M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well most of you would not know I build some pretty nutty Porsche motors after the screw up. I can't wait for the masses to come out with a set of pipes I like so I thought I would take Father's Day with my boys and cut away. I used a 3 inch hole saw and went through the top pipe and pulled the baffle. No problem. Had it out in 10 minutes. I look in where the upper edge of the oval is and realize that the 3 inch hole saw cut right through the damn pipe to the packing. The edge where the baffle is welded is a raised section and meets the outer and inner skins together. I suspect these are stamped form the factory then welded closed. So now I have a 1/4 inch gap on one side and a slit on the bottom. Whether or not I can tig it back to health is debatable. I will probably find a set of used piped and do the mod again. Start small and make sure you drill straight in and then use a die grinder and clean the welds up. If you try to flatten the pipe to make it look smooth from the front to the back you will end up like my pipe. :realmad:

The bottom one was a no brainer.

The cool part of doing this in the driveway and not my shop is I had two people literally stop and park in the middle of the street to come up and see what kind of bike I had. Don't see my HD getting that.

The mod is worth it...it sounds great and still looks like it should...Anyone have a set of stockers for sale??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, I will do it in the morning. You can't notice it unless you are looking in there, but I suspect that it will pose a problem with moister in the packing and open cavity. Man, I feel like a moron. How in the hell did I miss this? I just got the bike last Thurs. My wife just laughed and said you can't leave anything alone can you

·
Registered
600 Posts
...Anyone have a set of stockers for sale??

Check the "classified" section on the forum. I saw a set for sale there. Not sure if they're still available.

G

·
Almost did the same to mine. Just lucky I guess. It was the second set we did that night and that happened to the first. :redfaced:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I guess I will pull it off and try to tig it ever so gently. Hopefully this works otherwise I will be re-chroming it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts