M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this has me a little perplexed... not sure what to make of it.

Yesterday, towards the end of a ride, I came to a stop at a light.  Upon accelerating in 1st, taking a right, the bike made an odd click-clank sound when engaging 1st gear and stalled out.  At first, I thought I had just killed it with too quick a clutch release... she started right up.

So after this stop and right turn, I'm accelerating on an on-ramp getting on the highway.  I was watching traffic to my left so not sure what the speedo read, but was certainly in 3rd...  Anyhow, I merge in to the right-hand lane of traffic in 3rd, see there's no one in the left lane so I swing over, grab some throttle and accelerate pretty heavy.  But, wait, the bike is really bogging and a quick glance in my mirror shows SMOKE (blue) behind me??? WTF?  So I ease up on the throttle, kick in to 4th, then 5th and look for the next exit.

After pulling over I check things out... no apparent leaks, no odd stains or like fouling on the exhaust, she seems to be idling ok and when I grab some throttle for a few free revs, nothing out of the oridinary.  So I take her back on the highway, accelerating pretty gingerly and keep an eye on things for the next 10 miles.  When I get off the highway and have a chance, from a stop I do a hard acceleration through 4th... nothing out of the originary.

Ok - so this is wierd right?  I don't know what happened but should I have it checked out?  It was so odd I starting doubting anything could have been wrong and began to wonder if, when I was getting on it, if I was somehow in 2nd instead of 3rd and the bogging I felt was redline/fuel cut and the smoke was rubber... is that possible???

Sorry for the long post - nice book eh?  Looking for some ideas or thoughts on this...

J

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
When I first started reading this I thought you might have lost a valve (I know of one 109 that did) but seeing it's fine now I'm not sure what to think. :dontknow:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Jc, I did have a similar thing happen to me with the smoke, and it was after the first K&N filter mod I tried and after the overfilled oil had been sorted out. I did the same thing, pulled over and looked her over, but found nothing out of the ordinary. Since then I have not had one even minor issue with the bike. I did finall yremove the stock air boxes and all of that and went through the 600 mile initial tune-up. How many miles dis you have on it when this happened?

·
Radio Active Member
27,669 Posts
Blue smoke indicates that you are burning oil.  If it was black I would say that you are running to rich.  Check your oil level.  I would just keep a good record of when it happens and all of the circumstances, weather, temperature, what you where dong to the bike.  Every little detail.  You never know what information might help to diagnose your problem.  Good luck and safe ridding.   :doorag:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey guys, couldn't this have just been a valve temporarily sticking? Dirt? Contaminate?
The same thing happened to me on a car a while back and it was a valve sticking, the dirt worked it's way out and I didn't have any other problems...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts