M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always dreaming of ways to cut weight from whatever I have.

On Saturday they did a Formula One show that showed what they are doing to cut unsprung weight.

They have started making wheels that have a lot less metal in the center to save weight. The wheels can only be used for about 1,000 miles before they are considered "worn out". Previous F1 wheels could last about 4,000 miles.

Can you imagine the bills for wheels that these teams get? No wonder it costs so much to put one of these teams together.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I wish I had a nickel on the dollar they spend in a year  :bigthumbsup:  I guess soon they will make them just thick enough to last for the length of time that a set of tires last and just throw the whole thing away  :dontknow:

It is amazing the extremes they go to get such what seems to me and insignificant edge.  But I guess it's not to them.

I have'nt ever been much of a weight cutter, I usually try to squeeze a few hp's with a modest investement though  ;)

khrome

·
Registered
752 Posts
Weight savings increases performance in every area, handling, braking and acceleration. HP added just helps acceleration. Also unsprung weight is a much better savings because wheel weight has a huge effect on acceleration. Bigger than most would suppose.

·
Registered
849 Posts
With that in mind, I'm reasonably sure I'd spring for new wheels for the 109 if the cosmetic improvement also saved a little weight but I've had little luck getting comparison figures between stock and the replacement wheels that are offered.
Jer

·
Registered
898 Posts
L-Train said:
Weight savings increases performance in every area, handling, braking and acceleration.  HP added just helps acceleration.  Also unsprung weight is a much better savings because wheel weight has a huge effect on acceleration. Bigger than most would suppose.
So then it would be your opinion that Danica has a big advantage? :joke:

khrome

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J R said:
You should call me somtime about this kinda stuff if you really are interested in this sorta thing  ;)
One of these days I am gonna stop in JAX and chat with you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
khrome13 said:
So then it would be your opinion that Danica has a big advantage? :joke:

khrome
Personally I think that her best days are behind her. Now that she got married her brain is thinking about her husband and future family. Not a good thing for a female race car driver.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Unfortunately I think you are right Hal.  Which is bad for us, since she's married and falling from the spotlight there won't be any more FHM pics  :(

khrome

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
HalGreenlee said:
Personally I think that her best days are behind her. Now that she got married her brain is thinking about her husband and future family. Not a good thing for a female race car driver.
Okay, I'll be the fish...and bite on this one.

So, does that mean that male race car drivers don't think about their wife future family if they are married, have a girlfriend, etc.?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wildwolf said:
Okay, I'll be the fish...and bite on this one.

So, does that mean that male race car drivers don't think about their wife future family if they are married, have a girlfriend, etc.?
I think that her female nesting genes kick in and make her think about racing differently. In nature they call it "preservation of the species". Men don't have that gene. Thats because men are predisposed to be the warriors.

Its kind of like when someone is injured and their muscles remember how they got hurt and don't want to do it again. Its why racers sometimes never come back from bad accidents. Their body won't let them go to the point where he was the last time he got hurt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts