M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to put my Chocolate lab of almost 15 years asleep today. After we got everything situated and cleaned up. I thought I'd go for a ride to the gym on the 9. When I walked out, there was a hot air balloon flying behind my 9 so I took a pic. I'll have to post that pic later. It's on my FB but I'll have to load it here.

So when I returned I thought I'd go ahead and take a "therapy" ride.;) Man did that help. Took a short and VERY fast ride. There's nothing like taking my 9 out and enjoying the cool fall air while smelling the chimneys and the coal burning from some of the houses. Here's a couple places I stopped.

1. Old limestone mines.

There's two entrances. I've walked back in that mine and it's very interesting. That opening is a bout 40 feet high at least.

the last place I stopped was the B&O Viaduct.

the B&O railroad still runs across the bridge. It was built in the 1800's and is still in use!!! They don't make things like they used to.
The tray Run Viaduct is on the back of the WV state seal. Only .6 miles down the road. You can only see it in the Winter and Spring due to the leaves.

This is Route 72 in WV that runs along the white waters of the Cheat river. One of my favorite roads. And curvy too!:D:bigthumbsup:

Sure helped today...:doorag:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Bikers don't cry BUT------

It really brought tears to my eyes to hear about your dog and how dealt with that was probaly the same thing I would've done too. Sorry to hear about an animal that I'm sure a very dear part of your family.

We're animal lovers too: 3 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and an undetermined amount of chickens and ducks. I feel for you bro. Shiz we bury the animals, chickens, ducks, etc. as if they were family pets.

The pics were really nice and I'm sure that the ride had a theraputic effect like no other. That what seperates us from the rest of society, the bike, the oneness with the road and nature and its beauity. The smells, like no other that you can experience when in the 4 door.

Thanks bro, when my problems seem so larger there is always someone out there and can bring me back to ground. Hang in there bro.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Ben, really sorry to hear about your dog. Glad you got some therapy with the 9. Sometimes it is the little things that really help out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am so sorry about your dog, truly. I know how painful it is. Thank you for those pics, I love old mines and structures. I don't know why, but they intrigue me and make me smile. My pops used to take me dirt bike riding and there was a ton of old mines around, super dangerous in hindsight. There would be these huge open pits. Most of them had signage but some didn't and when I was a kid I of course thought they went all the way to China, a very long fall :)

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Bummer on your buddy Huffster,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I understand how you feel, and totally understand your therapy ride man,,,,,,,,,,,, The best thing for getting ones mind on something else.Great pics and I love that bridge pic, Very old and still standing. Thanks for sharing your day!!! I did a lil ride today, was a nice get away here as well.......

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Sucks Ben, Sorry for your loss! Man's best friend is just that MANS BEST FRIEND!!! They are for sure hard to loose........ Glad you to some 9 treatment! Here's that pic u were talking about..... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
loss of friend

It really brought tears to my eyes to hear about your dog and how dealt with that was probaly the same thing I would've done too. Sorry to hear about an animal that I'm sure a very dear part of your family.

We're animal lovers too: 3 horses, 3 dogs, 2 cats and an undetermined amount of chickens and ducks. I feel for you bro. Shiz we bury the animals, chickens, ducks, etc. as if they were family pets.

The pics were really nice and I'm sure that the ride had a theraputic effect like no other. That what seperates us from the rest of society, the bike, the oneness with the road and nature and its beauity. The smells, like no other that you can experience when in the 4 door.

Thanks bro, when my problems seem so larger there is always someone out there and can bring me back to ground. Hang in there bro.
very well said,I agree completely

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog. I have had to do the same thing a few times myself. I tried riding the same day and had to come home because I could not concentrate on the road. Thanks for the pics they are great.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Hey Ben sorry for your loss, i truely believe these so called pets we star off with, really do become our FAMILY. Glad your theropy ride helped a little, keep your head up bud

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys. We've been expecting this for a long while. Count was able to get a good last 6 weeks thanks to a new medicine. The worst part was and still is, explaining to a 3 year old where his dog is. He took it pretty good. We told him that he went to stay with the God that he prays to every night and that one day we'll all see him again.
It's amazing the roles that especially dogs take in our lives. This dog had been through a VERY abusive(Neglect) beginning then I took him(traded something for him) from his owner as a puppy, was at college with me, was ring bearer at our wedding, building a house, a divorce(usually follows building a house), a remarry and helped raising both Sebastians;).
I've only had two dogs on a whole different level of consciousness than normal dogs. One was Count and the other was Sebastian. In case you're wondering....yes my son was named after the first Sebastian. Not very many people know. I don't talk about it that much and when someone asks I usually change the topic. He was a yellow lab and was just as amazing as Count. Count helped teach him to swim and obey. It was amazing watching him take such a role. Sebastian was the type of dog that always wanted to be by your side. Listened EXTREMELY well.
One day I was loading hay into my barn. After unloading I was flying down my driveway to get another load. I looked back in my mirror about half way down the road and there was Sebastian surfing on the trailer as it was bouncing around. Funniest thing I've seen. We stopped and he jumped in the back of the truck. He could jump into the back of an Avalanche with over-sized tires and never touch the side.:eek:
Count was the dog with brains and Sebastian was the dog with the biggest heart. He always knew. When my wife left, I was all alone with just him. (She took count) I wasn't allowed to communicate with her or anyone.(Attorneys) It would be a year and a half before we would speak. This dog was always there he would ride on the four wheeler, large tractor, truck...anything.
I had mowed hay. I didn't have the big tractor where he could ride. He ran beside me all day. To no avail, he wouldn't just sit and wait for me to get done. I looked back to check the last 5 feet of grass to finish, I felt him go under the tractors tires. I scooped him up and we loaded into truck. I was flying to the Vet and they were coming in as fast as they could. As I got to the bridge over the interstate, Sebastian scooted over and put his head in my lap, looked up as if to say, it's okay. Then he died.
I don't believe in reincarnation, but dogs like these have to be next on the round. So when my son came along. There really wasn't any doubt about it. We decided on Sebastian. It's scary sometimes the similarities. Some of the tricks Sebastian used to to do this Sebastian will just do something exactly the same. Even my wife has said something to me about it.
But it's these good friends, whether it's a dog, cat, horse, bear:eek:, snake that help get us through our days. I've learned so much about life from each one of them. I have always used their example on how to be a friend to my friends. Hopefully you've had a friend like this too.:bigthumbsup: Now off to the WVU game!!! Let's Go Mountaineers!

Every time I think about this it reminds me of this song and I am proud.:p Many of you have seen it before.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Hell of a story, bro

Again I'm really sorry to hear the BAD news, hang in there. :D

Thanks Guys. We've been expecting this for a long while. Count was able to get a good last 6 weeks thanks to a new medicine. The worst part was and still is, explaining to a 3 year old where his dog is. He took it pretty good. We told him that he went to stay with the God that he prays to every night and that one day we'll all see him again.
It's amazing the roles that especially dogs take in our lives. This dog had been through a VERY abusive(Neglect) beginning then I took him(traded something for him) from his owner as a puppy, was at college with me, was ring bearer at our wedding, building a house, a divorce(usually follows building a house), a remarry and helped raising both Sebastians;).
I've only had two dogs on a whole different level of consciousness than normal dogs. One was Count and the other was Sebastian. In case you're wondering....yes my son was named after the first Sebastian. Not very many people know. I don't talk about it that much and when someone asks I usually change the topic. He was a yellow lab and was just as amazing as Count. Count helped teach him to swim and obey. It was amazing watching him take such a role. Sebastian was the type of dog that always wanted to be by your side. Listened EXTREMELY well.
One day I was loading hay into my barn. After unloading I was flying down my driveway to get another load. I looked back in my mirror about half way down the road and there was Sebastian surfing on the trailer as it was bouncing around. Funniest thing I've seen. We stopped and he jumped in the back of the truck. He could jump into the back of an Avalanche with over-sized tires and never touch the side.:eek:
Count was the dog with brains and Sebastian was the dog with the biggest heart. He always knew. When my wife left, I was all alone with just him. (She took count) I wasn't allowed to communicate with her or anyone.(Attorneys) It would be a year and a half before we would speak. This dog was always there he would ride on the four wheeler, large tractor, truck...anything.
I had mowed hay. I didn't have the big tractor where he could ride. He ran beside me all day. To no avail, he wouldn't just sit and wait for me to get done. I looked back to check the last 5 feet of grass to finish, I felt him go under the tractors tires. I scooped him up and we loaded into truck. I was flying to the Vet and they were coming in as fast as they could. As I got to the bridge over the interstate, Sebastian scooted over and put his head in my lap, looked up as if to say, it's okay. Then he died.
I don't believe in reincarnation, but dogs like these have to be next on the round. So when my son came along. There really wasn't any doubt about it. We decided on Sebastian. It's scary sometimes the similarities. Some of the tricks Sebastian used to to do this Sebastian will just do something exactly the same. Even my wife has said something to me about it.
But it's these good friends, whether it's a dog, cat, horse, bear:eek:, snake that help get us through our days. I've learned so much about life from each one of them. I have always used their example on how to be a friend to my friends. Hopefully you've had a friend like this too.:bigthumbsup: Now off to the WVU game!!! Let's Go Mountaineers!

Every time I think about this it reminds me of this song and I am proud.:p Many of you have seen it before.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Whew! Huff that's a story :bigthumbsup: Log me in the category that has had a lot of wild dog stories AND understands how you feel. In 61 years I have lost a lot of canine friends and I have to admit I have shed a few tears and it makes me wonder why I never seem to cry over a human friend or relative...well at least I'm not a heartless bastard :-\ All my dogs understood me better then my wives :D

·
Banned
15,179 Posts
Man Ben,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I just finished watching a YES concert, and reading this ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, well it brought tears to my eyes Mr.......... Our pets are just as big a part of us as anything. My 2 lil dogs wiggles and sugar is all I have right now............. I feel for ya man!!! We will and are surviving Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee to dat!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ain't nothing or nobody gonna bring us down,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I have'nt Shed a Tear In years Ben , Very Sorry For your Loss ,But thanks For Sharing your Story
"lord help me to Be as Good as My Dog Thinks I am "

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You know it really ticks me off when you guys make me cry. I almost feel human. When you getting the next one. I am on my 4th yellow lab named Lumis and have a couple wiener dogs now all under 8yrs so I should be good for a while.Best wishes on the new dog and sorry for your loss of the old one,Gregg

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,882 Posts
That's an awesome story Ben, and I and a lot of others know exactly how you feel after losing your best friend. I lost my dog (Black Lab/Golden Retriever mix) almost 3 years ago and still glance towards her kennel every morning when I get up. I know I don't expect to see her there, but I can't help but look. And I still miss her to this day and probably always will. We keep talking about getting another dog but I don't want to go through losing another. My wife's sister called this evening and said her Maltese passed away last night, only 3 years old, and I think my wife took it as hard as her sister did.

Prayers sent my friend, and thanks for the heart warming story.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts