M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to change the oil. Went and got it all ready, set up my tools, warmed up the bike and

had it all under control and ready to go. Took off the filter, drained both plugs, lube the rubber

seal on the filter and and replaced the filter on the bike. Now you might think I forgot to

replace the plugs before refilling with oil, no I did that right.You might think I used too much

oil since this is a qwirky bike to fill, no got that right. I started the bike and now you might

think I left the oil stick off and got oil all over the bike, no got that right too. Well I ran the bike

for a few minuets checking to make sure the oil light goes off to measure the oil level. That

was fine, but ran into a problem when I pulled in the clutch and put it in gear, it died, would

not keep running. I checked the oil level several times, did I not put in enough? Whats the

deal, I'm starting to worry. The bike dies when I put it in gear. I went inside and checked to

manual to make sure I had the right amount of oil and ran it some more. I put it in gear again for

about the fourth time and the bike keeps dying. What am I doing wrong, is this oil not gonna

work? Did I break a clutch or something? I'm not a mechanic. :pray:

What did I do wrong?
I didn't pull in the kickstand. :doh:

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
EVERYONE has done it! :redfaced: :D

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
At least you did'nt have it towed to the dealer to find out. Now that would have been embarassing.
Bob

·
Registered
81 Posts
:dontknow: LOL yup I've done that a cpl times, and was like WTF...now soak up whats left of your pride and go ride!

·
Radio Active Member
27,683 Posts
Glad to see that you answered your own question. :bigthumbsup: I was going to say kick stand but you found it out on your own.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Had the same 'problem' with my M90 when I put it back together after my winter mods. Embarrassing but what a feeling of relief when you realize your mistake! :D

·
Registered
877 Posts
:a20::a20:
dude heres 1 for u
i took the controls apart to paint covers figured out how to reassemble(thats 2 this site some1 took pics)went to start bike to make sure all buttons and switches work all was good except start button i thought...took back off and apart reassembled again:swear:no good...wtf...
accidentally bump it in 1st put in nutral started right up...:redfaced:

·
Registered
74 Posts
You guys got me thinking, talking about stupid things. A couple of years ago I was putting apes on my Road Glide. Had it torn apart and sitting in the living room running the wires thru the bars (pain in the [email protected]@). I was getting frustrated and in a hurry and the wife was laughing at me.

Too make a long story short, put the bars on, plugged everything back in, put the fairing on, wife outside and we where admiring how it looked.
Couldnt wait to go for a ride. Hopped on hit the started button and the horn went off. Hit the horn button and the left blinker came on. Hit the left blinker and the right blinker came on. Hit the left blinker, bingo, it started. Wife laughed and told everyone we knew.

Lesson take time and do it right or dont have wife around when doing mods.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I actually did the same thing the other weekend when I was adjusting my clutch. I thought I over adjusted my clutch b/c every time I put it into gear, it would stall. It took me over 30 mins of adjusting my clutch on both end to figure out the kickstand was still down.

We all have those moments!!!! I'm not ashamed to admit it!!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Been there too! A friendly reminder that got me? This bike wants to drive forward, even in neutral, when running. If you park, even flat ground, you run the risk of the bike driving off it's kickstand. My driveway is almost imperceptably declined toward the street. My bike drove off it's kickstand and broke a mirror, bar end, clutch lever etc. Don't make that mistake!:redfaced:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Been there too! A friendly reminder that got me? This bike wants to drive forward, even in neutral, when running. If you park, even flat ground, you run the risk of the bike driving off it's kickstand. My driveway is almost imperceptably declined toward the street. My bike drove off it's kickstand and broke a mirror, bar end, clutch lever etc. Don't make that mistake!:redfaced:
Need to adjust your clutch.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
You guys got me thinking, talking about stupid things. A couple of years ago I was putting apes on my Road Glide. Had it torn apart and sitting in the living room running the wires thru the bars (pain in the [email protected]@). I was getting frustrated and in a hurry and the wife was laughing at me.

Too make a long story short, put the bars on, plugged everything back in, put the fairing on, wife outside and we where admiring how it looked.
Couldnt wait to go for a ride. Hopped on hit the started button and the horn went off. Hit the horn button and the left blinker came on. Hit the left blinker and the right blinker came on. Hit the left blinker, bingo, it started. Wife laughed and told everyone we knew.

Lesson take time and do it right or dont have wife around when doing mods.
That's a riot!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have not done that......yet. As soon as I set on the bike the stand comes up and I will not leave it running in nutral on the stand (many reports of this bike rolling foreward and falling over). Now how do ya'll kill your bike.....key / kill switch or side stand. I always kill mine with the side stand and then turn the key off, it's a habit and I don't even think about it, just automatic. Sorry for the jack. :-*

1 - 20 of 39 Posts