M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if VA is consistent with your state laws. My friend just got a ticket for 105 in a 55 in Fairfax County, VA just outside Washington, DC. Apparently, Fairfax has instituted a more agrressive stance on speeding. Over 100mph = automatic jail time and length of sentence is 1 day in jail for every mph over 90. He's looking at 15 days in the slammer...he's getting an attorney.

Our group will routinely go way over a 100 around VA and MD but we pick our spots and make sure to do it in short bursts.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Go that fast in NC and it's automatic license revocation. They can take your license on the spot for doing over 15MPH more than posted, though they rarely do. I imagine if you were busted at 100+ you are gonna have to give up your license.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm not sure about speeding laws in Ma. But I did get a 100 dollar ticket last week, ( state trooper) for passing on the right.. A tourist was stopped in the road, ( no stop sign) so I went around him .... I was doing 5-10 mph... My last ticket was 26 years ago... :confused:

·
Registered
176 Posts
MONTANA:

61-8-725. Penalty for violation of speed limits -- no record for certain violations.

Amount of Fine MPH in Excess of Speed Limit
$ 20 1 - 10mph (daytime)
$20  1 - 10mph (nighttime)
$40  11 - 20mph 
$70  21 - 30mph
$100 31+mph

No driving record penalty's if 10 or less mph in excess of posted speed daytime....
No driving record penalty's if 5 or less mph in excess of posed speed night time...

You pay your 20 bucks on the spot to the cop and away you go....Montana rules :hot: :hot: :hot:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
JR,

I'm guessing that your Radar det is mounted in your cars & not your bike. I use one also, just wondering which brands you use. I use the Valentine One in my cars! :bigthumbsup: :doorag:

·
Registered
43 Posts
No one on bikes stop for the cops in Kansas City. The cops aren't able to pursue anyone who won't pull over for just traffic charges. :cop: There are crotch rockets doing 100+ mph on the highways all the time, and the cops will just watch them go by, and the bikers know they won't be pursued.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Anything 20 over in Michigan and it is wreckless driving. They can take you to jail on the spot and impound your vehicle. That rarely happens as it is more of a hassle for the cop. He will generally give you a ticket for 20 over and make you pay like $180 and give you 3 points...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Every penalty in N.Y. is the same. Fork over lots of $$$$$$$ then they hit you with a surcharge( The amount of which never seems to be the same but appears to depend on what the judge had for breakfast :verymad:) Then the Insurance Company has a Field day for the next 40 months.... more $$$. I got a $100 dollar seatbelt ticket out on L.I. in my Jeep with a matching one for the passenger. WE had JUST PULLED OUT FROM THE CURB! Thats why I ride the bike as often as I can ;)

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
KANSAS CITY-
that sounds too convenient for the police. do they even report it? if they don't, it sounds like they can pull over motorcyclists that are speeding all day long. and at 20 bucks a pop, i bet they don't ever have to go to the ATM. [rofl2]

MONTANA-
now that sounds too sweet of a deal. i might move there now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is pretty nice here, never gotten a ticket on a motorcycle. One of my friends got a ticket for 95 in a 75, we were doing about 97. We were side by side with a brand new duramax in his half to Chevy. The officer could have written it up as a speed contest though and it would have been $280 and a mandatory court appearance.

·
Registered
275 Posts
SVZuki said:
Anything 20 over in Michigan and it is wreckless driving. They can take you to jail on the spot and impound your vehicle. That rarely happens as it is more of a hassle for the cop. He will generally give you a ticket for 20 over and make you pay like $180 and give you 3 points...
I'm in Michigan and wife just got popped in my truck doing 15 over the limit (60 in a 45). The cop wrote her for 5 over (50mph) and that ticket was $115.00. What you said about the 20mph and over is correct. But, the cost is going to depend on the jurisdiction.

·
Registered
388 Posts
In Texas, exceeding the speed limit by 15 mph is a "serious traffic offense" I don't really know what that means for sure. Our tickets range from $120 for 5mph over up to $180 for 24 mph over. However, court fees vary. For exceeding the speed 25 mph and up, then you must "contact the court" for the amount you owe--and courts are allowed to add a "surcharge" for violations in excess of 25 mph.

Also, the speed limit doesn't matter if the officer believes you are not driving the speed that a "reasonably prudent person" would be driving "under the conditions."

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
In Toronto we have the over 50 law... automatic license taken away, $10,000 fine and vehicle towed away

·
Registered
692 Posts
RicoChet said:
In Toronto we have the over 50 law... automatic license taken away, $10,000 fine and vehicle towed away
Dont forget that its classified as racing so your vehicle will be or could be sold or just crushed by law - better be a nice judge!!!!

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
109er said:
Our group will routinely go way over a 100 around VA and MD but we pick our spots and make sure to do it in short bursts.
Remember, when doing 100MPH on a 9 it is really like 80-85. at 80 MPH on mine the construction speed check says I'm 70MPH. at slow speeds it's right.
anyone elses like this?

Also. in VA and Maryland especially on 95 or around DC you have to go 100 MPH to keep from getting run over. ;)

·
Registered
860 Posts
I agree, Go with the flow. The last thing I want to be is the "legal speed pace car" for the traffic in my lane while riding a motorcycle. You're right about I-95, cruise at 80 and you get passed.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
RicoChet said:
I couldn't believe the laws in Canadaland. We went to Niagara Falls in June and I saw the signs with the warnings. The fines are insane. I asked a guy on a crotch rocket if he ever has trouble. He said they never bother him. He hasn't had a ticket yet. With fines like that I almost wonder if it is worth throwing a leg over the bike. If I lived there I'd ride a honda Rebel just to keep myself slow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts