M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I layed her down today, We were riding home today from an overnighter to Yosemite with a group that my wife and I just joined, we were cruiseing HWY 49 north out of Meriposa CA, when I lost my line on an inside curve, (in other words, I was sight seeing) I looked up, and I was looking at a virticle wall. The moment I looked up, I knew I was going down. I hit the gravel on the edge of the road, watched my front tire slide out, and next thing I knew I was under the bike trying to get out from underneath the bike. Thanks to Gods good grace the damage to the bike and me was minor. I was somewhat sureprised that I was unable to get the bike off of myself. Luckily we were with an experianced group, who handled the situation with the utmost proffesionalism. Being that we were on a winding mountain road, everybody presant took the appropriate measures to make sure traffic and (rescue) measures performed rapidly and smoothly.
Once the bike and I were up, the self exam was done (I figured I will live) Not sure yet about my pride. We continued on to the next available stop were I was able to take stock of my situation.

Turns out, my pride was the biggest injury that I incured + My Insurance deductible (OUCH).

The biggest lesson I learned today (Should be DON'T SIGHTSEE WHILE ON THE TWISTIES), but what impacted me most was? If your going to ride with a group of any size, 2 or more, you had better have some kind of plan in mind for an energency situation.

You and your riding partner (or group) should have a pre-ride plan in place in case of a worst case scenario. I don't think any of us under estimate the danger of what we do (Motorcycle riding). But, if I may? I think the majority of us, (Under estimate the situation we could find our selves in if we don't plan ahead).

Bottom line. Find a capable partner (or group), make a plan, and work your plan. And don't sightsee while riding the twisties!!

Finally I want to thank the members of the Sacramento Road Cruises, I don't think this situation could have been handled any better given the local and available resourses.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
sorry to hear about your accident. very glad to hear that you are ok and that damage and injuries were minor. sounds like you had a nice group of people that you were riding with.

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,864 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that bro, but I'm glad the damage to both you and the bike were minimal.

It scares me sometimes riding alone, you never know what will happen and who will help. But on the other side I don't like riding in large groups, as one accident can impact several others. My wife and I ride together all the time and that seems to be a good number, two. :D

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Lucky

Glad to see you are ok! Pride will heal and the bike can be fixed! Believe me I know I get my bike back next week. $500 deduc. and $4,500 in insurance money. What I thought was minor damage ended up being double what I thought it was going to be fix. Take the bike to someone you trust and make sure they check everything over and over again!!!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Glad your ok, It's hard not to look around up in that area. Best to pull over and take a pic. My friend did the same thing on Hwy 108. He couldn't continue the ride though.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Glad to hear you and your beast came out relatively unscathed.
If you get a chance you should post pictures of the damage on here so go along with your story. It's good for all of us to get a little reminder from time to time how much we need to keep focused while out there on the road.

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Glad to hear that you are OK. Get her fixed up so you can get back on the road soon. Heal up fast. :doorag:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Glad to hear that the damage to especially YOU and your 9 were minor. Take care and keep that shiney side up from now on.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Man glad your ok! That is some scary chit. That's good you had some help and only your pride was really hurt. But you'll be ok and lesson learned & you'll be a wiser rider from this day forward.

Beware of COMPLACENCY!!!!

I've ridden balls to the walls in twisties, scraped the BeGeezus out of my pegs and frame and pushed the limit of my ability before and never had one issue. Then I go ride and purposely back it off, ride slower & take it easy and wake up in an ambulance. :eek: It makes no sense, but the reality is that sometimes we get overconfident or complacent or both. It only takes one mistake, one miscalculation, one misjudgement or one over-correction to go down.

It doesn't matter how many years or thousands of miles you've put on your bike it can happen to anyone of us. And yes sigthseeing in the curves is a big No-No!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am very glad to hear you walked away from that situation!!:bigthumbsup:
Thank the Good Lord for sparing your life!!..:bow:,and having very experienced rider's with you to get you up,and going again!!..:2cool:

Again!,,Very happy to hear you,and your wife made it home Safe,and Sound!!!!!..:pray:......
:dontknow:I've seen rider's "ACTUALLY"look"BACKWARD'S"while driving on very busy street's!!!:yikes:???...
"That's Freaking Crazy!!!..."I" sure the He11 "Do Not" want to be involved in that kind of "STUPID SITUATION"!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Especially when you have a passenger with you!!!!...???:doh:There are to many ["Idiotic","Cager's"] on the road's!..They don't care about Motorcycle's,and don't pay"ATTENTION" at all!!!!!!:cus:..["Never let your GUARD DOWN] when driving a bike!!!!:eek:

There's not a "Thing Worth" looking at!!...Taking your eye's off the road is just to "DANG RISKY" for me!!!...:dontknow:....I ride as a passenger right now,and my eye's are on the road's like"I"was the driver!!..:clap2:
My eye's are very well trained,and Ready to Ride!.(Drive) my own!:2excited::hot:I have a 750 Hounda Shadow that will be on the road soon!:bigthumbsup:
I have never drove a motorcycle before,but i've seen a lot of stupid people driving them!..:eek:....Thank God my eye's are pinned on the road's at all time's!!...:a18:.....No Disrespect toward's Any Rider!..JMHO!
Enjoy Riding,and "PLEASE" be Safe out there!!:nojoke::bigthumbsup:

Take Care,Ride Safe!!...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Man glad your ok! That is some scary chit. That's good you had some help and only your pride was really hurt. But you'll be ok and lesson learned & you'll be a wiser rider from this day forward.

Beware of COMPLACENCY!!!!

I've ridden balls to the walls in twisties, scraped the BeGeezus out of my pegs and frame and pushed the limit of my ability before and never had one issue. Then I go ride and purposely back it off, ride slower & take it easy and wake up in an ambulance. :eek: It makes no sense, but the reality is that sometimes we get overconfident or complacent or both. It only takes one mistake, one miscalculation, one misjudgement or one over-correction to go down.

It doesn't matter how many years or thousands of miles you've put on your bike it can happen to anyone of us. And yes sigthseeing in the curves is a big No-No!
:agree:...Very well said!..:bigthumbsup:

Take Care,Ride Safe!!...:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
940 Posts
I'm glad your mishap was somewhat minor, I always hate to here of anyone going down but it's always a good reminder to the rest of us. Get well soon.

I wanted to put a smiley face on here but there all used up.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Lessons learned just make you a better rider!!!

Glad to hear you're alright mate... speedy recovery for you and your 2 wheel'd buddy!! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
glad you are ok never like to hear anyone going down

1 - 20 of 24 Posts