M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Very sobering article, thanks for posting. Going to buy the wife & I jackets this weekend. Can't afford it...gonna 'charge' them...but after seeing that, I think we can't afford NOT to have them. She already has pants.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Haven't read the story yet, but is this the chick from the video where her boyfriend does a wheelie and dumps her off the back of the bike?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Medic1210 said:
Haven't read the story yet, but is this the chick from the video where her boyfriend does a wheelie and dumps her off the back of the bike?
Actually I think the wind tossed her from the bike due to the speed her boyfriend was running.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I gotta say, that story is quite moving. If it don't convince people (myself included) to gear up for the crash, then nothing will. I have picked up many patients like her, but have not been able to follow up with their care. They are always transferred to the UNC Hospital Burn Center, and I never hear anything else about their condition. I can't wait till my overpants arrive Monday. I think I'll vow to never ride without my jacket, pants, and gloves again (helmet is a given as it's the law). Man that story was powerful and very well written. I'm glad she has the positive outlook needed to survive this trauma and get back on the bike.

Edited to add: I checked her MySpace page. Seems she still has her sense of humor. Everybody has seen this shirt before... Just a bit too ironic huh?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Kinda' brings the "proper gear" thing into perspective! I would wish that kind ordeal on my worst enemy. I have had a few of falls in my riding time ( some on the race track, some on the street ), but thankfully, I had on great gear and it saved my hide! Sliding down the freeway at 75 mph is not fun. With the proper gear on, it's alot less painful.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
veezer said:
Sliding down the freeway at 75 mph is not fun. With the proper gear on, it's alot less painful.
And try it at 120MPH.... That's what her accident blog on MySpace said they were doing. Ouch.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think that her story will make me think twice about how I've been dressing before going riding lately. I've taken to riding with my full face Arai helmet, jeans, t-shirt, no gloves, high topped tennis shoes basically, and that's it. If I go down I probably wouldn't have that much road rash as I don't get to very high speeds just cruising around town, but I would definitely have road rash, and I've had it before and it HURTS! I went down on the freeway once and had on all the right gear and am glad I had this helmet on:

Like someone else said here recently, I may not be the most handsome guy in the world, but I just think how much less handsome I would have been had I been wearing a half helmet when this accident occured. :eek:

Wear your gear folks, cuz you just never know when you are gonna go down next! ;)

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Wow...sad story , but one we learn from...I have been riding scince 1982 , I don't care how hot or nice it is...I WEAR MY GEAR ! Boots, jacket , gloves ,Jeans, Helmet..
ect.

It's amazing...when I go to the ocean front and see gals riding on the back of crotch rockets with bathing suits on...how silly ?

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
EAGLEFAN67 said:
Wow...sad story , but one we learn from...I have been riding scince 1982 , I don't care how hot or nice it is...I WEAR MY GEAR ! Boots, jacket , gloves ,Jeans, Helmet..
ect.
That's better than me most of the time, but are your jeans reinforced with Kevlar like Draggin Jeans? If not, then they offer minimal protection from the asphault. They will rip to shreds very quickly and leave your bare skin exposed for road rash.

·
Registered
260 Posts
all my friends ask me " man isn't that hot " because i wear all my gear
my reply is " yes but not as hot as road rash that last for months"
they still don't get it
my GF went threw 3rd degree burns from her butt to ankles and trust me i never want to go threw what she went threw

Bruce

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Medic1210 said:
That's better than me most of the time, but are your jeans reinforced with Kevlar like Draggin Jeans? If not, then they offer minimal protection from the asphault. They will rip to shreds very quickly and leave your bare skin exposed for road rash.
I need to lose some weight, Omar the tent maker does not make Draggin Jeans so they dont come in my size...

Sledzep

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
sledzep01 said:
I need to lose some weight, Omar the tent maker does not make Draggin Jeans so they dont come in my size...

Sledzep
LOL... There's some incentive for ya... You don't want to lose the weight.... by leaving it on the road as you slide down it... :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Delmustator said:
For those of you who have not seen this story before. It's a prime reason why you should wear your safety gear.

This girl found out what 'Road Rash' is all about.

The complete article...
http://www.speedfreakinc.com/content/articles/riding/roadrashqueen.html
Thanks for the reality check,

This reminds me that I have to get my wife some good quality gear even though she rarely rides with me.

As much as it would hurt me to have road rash, it would hurt me even worse if the Mrs. had to go through that.

Thanks again, great article.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
She is absolutely right and I have seen those riders out there constantly without proper gear or the rider is geared up and passenger is next to naked. Having survived a head on collision without so much as a scratch ( yes there will be bruising) is a testament to staying geared up..my simpson helmet and hondaline leathers and fox racing gloves and roadracing boots all did their job and all were trashed in the 120' slide down the highway after going over the top of a full sized Ford car. I since have always had the mindset that it is much easier to cool off on a hot day than to spend the summer or longer growing new SKIN :yikes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I went down on the nine on June 17, 2006. Beautiful day around noon. Myself and a friend were approximately 2 miles from my house. I live in AZ, and it was 115 degrees this day. I hit a patch of gravel at approximately 65 MPH while accelerating. I counter steered twice but the beast would not cooperate on this day. I have been riding for 21 years so I thought I could save it, this was not my day. On this day I was wearing my helmet, long sleeve t-shirt with short sleeve underneath, jeans boots, and no gloves. I hit some gravel and went down at approximately 55 MPH. I pushed off the bike when I knew all was lost. I got into the curl position while still in the air. I hit the ground on my left hip, then rolled up onto my left shoulder. Ended my skid looking at the sky holding onto my legs in the curled position. I slid approximately 130 feet. My hip was badly bruised but not broken, my hands were all torn up, with my right index finger abraded down to the bone, and my left shoulder was shredded badly. I jumped up and took my helmet off and tried to walk it off. I made it to the side of the road with cars passing by. NO ONE STOPPED!!! It was unbelievable. My friend was riding in front at the time so he circled back and picked my bike up off the road. As a true rider would do I rode home with blood pouring out of my shoulder and hands. The bike although sustaining $ 3600.00 in damage made it home OK. I am healed now and was back on the bike in less than one month after the repairs were completed. I will never ride with out gear again, I would have probably been fine except for the bruise on my hip. Live and learn. I think I may have gotten the only silver bullet proof 109. I have over 2500 miles, and the bike never had the oil overfill, and no anti-freeze leak, no clutch problems or any problems at all besides the SET squeal. And after the bike took the spill it did it still runs like the day it was new. So much for the 109 being cheaply built. Any way wear your gear fellow girls and boys, you never know when its going to happen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts