M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Could be a sign of bearing failure, but not likely----you would have known by now. Most likely lack of lube on the axle (appearantly standard on the 109's) and the bearing allowed a bit of condensation to build up on the inner surface from heat. Just clean it up real good, put a good high temp grease layer on the axle, and re-install. You should have no worries. I have had several out and some I had to beat out due to no grease on the axle from the factory. Oh, you can check the bearing just by turning it with you fingure. If it feels smooth and not notchy--your good to go.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only noise it made was a small popping noise. So I took the drive shaft out of the hub and greased it, my u-joint and checked my secondary. Gears looked great. So I started to re install everything, once I got to my axle to clean it I found the wear mark.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be a sign of bearing failure, but not likely----you would have known by now. Most likely lack of lube on the axle (appearantly standard on the 109's) and the bearing allowed a bit of condensation to build up on the inner surface from heat. Just clean it up real good, put a good high temp grease layer on the axle, and re-install. You should have no worries. I have had several out and some I had to beat out due to no grease on the axle from the factory. Oh, you can check the bearing just by turning it with you fingure. If it feels smooth and not notchy--your good to go.
Thanks Bro!!

G

·
I would check the bearings to make sure they rotate smoothly and check to make sure the spacer that goes into the differential hub hasn't been lost. (pg. 9-39 in the manual) Or if your wheels aren't stock that the spacer between the bearings got put back in. If all the spacers ar in place and the axel is tightened properly there is no way an inner bearing race can spin to cause wear like that. Something is not right and you need to find it.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I would check the bearings to make sure they rotate smoothly and check to make sure the spacer that goes into the differential hub hasn't been lost. (pg. 9-39 in the manual) Or if your wheels aren't stock that the spacer between the bearings got put back in. If all the spacers ar in place and the axel is tightened properly there is no way an inner bearing race can spin to cause wear like that. Something is not right and you need to find it.
:agree::agree:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts