M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will edit with pictures as soon as I cool off and walk back oustide and get the camera out of the garage. Had more than a few difficulties on this project(s), been way too long since I worked on a bike. Lets start the list at the top and go over some of the difficulties so they aren't repeated, shall we?

Big Air (Chrome) - Went together like a dream, kudos to Hal and the guys over at DLP for remembering to include loctite, ended up using it on almost every mod I made, was a full 1oz bottle. Difficulty > Left side connector to the air box just would not stay connected to the back of the big air assembly. Solution > Take the tank off the bike (does it really only have one screw holding it on? Sheesh), remove said hose from the airbox under the tank, attach to big air and tighten. Loosen the air box clamp a great deal, slide everything back in without forgetting the little hose and clamp on the back and reconnect and tighten down the hose going into the airbox.

2" Risers from Kewl Metal - Very good video, might want to mention that the bike lift isn't an option for this one. Got all the way up to removing the top of the triple-tree and discovered when I was putting it back that the fork legs had flexed too far. Got a jack stand from a friend, should have gotten him to come help also as I almost dumped the bike off of it. Once the weight of the bike was off the front wheel however, the triple tree dropped right into place and bolted right back up.

PIAA headlight > No difficulties there, even I can screw that up.. usually 8)

Iso Grips > Throttle side install is a bit tricky, Felix T Cat's walkthru was spot on however. The Throttle boss however is going to take some adjustment, got it too high on the grip atm. Clutch side the only problem was getting all the old adhesive off, nothing some 100% IPA won't fix! (My skin feels like parchment right now cause of it tho.. nasty stuff).

Kuryakan Wingboards > Are you kidding? By the time I got all that other stuff done I was too tired to put them on.. Will only take like 2 minutes a side for those anyway, adjusting the position may be a chore.

Bungee buttons >> Like the headlight, only possibility for a fubar here is geting the wrong bolt in the wrong hole.. Figure we guys have all had that issue at least once, more than once if we drink heavily :D

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dynamos2000 said:
hmmm I take it it's not 45 degrees and raining where you are :eek:
Try 84 degrees and 80% humidity :D I love it, I'm not cold any more like I was the entire month I was in Northern Cali

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rasputin said:
NICE!..how do you find the feel of the risers?
With my short arms.. about an inch too short 8)

Honestly I had JUST finished when I came back in, I've only ridden it around the parking lot to make sure I got everything tightened back down good. I will say that it feels a LOT different with the Iso grips, they're about a 1/2" (12mm) larger than the stockers, also, I had some slack in my throttle that I took out so throttle is a weeeeee bit touchy right now :D

Low speed steering also feels a bit different with the bars so much closer to you, not too wierd, but a full lock lowspeed turn did almost put the bar into my ribs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just a quick question about the headlight. I've been thinking about doing it myself. Can you tell that it's noticeably brighter at night? I do quite a bit of night riding, and could use all the illumination I can get.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
firecat said:
Sweet very nice job and your bike is clean :D :D :D :2cool: :2cool: :2cool: ok so now what are you going to do :D
Next thing will be a PCIII and a trip to the dyno, possibly a set of Hacker 2-into-1's if they get a bend in them that makes them fit... Kinda think they are too "cruiser" and not enough "Sport" in the first pics I saw of them.

computerdude said:
Just a quick question about the headlight. I've been thinking about doing it myself. Can you tell that it's noticeably brighter at night? I do quite a bit of night riding, and could use all the illumination I can get.
Wish I could tell ya bro, spent all day in the garage and most of yesterday, too tired to think about riding right now 8)

G

·
Good going bro. Looks good. Your hard work paid off. Bike looks great and when it is all done you will be cruizin in super style. You all ready have the fastest color so all the extras just make it even sweeter. Very nice. BTW the wing boards are a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bruno said:
Good going bro. Looks good. Your hard work paid off. Bike looks great and when it is all done you will be cruizin in super style. You all ready have the fastest color so all the extras just make it even sweeter. Very nice. BTW the wing boards are a piece of cake.
hehe.. actually, I'm a glutton, I went back out and put them on, then realize with my current boots they probably aren't workable without some serious repositioning.. So I took them back off and put the stockers back on.. :dontknow: May try to get them all hooked up for our ride on Saturday, probably not at this point.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hey Dude Bike looks Nice ,I wish I had all my stuff on mine :( My Grips, JSD,Breakaway,ETC... are still in a box beside me here,I didn't have time before Biketoberfest and now I'm working Graveyard :( :( :(

Looks like Next Thursday For me! I Can't wait!!!

Still Have The Exhaust to do also!!! Later Silentrider

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
silentrider said:
Hey Dude Bike looks Nice ,I wish I had all my stuff on mine :( My Grips, JSD,Breakaway,ETC... are still in a box beside me here,I didn't have time before Biketoberfest and now I'm working Graveyard :( :( :(

Looks like Next Thursday For me! I Can't wait!!!

Still Have The Exhaust to do also!!! Later Silentrider
Get some really strong Isopropanol (Rubbing Alcohol), at least 90% if you can buy it in the drug stores where you live, to get the old glue off the clutch side bars. I used 100% (got it from work, Semiconductor industries uses 99.99999% pure IPA for everything) and a red shop rag soaked in it and just wrapped in around the bar, grabbed the ends of the rag and did the ole "saw" thing, ripped right thru the old glue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts