M109 Rider Forums banner

What’s the 2nd Gear Mod?

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  bigpapaXCT 
#1 ·
I saw a post where a rider said his bike shifts into 2 much better now that he’s done the 2nd gear mod. I can’t seem to find out what the 2nd gear mod is. This is my fourth bike and the shift into second is the worst. Please let’s keep the thread to whatever the second gear mod .
Thanks
Deuce

#2 ·
The second gear mod involves sending your transmission to a shop. There they back cut the gears, replace the shift rods, and usually replace or hard face the shift forks. It's not so much that it makes it easier to shift, but in some cases it does, as it keeps them from jumping out of second gear.

#24 · (Edited)
I was taught a long time ago that what causes the gear to wear out is when you preload the shifter, I'm not saying this is right but I was told it over 20 years ago by a guy that ran a shop and have believed it so long my brain is having a hard time thinking it's something else. He said that when you preload the shifter it scrapes the oil off between the gear and fork and the more often, harder or length of duration you do will cause wear on the fork(its usually softer)faster. Once the fork gets wear on it the gear doesn't fully engage and it's a matter of time till it won't hold on the edge of the tooth. After the video in question and @bigpapaXCT I'm guessing I was taught wrong so my mind is still hurting, being wrong sucks

#26 ·
From the pictures I have seen of the wear on the face of the shift forks, I can't believe that pre-loading does anything good for them. I've just gotten used to shifting into 2nd at a low speed, or once in a while really ringing it out then shifting. Either one makes mine shift into 2nd just find, but it doesn't like shifting at intermediate revs very smoothly.

The other issue that I've seen Harris mention before, and maybe Matt to, is the wear that happens to the knob on the shift fork that engages the slots in the shift drum. I've seen those that were worn down a lot. When that happens the shifting gets sloppy.

To the previous question about does this happen to 3rd and 4th gears, not to the extent it does to 2nd. 2nd seems to always be the one that starts kicking out under power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.