M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have replaced my OEM signal light lenses with smoked replacement lenses. They are very close to OEM, but have a little more play in them when installed. They are properly seated and have the original set screw in the bottom.
Has anyone sealed off these types of lights to waterproof them? What did you use for best results and best clean look.

Dave

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
Silicon will seal anything up, but might make it difficult to get the the bulb down the road.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have replaced my OEM signal light lenses with smoked replacement lenses. They are very close to OEM, but have a little more play in them when installed. They are properly seated and have the original set screw in the bottom.
Has anyone sealed off these types of lights to waterproof them? What did you use for best results and best clean look.

Dave
Hey Dave, you might try thread tape. Should work.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Silver,
Thread tape? Never heard of it. Just got about 3 inches of snow, so I guess I have all winter to ponder this topic.
Stupid part of the world man. Either 40 below or 40 above...sucks.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hey Silver,
Thread tape? Never heard of it. Just got about 3 inches of snow, so I guess I have all winter to ponder this topic.
Stupid part of the world man. Either 40 below or 40 above...sucks.
:agree:I hear you bro, I'm one province over in AB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape
It's the same teflon "tape" this is used in the plumbing/gas-fitting industry to wrap the male threaded end in plumbing/gas fitting attachments. It provides a watertight/airtight seal in these applications so I don't see why it wouldn't work on your lenses. This is of course, assuming the lenses are threaded? You can get this stuff at any hardware store...

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,861 Posts
:agree:I hear you bro, I'm one province over in AB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape
It's the same teflon "tape" this is used in the plumbing/gas-fitting industry to wrap the male threaded end in plumbing/gas fitting attachments. It provides a watertight/airtight seal in these applications so I don't see why it wouldn't work on your lenses. This is of course, assuming the lenses are threaded? You can get this stuff at any hardware store...
The lenses aren't threaded, so the tape wouldn't work. I wondered how you thought that would work so I'm glad you explained it. :D

The lenses have two slots in them that engage two nubs on the inside of the case. You turn them one way to take them off, and the other way to install them.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The lenses aren't threaded, so the tape wouldn't work. I wondered how you thought that would work so I'm glad you explained it. :D

The lenses have two slots in them that engage two nubs on the inside of the case. You turn them one way to take them off, and the other way to install them.
My bad...thanks for clearing that up for me Zoom:bigthumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts