M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding today for a bit so I could get some time in before the rain they are calling for.

I went down a road close to home that crosses a hill and switchbacks up the one side, which is always fun to drag the pegs through.

Well, there had been a roadwork crew on that road for the past few days and I was not sure why as it was freshly paved this spring.

So I come to a tight left turn and there is not much of a shoulder and no oncoming traffic, so I take a line that runs right against the yellow line.

My left peg is down well before I get to the yellow line, but as I get right up to the yellow line, I hear a grinding CLUNK and the bike jerks quite harshly.

Well, now the purpose of the recent road crew is obvious. They were grinding divots along the yellow line to act as a rumble strip for people crossing the yellow.

Divots on tires may make an alerting rumble, but those same divots on your pegs can give you a shot of adrenalin.:confused:

I will be taking a little wider line on that corner from now on.:bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I completely agree, bro. Two quick stories:

1) Dragging left peg into a turn and hit a "cat eye".....sheared off my left foot peg.

2) Dragging right pet into a sweeper.......dead squirrel was in my line.....impaled it. The carcass was stuck on my feeler and it slung "junk" all over the side of my bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I completely agree, bro. Two quick stories:

1) Dragging left peg into a turn and hit a "cat eye".....sheared off my left foot peg.

2) Dragging right pet into a sweeper.......dead squirrel was in my line.....impaled it. The carcass was stuck on my feeler and it slung "junk" all over the side of my bike.
It sounds like you don't have much luck on the whole dragging peg thing. But the squirrel is priceless

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
I KNEW someone would post this. I had the picture uploaded to some hosting site but my "trial membership" has expired and the pic is gone.

I will search my computer and see if I can find the pic....it is only of the crap on my bike. I kicked the carcass off while riding so I don't have a pic of it but Lonewolf was behind me and saw it all....I have a witness. :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
643 Posts
SR,

glad ya kept your cool and the bike under control , i think adrenaline might be an understatement

ya didn't rip your seat when ur back side puckered up did ya?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Pretty inconsiderate of that highway crew to grind those things where we want to drag

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
23,141 Posts
Similar experience here earlier this summer, but from road damage. A truck carrying a load of steel wrecked in a curve and the steel dug a lot of trenches in the road. It's one of those broad sweepers that it seems like you hang in for almost a full circle. I was hanging in pretty good when my left peg attempted to make acquaintances with one of the trenches. It was just a quick jerk and bump, but it was really unsettling since it was in the dark as well. And my pegs don't have feelers so the first thing that would go is the entire peg.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
There's no way someone can drag theses pegs :eek::joke:
For me....never across the center line and good road conditions only:bigthumbsup:
Are those your pants I saw hangin' on the telephone wire? I think they were on fire!

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
SR,

glad ya kept your cool and the bike under control , i think adrenaline might be an understatement

ya didn't rip your seat when ur back side puckered up did ya?
I do not think I was really at risk of losing control of the bike. Most to the 'jerk' was my impression as the peg sprang up and launched my foot with it. So, it was more of a quick adrenaline poke then a puckered rear.8)

Even more inconsiderate are those cagers that need to drive by braile.
Now that is funny:a18:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I do not think I was really at risk of losing control of the bike. Most to the 'jerk' was my impression as the peg sprang up and launched my foot with it. So, it was more of a quick adrenaline poke then a puckered rear.8)
ahhhh i got ya , i read " jerked quite harshly" as it disrupted your momentum and shifted your lean towards vertical unexpectedly :dontknow: thats not what ya said but for some reason thats what i pictured :dontknow: possibly cause i had just watched the deer impact video?

either way ya didn't panic and kept your cool as a seasoned rider & it all worked out and we're glad you & your ride are no worse for the experience

1 - 20 of 26 Posts