M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my first post last night, typed quite a bit out and waited for it to be approved and the mods deleted it?

So I'll make this short and sweet this time.

2007 Suzuki Boulevard M109r I purchased last year.
Has many things done to it, such as power commander, tune, exhaust kit.

This exhaust kit is much louder than stock, and I'm having a hard time identifying what kit it is.

1- What exhaust system is this?
2- Will it accept a different exhaust tip so the exhaust is pointing back towards the end of the motorcycle instead of side?
3- Will doing step 2 reduce the loud exhaust sound for the rider since it'll be pointed to the back instead of the side (right ear).

Pictures attached.

Looking to quiet it down a bit, although it sounds fantastic. Previously had a 2012 M109r with stock everything.

Please let me know!
I've been researching forever and found no answers and I'd like to be active in this community!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Keith - Wish I could help, but I'm rather ignorant on M109R items as I only just got mine.

I will say, based on the length of that pipe you got, you will not be able to redirect the noise to reduce it to a tolerable level. I say that assuming your ears are like mine - loud exhausts cause my right ear to pound almost immediately at this point. I'm going to be sticking with the stock exhaust for the first time in many years with my Nine. If I do get the inkling to get an aftermarket, I'll probably limit my search to the cobra swepts - they seem to be the quietest aftermarket available (now that the Cobra Tri-Pro is no longer available).

I also ride with ear plugs when I'm on one of the louder bikes. The silicone mold ones you buy off amazon have been the best for me. You squish silicone in your ear and it hardens to a perfect plug. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Keith - Wish I could help, but I'm rather ignorant on M109R items as I only just got mine.

I will say, based on the length of that pipe you got, you will not be able to redirect the noise to reduce it to a tolerable level. I say that assuming your ears are like mine - loud exhausts cause my right ear to pound almost immediately at this point. I'm going to be sticking with the stock exhaust for the first time in many years with my Nine. If I do get the inkling to get an aftermarket, I'll probably limit my search to the cobra swepts - they seem to be the quietest aftermarket available (now that the Cobra Tri-Pro is no longer available).

I also ride with ear plugs when I'm on one of the louder bikes. The silicone mold ones you buy off amazon have been the best for me. You squish silicone in your ear and it hardens to a perfect plug. Just a suggestion.
It's too bad this one from Cobra was discontinued. It's not loud. I got it in 2010, waited a long time for a 2-into-1 that wasn't loud. I don't wear ear plugs unless I'm going to be on it for the entire day. An hour here or there, not necessary. Cobra Tri Pro.

The one the OP posted, I've seen it on here before, but cannot recall the name off hand. Looks LOUD!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank
Tire Sky Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Reactions: Joe RC51

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
I've seen that exhaust on one other bike here recently. Unless it was in the post you made that you said was deleted, I can't find it anywhere. And in looking at every image I could find of exhausts for this bike, I can't find one that matches it. It kind of looks like a Hard Krome short Sideburner with a different tip.

·
Registered
2009 / VZR1800
4,003 Posts
I only found Raineys headers coming down and then side by side
before joining in to the one, Bassani headers do almost he same,
but are not joined later. This one eems to be custom, and using
aftermarket chromed oval side tip....

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
I found out what they are. Managed to get ahold of the original owner.

They are Mayhem Hacker Pipes exhaust system.
I'n glad you found that out and let us know. I looked again last night and still couldn't find anything with that tip. I see they make pipes for a lot of bikes, but they don't list Suzuki anymore. Wonder how old they are?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'n glad you found that out and let us know. I looked again last night and still couldn't find anything with that tip. I see they make pipes for a lot of bikes, but they don't list Suzuki anymore. Wonder how old they are?
From the research I've done so far they made them from roughly 2006-2011/12. Made and sold around 36 sets a year for the Boulevard.

They appear to not be making them for the Boulevard M109r anymore and focusing on Victory, Harley Davidson, Honda, and Indians.
From what I've also read it's possible they can still make a set if people are interested, but that could be old information.

It's a shame because these really do sound amazing, theyre quite loud, but a good kind of loud, and gave very good performance gains. There is a video on here of a green Boulevard M109r that has the exhaust on you tube if interested in the sound. I could also take a video if people are interested in what it sounds like.

Thanks!
Keith

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone take off (drill out) the inside caps(baffles) from the exhaust on the M109R???...there is a couple of videos on youtube that show up how to remove the baffles from inside the pipes. I would like to get a feedback on this, what the experience was like??. PLEASE REPLY

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
Has anyone take off (drill out) the inside caps(baffles) from the exhaust on the M109R???...there is a couple of videos on youtube that show up how to remove the baffles from inside the pipes. I would like to get a feedback on this, what the experience was like??. PLEASE REPLY
I did mine not long after buying it. My 2007 model only has 2 internal baffle walls to remove, the later models have 3. I drilled them then drilled either 6 or 8 holes in the end baffle, don't recall how many. It sounded much better than stock. I only changed out to get rid of some of the weight that the stock exhaust has.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I did mine not long after buying it. My 2007 model only has 2 internal baffle walls to remove, the later models have 3. I drilled them then drilled either 6 or 8 holes in the end baffle, don't recall how many. It sounded much better than stock. I only changed out to get rid of some of the weight that the stock exhaust has.
Thanks for the feedback. I also have a 2007 and I removed the 2 walls baffles on each pipe and made 3 extra holes at the outside edge on each pipe. It did change the sound a bit but in my case, the 2 farther walls baffles went inside the exhaust and I haven't been able to take them out. I tried with a pole magnet but couldn't get them out. I was wondering if that will be an issues if those pieces got stuck inside the pipes. Any feedback on that?

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
They won't hurt anything. If I had to guess, I'd say over half the people that have drilled them have lost the drilled pieces in there. They might rattle a little but there's nothing they can plug up.

I put some magnets inside the hole saw when I did mine and they managed to stick to it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
They won't hurt anything. If I had to guess, I'd say over half the people that have drilled them have lost the drilled pieces in there. They might rattle a little but there's nothing they can plug up.

I put some magnets inside the hole saw when I did mine and they managed to stick to it.
Smart move you did with the saw..... Yeah, I tried so hard to get them out with the pole magnet, at some point, the end of the magnet got stuck inside with something, I didn't know what it was, I assume maybe the catalytic?. Not sure...I kind of pulled off hard and I`m not sure If I moved something in there that could affect anything at all. At the end I wasn't able to get the caps out and got a bit concern If I affect anything at all inside...We ll see!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Smart move you did with the saw..... Yeah, I tried so hard to get them out with the pole magnet, at some point, the end of the magnet got stuck inside with something, I didn't know what it was, I assume maybe the catalytic?. Not sure...I kind of pulled off hard and I`m not sure If I moved something in there that could affect anything at all. At the end I wasn't able to get the caps out and got a bit concern If I affect anything at all inside...We ll see!
I ran the bike for the first time after the caps got trapped inside and when I parked, blue smoke started to come out from both pipes, smelling like if a piece of metal was burning inside. Kind of scary but I imagine the piece of baffle/metal is burning and melting in there...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,627 Posts
Did you use oil on the hole saw? Or it could be paint from the hole saw got scraped off and is smoking. There's no baffle material inside it that can burn, Nothing like packing or anything like that.

The two head pipes join together just in front of the SET valve to make one large pipe. That goes into the catalytic converter, which has two outlets for the mufflers. The upper muffler can be removed, the lower one is welded to the catalytic converter. So there's nothing in there that can get blocked or anything.. The metal pieces you cut off just lay in front of the first baffle in the muffler. Even if one managed to get to the cat, it wouldn't do anything. It can't block both mufflers at the same time and the engine would run fine even if it could only breath through one muffler.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you use oil on the hole saw? Or it could be paint from the hole saw got scraped off and is smoking. There's no baffle material inside it that can burn, Nothing like packing or anything like that.

The two head pipes join together just in front of the SET valve to make one large pipe. That goes into the catalytic converter, which has two outlets for the mufflers. The upper muffler can be removed, the lower one is welded to the catalytic converter. So there's nothing in there that can get blocked or anything.. The metal pieces you cut off just lay in front of the first baffle in the muffler. Even if one managed to get to the cat, it wouldn't do anything. It can't block both mufflers at the same time and the engine would run fine even if it could only breath through one muffler.
No, I didn't use anything...no other material on the piece of metal (baffle) that I can think of or on the saw that can cause the melt or the smell. W\However when I was using the magnet stick, trying to reach in for the pieces of meta inside the pipes, the point of the stick got stuck inside with something. I had a hard time to pulled it off, maybe I moved something in there that messed the catalytic??..If so, then I might have to replace the catalytic; can that be replace if that is the case?...Does this affect the performance of the bike at all?

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
No, I didn't use anything...no other material on the piece of metal (baffle) that I can think of or on the saw that can cause the melt or the smell. W\However when I was using the magnet stick, trying to reach in for the pieces of meta inside the pipes, the point of the stick got stuck inside with something. I had a hard time to pulled it off, maybe I moved something in there that messed the catalytic??..If so, then I might have to replace the catalytic; can that be replace if that is the case?...Does this affect the performance of the bike at all?
I don't think there is any catalyst in the collector of the North American M109R's. (I used to assume there was also)
I have not cut open a stock exhaust personally to look, but if you go by the service manual then there is only the exhaust valve in the collector of the North American M109R.
A good rule of thumb is probably......If the bike comes from factory with narrow-band O2 then you will have a CAT. If it does not, then you don't.

In the photo below, E02 is country code for UK and E19 is county code for Europe.

BCS
LGB/FJB

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts