M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,
So I got a wild hare up my butt and i want to do some last minute mods to the good ole 9. I have a 2007 Red and I have seen someone on here a while back that did a mod that replaced the entire air box with a pair of K&N RA-0770. I got the appropriate materials at my disposal and I can do most of the work but I have no idea what some of the stuff attached to the air box is. I have included a picture of the underside of my tank. I am not that great at picture manipulation so I was not able to draw arrows to anything that I have a question about so if you can or if you have an idea what all that crap attached to the air box is please do tell.

OK I used to know how to attach photos, but it seems that it has changed. Halp!
What can i not disconnect? what can disconnect/move and not throw a F1 Light?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4526738298/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4526107147/in/photostream/

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Step one

Hey,
So I got a wild hare up my butt and i want to do some last minute mods to the good ole 9. I have a 2007 Red and I have seen someone on here a while back that did a mod that replaced the entire air box with a pair of K&N RA-0770. I got the appropriate materials at my disposal and I can do most of the work but I have no idea what some of the stuff attached to the air box is. I have included a picture of the underside of my tank. I am not that great at picture manipulation so I was not able to draw arrows to anything that I have a question about so if you can or if you have an idea what all that crap attached to the air box is please do tell.

OK I used to know how to attach photos, but it seems that it has changed. Halp!
What can i not disconnect? what can disconnect/move and not throw a F1 Light?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4526738298/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4526107147/in/photostream/

First thing, do you have a fuel controller? This bike won't even idle without an air box without one. It will be much too lean.
All that "stuff" attached to your airbox sends signals to your computer. You will get FI codes if you just disconnect it. You will need to attach it to a plate or something.
And if you don't trim and install the air filters just right, you secondary throttle valve motor could be locked and burn out.
Are you sure you want to do this?
If I remember correctly, the original member who did this did not even get a performance boost after all his trouble.
A Cobra FI2000R and an intake mods such a "Ducks" will give you a boost in power and smoothness you can feel and hear.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Some of that "stuff" is vital to the engine controls. There are MAP sensors (one sensor per cylinder to control fuel/air mixture and is still needed with an aftermarket controller), an IAC (idle speed controller), and crankcase vent system. Another words that "stuff" is necessary except for the big box which can be replaced by a modified system.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, had the old man over and he identified some of that stuff under there for me and it was definitely beyond my mechanical skills to move/replace any of it so the air box stays. I did a Pseudo Tony mod and painted the Aircovers black so I am happy with the way it looks right now. I will post pics in the near future, thanks for the input.

C

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,146 Posts
You need to leave all of them connected to the bike, but you can move them off the air box. The sensor on top with the 3 hoses is the idle speed control, and on the left front and rear corners are the barometric pressure sensors and intake air temp sensors. On the front of the box and underneath is the PAIR valve system.

The idle speed control and PAIR valve system (which can be blocked and stowed away) draw filtered air through them. You need to provide that air for at least the idle speed control. If you leave the PAIR hooked up, it won't hurt to draw unfiltered air other than it may dirty up faster.

The barometric pressure sensor and ambient air temp sensor can be installed anywhere near where they are, but must stay connected.

It would be easier to just leave it. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts