M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had many people give me many different opinions but I wanted to hear what you guys do. I was told many years ago when I got my first bike that when it came time to clean the bike, you wipe the bike not wash it… Meaning the water would get into the electronics of the bike and eventually break things down.
So, do you guys wash or wipe?
I lightly wash just to loosen the dirt up I don't soak the bike. After I'm done I actually use a leaf blower to dry her off...
Opinions?

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
Wipe

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,869 Posts
I usually wipe mine down with Windex on the chrome and a detailer on the paint, but I've also washed it. I've had it in a couple good rains that left too much dirt on it to just wipe it off. Never had a problem with anything on it by washing it or riding it in the rain either. I wouldn't use a pressure washer on it.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wash it once a week and I use car soap "Zip Wax", and I wash it like I'm washing a car, then dry it off. Like you, I use a electric leaf blower, that I only use for drying my 4 street bikes and two Quads. Works great, bikes, like cars and trucks are made to get wet, but not sumurged under water of course. PS, I wax the bikes all the time......... bling bling needs to shine!.......... NO PRESSURE WASHING

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Power wash all winter long. Salt and sand. Got to keep the salt off the bike. No problems YET.

Dave

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The only time my 9 gets full blown wash (with a bucket of suds and a hose) is if I got caught riding in the rain. On all other occastions I just use a bucket of water and micro fiber cloths. One I dip in the bucket a wring out, another for drying.....works like champ! :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
No hose for my bike! Like Zoom, I only put the water to my bike after getting caught in the bad rain which has been twice since 2007. If you use the right products and methods, you will do no damage to your paint not using water.

·
Registered
159 Posts
wipe - I have only put water on the wing 2 or3 times in 8 years. Use this
I bought a can of this at the local honda dealer. A lot of guys that I know that ride swears by this stuff. I have to say that it works pretty damn good. I only use soap and water to clean my wheels, everything else gets the spray.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
wipe. never washed any of my bikes. i use pro honda spray polish. works great on paint, chrome, and everything else. does a great job of removing the bug and tar off the bike also.

after a ride, let your bike cool down, and 10-15 minutes is all it takes even with a ton of chrome.

here is the link to it at DLP:
http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=8279&str=290

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I get mud here and wiping will scratch bad.
I spray 50/50 water and Simple green, wait a few then rinse CAREFULLY.
Blower!
I try to just wipe down as much as possible.
Too much water can foul electrical functions, my Fi1200r is touchy that way

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Wash all the time here. I use a good quality car wash solution and microfiber loose mit. I actually will wash the bike twice and then take my leaf blower and remove ALL the water off the bike. I actually spend more time drying than washing.

Certainly spend more time with the L/B on the bike ... than in the yard.:D

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I think this is a judgement call. There may be occassions when you need to give a good wash when you have mud, grime, bugs, etc. and then there are times when all you need is a good wipe down.

I usually wipe down with a damp cloth and then another wipe down with Maguires cleaner/wax and shine the chrome with Windex.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I think this is a judgement call. There may be occassions when you need to give a good wash when you have mud, grime, bugs, etc. and then there are times when all you need is a good wipe down.

I usually wipe down with a damp cloth and then another wipe down with Maguires cleaner/wax and shine the chrome with Windex.
:agree:100%. However, I prefer the Lucas Quick Mist spray along with the use of a microfiber cloth to wipe the bike down and keep it showroom ready. It is the best thing I have ever used. You can use it on every square inch of the bike...including all of your chrome pieces for a real showroom finish.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I'm a bad ass and use a power washer (from a distance) on my bike to just get it wet. I don't spray into the electronics or radiator. Once it's wet i wipe it down with micro fibre cloths and then use a detailing spray to finish up. Looks great and never had a problem with gettin the bike wet. It's designed to be worthy of riding in heavy rain so it won't break if it gets wet!

Just remember to ride more often then you wash your bike otherwise your just another Harley rider!!

·
Registered
106 Posts
i always power wash

Sorry i always power wash before i rub anything, and a synthetic chammios, and i do not have any polishing scratches, and still looks like it just came out of the crate, i learned my lesson with other vehicles, to much TLC by polishing no matter what you use will create polishing scratches, the less contact the better. After a ride i go to the car wash and blast the bugs off then go home. If my bike is to delicate to take a wash then it would probably leave my stranded on the side of the rode everytime you rode in the rain.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts