M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i understand that its part of your intake, but is the actual air coming in from the front of the bike that small? Also, does these conical filters get in your way when you ride? It looks huge....

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
07black109 said:
Ok, i understand that its part of your intake, but is the actual air coming in from the front of the bike that small? Also, does these conical filters get in your way when you ride? It looks huge....
The intake on a stock filter is pretty small and it comes from inside the motor where all the hot air is. Just having cooler air is going to help and having more air helps even better. :bigthumbsup:

I did a little a trip that was a little over 4000 miles with the prototype BigAir and there were no issues with leg room, rain, heat or anything else. It worked flawlessly and I could walk away from a stock 109 pulling a trailer. That's the big deal about the BigAir. ;)

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3434.0

·
Registered
277 Posts
Way to represent Lamonster!!!!!  :doorag:

·
Registered
665 Posts
Apprently some can't see the "BIG" picture,on engine performance!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I was surprised that Suzuki decided to use the air filter design that they did. Square paper and mesh pulling air direct from between the cylinders... Looks cool but not good for performance...

Enter the BIG Air... Just the fact that your replacing the paper/mesh filters with a K&N set that you will never have to replace (under normal usage) and the air flow is clean and cool is a good enough reason to get it.

Note: The BIG Air kit does NOT protrude out from the sides of the bike as much as the stock chrome covers.

I think Hal is working on cheaper version of the BIG Air. You would still benefit from either version.

G

·
gval said:
I need the big air chrome.Where do I send the cash?
Direct line at the top of this page will sale them too you, you can also ping Hal on monday he posts his cell number on his posts and he works with direct line

·
Registered
306 Posts
Is the M109 badging standard? My bike is unbadged and I prefer to keep it that way. :doorag:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
07black109 said:
Engine dynamics 101:

Consider that your engine is basically a huge air pump. Now imagine the stock engine as basically breathing through a straw. Now replace that straw with something much larger like a toilet paper roll. It's like your stock bike has asthma, and giving it a freer flowing airbox is like giving it a blast from an inhaler.

So now you are pumping a lot more air through the engine, right? This throws off your air:fuel ratio and the bike will be running lean, too much air in relation to the amount of fuel. This makes the engine run hot. If you increase the amount of fuel to bring your air:fuel ration back where it needs to be you will allow the engine to run cooler (I know it doesn't really make sense that burning more fuel will make the engine run cooler, but it does). Of course burning more fuel and moving more air has other effects on the engine. Getting more air and fuel into the combustion chamber = bigger explosions = lower gas mileage = more horsepower. To make the bike pump more fuel you need to send different signals to the fuel injectors telling them to spray more gas for longer periods of time. This is done with a Power Commander III or similar device. The next problem you come up with is having a free enough flowing exhaust to be able to proper expel all those extra exhaust gases you are now creating. If you open up the intake to bring in more air you gotta also open the exhaust to keep the air pump (engine) operating at maximum efficiency.

So in my opinion you should really do all 3 steps at once: free flowing airbox, free flowing exhaust and PCIII. The combination of these 3 things will give you quite a performance boost and your engine will be running much more efficiently. Sometimes doing these things will actually make your mileage INCREASE as your engine can perform the same amount of work much more efficiently but most people just ride harder so any mileage gains end up being negated. But that's the fun part!! :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Hope this helps. :super:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Lamonster said:
I did a little a trip that was a little over 4000 miles with the prototype BigAir and there were no issues with leg room, rain, heat or anything else. It worked flawlessly and I could walk away from a stock 109 pulling a trailer. That's the big deal about the BigAir. ;)

http://www.m109riders.com/forum/index.php?topic=3434.0
I think he forgot to mention the part about it also being uphill, trailer was about 300lbs I belive and his GPS was showing 122+...

Big Air=Big GO!!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
BlackCherry said:
Engine dynamics 101:

Consider that your engine is basically a huge air pump. Now imagine the stock engine as basically breathing through a straw. Now replace that straw with something much larger like a toilet paper roll. It's like your stock bike has asthma, and giving it a freer flowing airbox is like giving it a blast from an inhaler.

So now you are pumping a lot more air through the engine, right? This throws off your air:fuel ratio and the bike will be running lean, too much air in relation to the amount of fuel. This makes the engine run hot. If you increase the amount of fuel to bring your air:fuel ration back where it needs to be you will allow the engine to run cooler (I know it doesn't really make sense that burning more fuel will make the engine run cooler, but it does). Of course burning more fuel and moving more air has other effects on the engine. Getting more air and fuel into the combustion chamber = bigger explosions = lower gas mileage = more horsepower. To make the bike pump more fuel you need to send different signals to the fuel injectors telling them to spray more gas for longer periods of time. This is done with a Power Commander III or similar device. The next problem you come up with is having a free enough flowing exhaust to be able to proper expel all those extra exhaust gases you are now creating. If you open up the intake to bring in more air you gotta also open the exhaust to keep the air pump (engine) operating at maximum efficiency.

So in my opinion you should really do all 3 steps at once: free flowing airbox, free flowing exhaust and PCIII. The combination of these 3 things will give you quite a performance boost and your engine will be running much more efficiently. Sometimes doing these things will actually make your mileage INCREASE as your engine can perform the same amount of work much more efficiently but most people just ride harder so any mileage gains end up being negated. But that's the fun part!! :D :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

Hope this helps. :super:
I am very turned on by this....... actually tent-like

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I understand engines and how they work. I just didnt know that the intake was that small inside of the engine compartment sucking in the hot air from around it. Also, from what i have been taught, every degree cooler in temp that the air is, there is a .5 increase in hp. I will have to find the ad i found that in. I dont know if its that linear, but i do know it makes a big difference.

That one you have lamonster, looks good, the one im talkin about is the one with the big hose on it then the conical filter on it.

Also, with that big air, do you have to remap? Do these bikes use pc3 usbs? Or is it something else?

Great info guys! Keep it coming and thanks!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
07black109 said:
I understand engines and how they work. I just didnt know that the intake was that small inside of the engine compartment sucking in the hot air from around it. Also, from what i have been taught, every degree cooler in temp that the air is, there is a .5 increase in hp. I will have to find the ad i found that in. I dont know if its that linear, but i do know it makes a big difference.

That one you have lamonster, looks good, the one im talkin about is the one with the big hose on it then the conical filter on it.

Also, with that big air, do you have to remap? Do these bikes use pc3 usbs? Or is it something else?

Great info guys! Keep it coming and thanks!
Sorry if my explanation was a bit elementary for you, it was meant for anyone reading this thread that didn't understand this stuff, not just for you. It seems I even got one fella turned on with my explanation. :a20:

To answer your other questions, the intake you are referring to is J R's track pack intake, and Hal and Lamont don't sell it so they won't be as much help with it as J R and Perry (PPridgen) would be. As far as remapping goes, well first you have to get a PCIII to be able to do the remap, you can't remap the stock ECU. And yes I would highly recommend that you get a PCIII and map it if you do an airbox mod for the reasons I described earlier. Is it absolutely necessary? That's debatable. Not sure if your bike will run so lean as to cause it harm, but you will notice a big difference in power when you install the PCIII and map it properly. And yes, they use the PCIII USB's. The PCIIIR's and the PCIII Serial versions have all been replaced by the USB version.
http://www.powercommander.com/
You could also use something like a Techlusion TFI (same as a Cobra Fi 2000) but they only allows you to add fuel based on the position of 3 or 4 dip switches, you can't take away fuel if needed, and they aren't nearly as effective as a PCIII IMHO. Hope this helps. :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
516 Posts
you should really do all 3 steps at once: free flowing airbox, free flowing exhaust and PCIII. The combination of these 3 things will give you quite a performance boost and your engine will be running much more efficiently. Sometimes doing these things will actually make your mileage INCREASE as your engine can perform the same amount of work much more efficiently but most people just ride harder so any mileage gains end up being negated. But that's the fun part!! Grin

Hope this helps.

++++ 1 On this brother, and BTW I am tent-like as well :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
firecat said:
:a20: :a20: wow thats all it take :eek: hell I've been taking the wrong approach all this time!!!! :joke:
I am especially glad you like it ..... my little honey.

·
Registered
956 Posts
It just seems like a huge cost factor involve for just some more air. $500 for the big air and $300 for a power commander so it doesn't run to lean.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well i Just put on the Chrome Big Air and PClll :D and Love it, also the Chrome is $565 ,It does NOT stick out further than the Stock set up,My friend and I both think it made my bike Look mean :evil: and the Performance gains alone were worth it to me :bigthumbsup:

It is very well made!!! the filters are good for 50,000 miles

they are solid chrome NO Stickers,the one above is a add on as stated on the Direct Line site :bigthumbsup: hope this answers some questions and Helps :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts