M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I didn't make it to winter :verymad: I was so sure I'd make it but then I decided to ride to work after the first major rain. See with the traffic in Washington it takes me 2 hr's to go 20miles and there is this HUGE carpool lane just sitting there. Well I figured my second day at work I'd give it a try its fast and I'd be to work in 40min tops. I get on my bike and since it was so cold I put on EVERY piece of protective gear I can find in my bag and head to the gym, its foggy I'm still freezing but I still have the heated seat and gloves. I head to the gym do my leg workout and my cardio and am back on the road. I get all the way to Belleview in one piece (I'd been cut off about 100 times during my 20 mile freeway ride, people like to jump out into the carpool lane without signaling and I think my bike must have been blending in with the fog because NO ONE seem to see me coming( it was the :yikes: look in the rear view mirror every time :verymad:) but the roads where dry so it wasn't hard to stop. I get off the freeway onto a side street 2 lanes 40mph (no sides so like a moron I take the inside lane). I'm watching the people in front of me and fail to notice the woman beside me doesn't know I'm there and moves right in front of me (I'm talking inches) she starts to pull away then she slams on the breaks. Its over I'm going 40mph (maybe more like 35mph at this time) and I'm still inches from her. (go through the window or lie down and play dead.) I pick play dead, completely boxed in I was at the inside lane (with the curb that my bike couldn't clear and the outside lane had a car) instinct told me to gun it but my eyes and mind didn't agree with my instinct ::) front tire had lost all traction and the back tire was at the wall coming around the front of the bike. I must say it happened in slow motion (it wasn't but everything did seem to slow down around me) all in one second I realized at my level of riding I only had one real option and that was to put the bike down before she got sideways on me (reason for this is I wanted to keep her in one lane and I wasn't sure she would if I allowed the bike to go sideways. Since I didn't want to come off the bike in rush hr and I new the bike covers my body completely I dropped my hip and brought the bike down on the left side then road the slide through. That is until I hit the lady then my elbow dropped and took me off my bike :realmad:. Sad thing is the lady didn't stop (however since she didn't know I was there and when I hit her I was on the ground I'm sure she thought it was her imagination. :hot: ) After I stopped sliding I ran back and picked up my tank bag and went back to my bike then just stood there. See I'd worked legs that morning and I couldn't even squat my own weight if my life depended on it. So I just stood there wishing my bike would lift itself. (it didn't but that wasn't from a lack of wishing :joke: ) After about 5 min and 150 cars that just drove around my sorry butt sitting in the middle of the road, 2 guys pull up and ask if I was all right and if they can help :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: I ask them if they could right the bike, and told them I was fine but there is no way I'm getting that bike off the ground. (they both get out of there truck and lift the bike back up :D :D (dang my hero's) then I ride to the gas station take off the turn signals, take out my 1st aid kit and put a HUGE gauze bandage on the tank and the light (I added red marker for effect) :joke:.

Ok so now I understand, if I want my sinuses cleared really fast all I have to do is drop the bike going 40mph (the after effect is a bit of a headache) Also I think I'll get a smaller bike for rush hr with really soft tires and lots of clearance (I have a feeling I'll need to get on the sidewalks). (still looking for a cheap bike I don't mind wrecking.)

On the good side, my shifter is exactly where I want it now :D and now that my tanks messed up I can practice my bondo and painting skills on it :D (I'll get a new tank but since I'll have an extra, I can really have some fun) . Another good thing... this is the first time I've ever taken down a bike and not been run over :bigthumbsup: so this wasn't bad at all!!!! Every time I'm at the track and go down I tend to get run over by 5 or 6 people before I have a chance to stand up, it hurts like hell. Now since I'm waiting on new parts I'm back in the parking lot, this time I've taken off most of the plastic that survived and put on a home made crash bar. I'm working on a way to get out of a slide when I'm really boxed in (if anyone has a trick please let me know, I've been working on a few things but I'm still dumping the bike more then its upright) And the best thing is the bike is still in working order (don't worry about the parking lot I'm going slow until I can figure out a good way to get out of a slide)

Just thought I'd share, also this is the 3rd time I've had a front tire slide with my new tire so it looks like I'm going to be getting a softer tire, I have no intention of going down again. ::) On a side note I did think it was going to hurt much worse then it did, I didn’t even throw-up in my helmet!!!!(I tend to do this in extreme pain, I don’t scream or cry just throw-up) I was very lucky!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O silentrider just in case you reply, yes I took the msr course and hired a instructor to give me private lessons to cover the more advanced stuff on the 109.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW.... glad to hear you made it out okay... that MSF has saved me once or twice in the last week too....

·
Registered
974 Posts
Damn glad to hear you made it out ok. Sorry to hear about your bike that really sucks but you are taking it pretty well i think id cry then drink then cry some more. What front tire are you using?

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Man what a drag. :verymad: Sounds like it wasn't your fault, it would have been nice if someone got the plate number of the gal. :verymad: Glad your okay and didn't hurt your sence of humor. :doorag: The bike can be fixed, at least your alive to tell the story (and a fine job you did of it) :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Glad you weren't hurt worse. You make me glad I'm not in Washington. Is this DC or State?

Remember (don't think you said if you were or weren't wearing helmet, or maybe you did and I missed it) that a helmet in any type of impact needs to be replaced...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Make sure add to the " Why we love Firecat" list....tough as nails. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
That's all you can do is best pre-pair your self, Crap happens to all of us!!!
Glad your O,K and the Bike is repairable!

If I couldn't stop for some unforeseen reason I to would Low-side her also, if it makes you fill anybetter :bigthumbsup:

The reason i ask In the other post if the guy had taken the MSF course was because they tell you First thing to watch intersections and give your self plenty of room Drive on the side of the road that gives you the most visability!!!

sounds like to me the guy was either following to close or not Paying attention IMHO
BUT I never rule out CRAP HAPPENS cause it has to me several times!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
And for the Record !!! I have been very proud of you and your riding ability for such a small Gal I have your raceing pictures in my photo section and even made a point to show my girl you Racing!  sorry if i Hit a Nerve with the other post,but people not using good judgement reflects on all bikers in one way or another,and i get protective of my rights to ride!
Later Silentrider

ALL YOU COULD DO WAS LAY IT DOWN FROM WHAT I READ,NOBODY COULD HAVE DONE IT BETTER!
GOOD JUGDEMENT AND GREAT CALL ON YOUR PART :bigthumbsup:

"I LOVE A WOMAN IN CONTROL" :evil:

·
Registered
330 Posts
man glad you are ok firecat. quick thinking on your part. hope you can get your bike up and going again. and for the most part....tough as nails woman...glad you are ok.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Riveting.... Glad you made it out ok. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
only thing you can do in the future is be paranoid and that comes with years of experience. you will start to get itchy feelings when cars move into your escape routes and you become hyper alert. and if you get boxed in and cant do a thing slow down and beep that horn so eveyone knows your there. oh and i know you wont like this but its never safe to ride in commute traffic. i wont do it ever. those people DO NOT care about you at all. they just want to get to work as fast as humanly possible and will Deliberately cut you off to do it. yes even if they see you

you did nothing wrong but after these type of escapes with your health intact you will become a motorcycle jedi master of paranoia.

next time that happens carry a dirty harry magnum handgun and shoot her tires out as she drives away!

just kidding on the last part

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Bad luck Heather..Like everyone else here I'm really pleased that you weren't injured. Hope bike fix isn't too costly and we see you back and shiney soon!

·
Registered
476 Posts
WOW! :eek: :eek: glad you are ok, bikes can be fixed or replaced, great little women can't. Your post name fits you to a T, but please be carefull, even cats only have 9 lives and I think you just used up one....going down in rush hour traffic, my god it is a wonder you aren't washing goodyear footprints off you ...from about a dozen cars. Really glad you are ok again, be safe and watch out for those other idiots we want you around for a long time to come :eek:

·
Registered
411 Posts
What a bummer young lady :redfaced: but with your Kick a$$ and take names attitude, you´ll do alright. I am really glad to hear that the only one with minor damages is the bike. I think if I had to get to work like you do (described) I would buy me a Hummer that way I could play demolition derby with all those non driving :edit:.... Well Colorado is not much different then Germany in the winter so by the time the really decent weather is back I am sure your 109 will be looking choice and ready to go :bigthumbsup: Take care of yourself and be careful. Lots and Lots of fools out there on the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Glad to hear you had your gear on and it sounds like it protected you. Metal / Plastic can always be replaced. As many have already said, it seems like you did everything you could have done. My heart was racing as I read your story. Glad that you are ok.

·
Registered
890 Posts
OMG!!!

FireCat I'm glad you got through that ok...sorry about the bike. If you get around to pics before you fix'er up post them I know I'm not the only one wanting to see the extent of the mishap.
You take care of yourself and try not to scare us into OLD AGE woman!

Devilish

·
Very Active Member
5,784 Posts
whoa scary. Glad you're ok. Commuting on a bike sucks. It's about the only time i get to ride though and at least traffic is not to bad here. If i still lived in houston, i don't think you could pay me enough to do it.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Dang Heather, I'm glad to hear you're ok. So, are you saying that you are now intentionally sliding the 109 in a parking lot to see how to recover it? Dumping it in the process? I've heard that once you get the first scratch, it makes you worry less about the bike, but dang... Going a bit far there aren't ya? ;) Gonna post some pics of the bike and your homemade crash bars?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts