M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing spark plugs on my friends Nine, I saw that a hose at the top front of the engine was split at the end and disconnected. I slipped it back where I believe it is supposed to be for the photo. Can anyone tell me what the hose and the device it is connected to are for?

The bright area that looks like the point of a pencil is light coming in from the other side of the bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
While changing spark plugs on my friends Nine, I saw that a hose at the top front of the engine was split at the end and disconnected. I slipped it back where I believe it is supposed to be for the photo. Can anyone tell me what the hose and the device it is connected to are for?

The bright area that looks like the point of a pencil is light coming in from the other side of the bike.
Is that a cap that you attempted to slide the hose over? It looks like someone did the PAIR block and didn’t remove the hose and now you have plugged a hose onto a vacuum cap. I might be wrong. Someone else should chime in soon

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that a cap that you attempted to slide the hose over? It looks like someone did the PAIR block and didn’t remove the hose and now you have plugged a hose onto a vacuum cap. I might be wrong. Someone else should chime in soon
That "cap" is the only place where the hose appears to fit. Since my friend bought the bike new in 2007 and didn't do a PAIR block, he has no idea what the hose or the cap or the device the cap is attached to are for.

We don't know if we can leave it like it is, or if he needs to buy a replacement hose.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,434 Posts
If your friend is like me, I've forgotten some things I did or how I did them on my 2007 that I bought new. I know I blocked the PAIR valve at some point after I installed the first exhaust on it, but I honestly don't remember exactly how I did it. I know I left the hoses on it at least for a while, so I guess I blocked the hose before the T with something.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know exactly what you mean. I have several motorcycles, the oldest is a 1998 Gold Wing that I bought in 2002. I can't remember most of what I've done to any of my bikes over the years. So I try to keep track of maintenance, accessories, receipts, and hand-drawn schematics for the wiring that I've done.

He said he had the exhaust and air filters changed at the dealership in 2007. I wonder if they would have partially blocked the PAIR valves?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
It is difficult to see in your photo but it does appear that is the pair solenoid that has been capped with a vacuum cap and someone tried to slide the hose back on it.
That hose should run down to a tee.
You can remove all the hose going to the tee and then to each reed valve assembly for the pair on top of each head.
Then cap each reed valve assembly with a 3/8 vacuum cap. (Put hose clamps on all 3 vacuum caps)
Just like in my video that SCJ posted.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,434 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. I have several motorcycles, the oldest is a 1998 Gold Wing that I bought in 2002. I can't remember most of what I've done to any of my bikes over the years. So I try to keep track of maintenance, accessories, receipts, and hand-drawn schematics for the wiring that I've done.

He said he had the exhaust and air filters changed at the dealership in 2007. I wonder if they would have partially blocked the PAIR valves?
I kind of doubt the dealer would have done it, as the only reason to do it is t help prevent backfiring when you let off the throttle. Maybe they tried it out and it popped some, so they disabled it. I'm pretty sure that isn't part of their normal exhaust installation process though, so they probably came over here and read about it. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can see the tubing still connected to the reed valve housing. So if the tee is not plugged, then they were still pulling (dirty, unfiltered) air in through the slit in the hose.
The tee is not plugged. It will be before the bike is put back together. The plugs were changed, the air filters cleaned and re oiled, and the PAIR system plugged. If the bike runs properly now, we won't know what was done to cure the problem.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
While reading about about blocking off the PAIR system, I came across this post started in 2007. Pair Valves
The second response by Zoom explains it well with an illustration. It might be that the dealer who installed my friend's aftermarket exhaust plugged the solenoid with a cap and left the rest of the system as it was.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
The tee is not plugged. It will be before the bike is put back together. The plugs were changed, the air filters cleaned and re oiled, and the PAIR system plugged. If the bike runs properly now, we won't know what was done to cure the problem.
If you put vacuum caps on the reed valve housings and solenoid valve, then you can just remove all the tubing and the tee from the bike.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,434 Posts
Metalman, any way you block it works fine. Block off plates, vacuum caps on the reed valves, blocking each hose separately, blocking the T, as long as air can't get to the PAIR valves it will work.

Also, don't forget to leave the solenoid connected. If it's disconnected it will set a code..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts