M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, what are those deadly little black things in the road? Some type of crack filler? They are super slippery at all times, especially when hot and wet. (insert clever joke here:)

Secondly, aside from avoiding them, is there a technique to deal with them while they have control of your wheel? I have a tendency to want to "get my wheel back" because sometimes they lead into another lane. A buddy of mine called them snakes, they are very unnerving.

Lastly, why don't they put sand or something with traction in them and in road paints? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
its a filler for the cracks in the asphalt, it protects the asphalt from moisture getting in and causing the crack to expand, and or, vibration caused by traffic distroying the crack further, thus, making costly road repairs for the city. moister kills asphalt and concrete, the material poured in the cracks is a rubberized asphalt material and yes, it is slippery stay off them when possable.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its a filler for the cracks in the asphalt, it protects the asphalt from moisture getting in and making the crack larger, thus, making costly road repairs for the city. moister kills asphalt and concrete, the material poured in the cracks is a rubberized asphalt material and yes, it is slippery stay off them when possable.
There is my buddy right there! Always when I need him. That makes sense, Thank you!

·
Registered
300 Posts
insurance claims waitig to happen...SD loves that crap:mad: i, hate it!! yes its my tax $$$$ and i say figure out something that isnt trying to kill me. riding in the black hills is the worst, going around all the curves and having that :edit: telling you where in the lanes to ride BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't ridden in San Diego yet but that is a great idea as I am so close. I could just jump on PCH. I will definitely watch out for those dang things, I know at least some percentage of crashes has to be influenced by them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
just out of curiosity!?!?!?! why does everyone think SD is automaticly san diego?? two letter abreviations are usually linked to states, are they not? but fyi....when i type SD its for south dakota. just sayin:dontknow: i wish i was in cali so i didnt have feet of rain water to contend with (this year sux just like last, i hate tons of rain)

G

·
You can find tar snakes all over the country. You just have to back off a little and not make any sudden inputs, like it was black ice. I try to make sure I don't hit them at a shallow angle. I aim to cross them at as close to 90 degrees as possible and steer away (gently) from the long paralell sections. That makes picking a line, and maintaining it, through a corner very important. Just don't panic and hit the brakes, or chop the throttle. Do everything gently and smoothly.

G

·
just out of curiosity!?!?!?! why does everyone think SD is automaticly san diego?? two letter abreviations are usually linked to states, are they not? but fyi....when i type SD its for south dakota. just sayin:dontknow: i wish i was in cali so i didnt have feet of rain water to contend with (this year sux just like last, i hate tons of rain)
It's a west coast thing.

Most of them have never seen much lest crossed the Rockies. ^-^;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts