M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
thinking about new rims.do i polish or buy chrome do polish look as good and is it harder to keep shiny.
Depends on your budget. Chrome is a lot less work in the long run. I wax them with ice, and then the next few months all I have to do is wipe and they look brand new. If you polish, you are going to have to maintain that, and the labor of doing it will get old quickly in my opinion. Also, they never end up looking like chrome.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Chrome for sure. Polished parts are OK for small, easy to reach parts but rims are way to labor intesive to keep up.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Apples or oranges?

I love polished metals. They just seem to have so much more character.

I see chrome, I say to myself 'someone spent some money on that bike'

I see polished, I say to myself 'someone spent some time on that bike'

I am not really impressed by what people spend, but much more by what they do.

Yes, polished takes a little extra attention, but if you get a nick or scratch, you can just polish it out rather than needing to rechrome.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Depends on your budget. Chrome is a lot less work in the long run. I wax them with ice, and then the next few months all I have to do is wipe and they look brand new. If you polish, you are going to have to maintain that, and the labor of doing it will get old quickly in my opinion. Also, they never end up looking like chrome.
:agree:
Chrome hands down.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
It's in the end a personal choice. No doubt chrome is preferred. I have thought of nickel plating. What do you guys think? It has a little bit of a yellow tint to it like the old nickels that had nickel.
If the end result didn't have people rubbing their chins and questioning whether your chrome was screwed up it might work nicely :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chrome is the only way to go unless you want to spend a couple of hours re-polishing your rims. And the rims or the hardest to keep clean.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Mine are polished but powdercoated clear(so no polishing) and my vote is still GO CHROME! :bigthumbsup: I will eventually end up with chrome whether it's chrome stockers or aftermarket!:dontknow:

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I think I am going to go Chrome this winter. But I was thinking at one point, "I have more time than money so polishing would be for me". Really, how much more work is involved with keeping the shine on Polished Wheels? I am weekend rider, I don't ride in the rain, I try not to ride if it's cloudy, I try not to ride when it's below 70 and here is a good one "Winds out of the east ride the least"!! Are we talking every 10miles I gotta stop pull the rag out and wipe my wheels down, then hop back on and ride another 10miles and repeat the process!!! or We talk'n maybe once a week, if that's the case, I am doing that with my factory wheels!
Not even once a week. You probably can wipe then down afer every ride and be fine for a month. At some point though, you will want to hit it up with the mothers power ball or do them by hand to bring them back closer to the chrome look. I have seen polished next to chrome. If those polished are not kept up, over time they tend to dull and just don't look as good as even dirty chrome.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Chrome

Maybe it's just me, but chrome is so old fashioned. I've seen it on everything for over 50 years. Now it just looksto me like someone spent a bunch of money to look like everyone else. I like the cast look of the original wheels. I saw a new HD Rocker recently, and it had lots of cast finished parts on it. That was the most interesting thing about the bike.
I think different surfaces other than chrome are more artistic, and stand out in a sea of chrome.
My Corvette has polished alloy wheels. I wouldn't swap them for chrome even straight across. I like the look. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Chrome

Easily maintained.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Polish all you want it will not be as good as chrome. Here are a few pictures chrome rim and a polished hub it does not look that bad till you use a 10 mega pic camera and take a picture. With a naked eye they look alot a like. I just have to hit hub with mother mag polish about every 6 months.
Chrome Hands down.:bigthumbsup:
Dam Guy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Go Chrome

thinking about new rims.do i polish or buy chrome do polish look as good and is it harder to keep shiny.
You will regret not spending the extra money on the Chromed variety. Better look and much easier maintenance. Polished rims on this cruiser will not match up as well with the rest of the chrome on the bike.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It depends on your budget and your polishing skills,the rims are a lot of work to do if you want to polish them.I don't think the up keep is that bad.I use a sealer to keep the shine longer.But is you want to speed some cash here is a link.http://coastalmoto.com/

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
chrome all the way !!!

polished items might look as good as chrome on the final day that you finish polishing it, but shortly after it begins to dull and never looks as good as chrome unless you are constantly polishing it to regain the luster.

polishing is less expensive but more time consuming in both preparation and upkeep.

chrome looks better longer and easily regains it's shine with a quick wipe down.

call liquidpain and get some !!!

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I'd go chrome or leave the wheels with their stock finish. Polished aluminum is WAY too much work to keep looking nice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts