
(note: not smelling gas does not eliminate this as a potential problem, but if you smell gas, that points to spark)

Next, test for spark.
-easiest way to do this is remove a plug, connect it back to the wire, ground the plug threads to the motor and crank it. you should be able to see a spark from the plug.
-if you can not see a spark, take a wire brush to the business end of the plug and see if that changes anything

While you have the plug out and are cranking it, sniff the hole for gas.

That should get you started on your tests.

Let us know how that goes and we can go from there.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
STILL NO RUN

Well, I checked all of the fuses and none of them were blown. I removed one of the intakes and sprayed just a little start fluid in it and the engine ran for a second. What does this point to? The fuel pump. I don't smell gas from the exhaust when I try to crank it. The pump does sound a little different when I initially try to start. What does anyone think. :dontknow: Still will not run. :redfaced:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
How many miles on the bike?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wont run

It happend so suddenly just bought it out to change the oil let it run on the side stand for about 4 or 5 minutes and while it was running in just shut off.

The bike has 18K on it. :dontknow:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Def sounds like a fuel related issue. The pump should be easy enough to test. Do you have a manual? Lift the tank so you can get to the harness, see if there is power and ground to the pump, if so and it won't fire, you have a bad pump. You should be able to hear it run.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I assume tank has gas in it. Haven't some on here had a wire under the tank come out of the plug? From pulling it tight when taking the tank off?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wont start 1990

I will pull the tank again today to take a look but the one connector that I can see is still connected its a brown connector the first one you see when you lift the tank just slightly up. I will this morning pull the entire tank up and see what's going on. I do have a manual but of course its at work on a shared drive. I will look here at home. :dontknow:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I will pull the tank again today to take a look but the one connector that I can see is still connected its a brown connector the first one you see when you lift the tank just slightly up. I will this morning pull the entire tank up and see what's going on. I do have a manual but of course its at work on a shared drive. I will look here at home. :dontknow:
PM sent

Is the FI light on and have you checked it for any codes?
http://www.m109riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86786&highlight=special+tool

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
STILL NO RUN

The F1 light came on over a year ago and I disable it as prescribed by Suzuki. I do hear the pump as usual, it just doesn't sound the same as it did. Still will not start.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
STILL WILL NOT RUN

I recently installed a GIPRO would that have any bearing on the cycle starting or not.:dontknow:

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
The F1 light came on over a year ago and I disable it as prescribed by Suzuki. I do hear the pump as usual, it just doesn't sound the same as it did. Still will not start.
I would still check it for codes. I think the next step would be to check for proper fuel pressure. Although you can hear the pump, if there's not enough pressure, the bike won't start.

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
I recently installed a GIPRO would that have any bearing on the cycle starting or not.:dontknow:
I wouldn't think so. How recent, you could always take it out of the loop to be sure though.

Here is the steps for checking the pump
Connect a proper lead wire into the fuel pump lead wire coupler
(fuel pump side) and apply 12 volts to the fuel pump
(between Y/R wire and B/W wire) for 10 seconds and measure
the amount of fuel discharged.
Battery
+ terminal (Yellow with red tracer)
Battery
- terminal (Black with white tracer)
If the pump does not discharge the amount specified, it means
that the fuel pump is defective or that the fuel filter is clogged.
% Fuel discharge amount:
168 ml (5.7/5.9 US/Imp oz) and more/10 sec.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OFF TO THE SHOP

I need to get my ride fixed just can't figure it out. I guess I will be off to the shop. I hate to take anything to them. It generally comes out worse than it went in. This was has my thumb in my mouth. LOL I'm still going to pull the tank one las time to make a good inspection of wires under the tank to see if anything looooooooks loose. :dontknow::redfaced:???

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.