M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post where a rider said his bike shifts into 2 much better now that he’s done the 2nd gear mod. I can’t seem to find out what the 2nd gear mod is. This is my fourth bike and the shift into second is the worst. Please let’s keep the thread to whatever the second gear mod .
Thanks
Deuce

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
The second gear mod involves sending your transmission to a shop. There they back cut the gears, replace the shift rods, and usually replace or hard face the shift forks. It's not so much that it makes it easier to shift, but in some cases it does, as it keeps them from jumping out of second gear.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If the bike is new and you recently picked up from the dealer check you clutch slack at the perch. Make sure there is a 2 quarters worth of gap between the clutch lever and perch where it pivots. I had hard shifting issues until I adjusted for slack

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
On early models they change or drill oil jet bigger. Second gear is at very end of oil passages. (last to get oil)
I've never seen or heard of that. Any links to someone that has done it? The transmission runs in an oil bath, so I'm not sure what jet would get drilled or changed.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
My oil doesn't make enough noise to notice. But it would be nice to be able to turn up or down the oil volume.
Being an engineer yourself, you can understand that when you send more oil to one place you are likely stealing oil from another. :)
You could end up, out of the frying pan and into the fire doing such things.

I am also a engineer, but not the kind that wears a suit and has a fancy diploma hanging the wall.
I am elbows deep in the machinery as an engineer on a ship.
We are the ones who make the stuff that the suit guys dream up and theorize about, actually work. :)

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
97 Posts
We are the ones who make the stuff that the suit guys dream up and theorize about, actually work. :)
1. I'm not sure my 'volume' (i.e. noise level) joke came through properly.

2. I remember telling one of my engineers, "that fixture you designed doesn't work (on the manufacturing floor)." He responded to me, as if I had the GULL to doubt his design, with, "We'll, it worked in Solidworks!"
I know the value of being hands on. 😉

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
Being any engineer yourself, you can understand that when you send more oil to one place you are likely stealing oil from another. :)
You could end up, out of the frying pan and into the fire doing such things.

BCS
LGB/FJB
And that has happened to folks that thought grinding a little more off the push pin would work better. A couple of those ended up wiping out the cams. :)

I wonder how many of us on here either are or were engineers. I was for most of my 42 years of working career. No degree in it either, I worked to learn what I needed but my official title was director of engineering when I retired.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
I think, maybe I am wrong, he is has been influenced by this video:

Thanks thevili, I've never seen that. He makes some good points but I've never seen any of our guys that have done tons of these ever mention modifying an oil jet.

If anyone else watches it, the actual part where he gets into the jet is at the 48 min. 30 second mark. It says 1 hour 38 min at the beginning, but the entire video is only 54 min. long.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I wonder how many of us on here either are or were engineers. I was for most of my 42 years of working career. No degree in it either, I worked to learn what I needed but my official title was director of engineering when I retired.
At a previous company I worked for they promoted the "Port Engineer" and had to come up with a new tittle for him. (This is cooperate job mind you, where most of his time would be spent in a high-rise, posh office building in downtown Seattle)
They selected the new tittle ........"Director of Port Engineering".
Those of us in the engineering crews on the vessels (who actually work for a living) waisted no time pointing out that the acronym of his tittle was........ DOPE
And a lot of times it fit him very well.

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I think, maybe I am wrong, he is has been influenced by this video:

I have not watched the video, but it came up before either here on the FB pages.
Harris responded saying the guy in the video is in Australia (I think) and Harris agreed that he would not recommend doing that all willy-nilly in your garage either.
Pretty sure he also said that in all the 2nd gear issues he has seen, none appeared to be from lack of lubrication.
The 2nd gear issue has more to do with the engineering of shift forks and rods themselves.
But I don't want to put words in his mouth, I am sure he will see this eventually and add or detract to/from this himself.

Seems the risk could far out way the rewards though, even if the job went well and to plan.
Would be interesting to know if that engine is still going strong or if it is a giant paper weight today.

Anyone else notice the generator cover?
That engine must be out of a C model?

BCS
LGB/FJB

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,609 Posts
Yo Zoom, you're probably playing it at 2x speed like I do.....😁
Lol, I did better than that. I dragged the slider along until it got interesting. :)

Anyone else notice the generator cover?
That engine must be out of a C model?

BCS
LGB/FJB
I didn't when I watched it last night, but it's obvious this evening. Wonder what that opening with the two screws gets into that they needed to provide for it?

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Lol, I did better than that. I dragged the slider along until it got interesting. :)

I didn't when I watched it last night, but it's obvious this evening. Wonder what that opening with the two screws gets into that they needed to provide for it?
I have never even put eyes on a C109 in person, but the generator inside is the same as the M109R I am sure.
So that cover likely serves the same purpose as the generator cover plug behind the derby cover on the M109R.
Its an access point so you can turn the crankshaft when timing the bike.

BCS
LGB/FJB

1 - 20 of 20 Posts