M109 Rider Forums banner

My M109R was......

1 - 20 of 359 Posts

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just trying to get an idea of the presentage of bikes that were delivered with too much oil. Sure seems like a lot. ::)

When checking the oil in your M109R you need to run the bike for 15 min. and then let set for 3 min. Then hold the bike level and remove the dipstick, clean off the oil and them put the dipstick in the crankcase without screwing it back in and then check your oil level. This is the procedure that is recommended by Suzuki in the owners manual on page 7-15

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine was just right from the dealer. My dealer is exceptional, though. I have to say I have never seen such a level of attention to detail and customer satisfaction - be it at car, bike or other dealer. Not too bad, considering the small customer base around here. 'Course the dealership was just sold to a new guy... so here's hoping that doesn't change.

J

·
Registered
176 Posts
This does seem to be a big issue so I'm glad you're tracking it and hopefully Suzuki is watching. My sales rep just told me that this type of thing happens often with new bikes. He told the service manager so again hope they get the meesage. Unlike others I didn't get anything from the dealship regarding this as I went through the sales guy. I am planning on talking with the owner/manager as soon as I can get back into the dealship (not till next week). Also I just changed out my oil (using the new Castor Oil for V-Twins and K&N filter recommended on this web site from our brothers. I only have 200 miles on the bike as I haven't gotten to really ride it on any trips yet. I'll keep you posted on anything I find out.

Thanks again for this great board and the amount of time you all spend helping us out.

Took my wife for a couple of trips over the weekend and everywhere we stopped people and bikers wanted to know about the bike. This added about 30 minutes to every stop so she wasn't to happy about the delays (she just wanted to ride!) I told her this will pass as the bike gets out there.

Thanks again :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
67 Posts
My dealer found out the hard way. They built a Silver M109 before mine, over filled it. They then called Suzuki and found out the correct way to fill/check the oil level. You'd think that by now Szuki would have sent a big fat warning memo to every dealer. By the time I picked up my black M109, they knew about the oil. (April 29th)

·
Registered
817 Posts
Austin109 said:
This does seem to be a big issue so I'm glad you're tracking it and hopefully Suzuki is watching.
I wouldn't count on that. VolusiaRiders.com has been up going on 5 years now, and Suzuki doesn't even acknowledge its existence. That's their best selling bike, too.

To be fair, I've yet to see an actual representative from any bike manufacturer actively participate on any user board. Of course, I haven't been to all of them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
When I picked up my bike I asked the dealer twice if they knew about the oil over-filling problem and if they knew the correct procedure and the dealer assured me that they did and the oil level was correct. After about 10 miles of riding I stopped to fill 'er up and guess what, the bike was puking oil. Very disappointing. :verymad:

·
Registered
908 Posts
Mine was perfect. Have a very good service department at my dealer's. Been using them for the last 5 years with my 1400.

:D :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
I had 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart overfilled. Even after I warned them that there was a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Mine was perfect. My dealer sent most of his crew to Suzuki for some training on this bike. Additionally the owner himself oversees the service dept. He really cares about doing the right thing.

·
M109Riders Founder
8,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
taijiman said:
Mine was perfect. My dealer sent most of his crew to Suzuki for some training on this bike. Additionally the owner himself oversees the service dept. He really cares about doing the right thing.
Well my service guy went to school for my bike too and that didn't help much, he didn't even clean the airbox out after I asked them to. :realmad:

·
Registered
129 Posts
The next day after taking delivery, I checked the level cold, and got right on the phone, telling them it's UNDERFILLED.
They said, "No it's not, and don't add any". I must admit, they knew better. Glad I listened to them. Sure enough, after warming it up fully, it was perfect. That was back on March 1st. Before the overfill problem was an issue.
They're not off the hook though. I still think about 1/3 of the guys working at dealerships are morons. :joke:
That would logically fall within the 31 % on the poll above.

·
Registered
93 Posts
mine was overfilled , puked oil all over the wifes left leg , wind blew it back I guess and she was not a happy camper at all !! Dealer made it good though , stood right by the service manager and made sure the whole bike was cleaned . also threw in some goodies to make me happy .

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
wow...that's a lot of screwed up dealers out there. reinforces my belief in doing my own maintenance, even though i'm new at it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine was good. I didnt join this site until a month and a half after i bought the bike and did not here of any oil problem until i joined the site. I never had any problems with it

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
well mine was filled right due to one the guy who did it me and him been dealing with each other for about 20 years and 2 i was watching him do it while i was there and re checked it after he was done..........too me it is really sad that you pay all that money and expected for it to be right and the ones who surpose to have it right mess it up... for me that would make it very hard to trust them after words but that is just me everyone is intitle to make mistakes as long as they learn from them and dont make the same one twice. :D

G

·
Mine 2 was overfilled,even after I'd had warned them a week early ...and then they drained it,,refilled it and I checked it at home,,underfilled by 1/2 quart....after the first service,,,same thing underfilled by 1/2 quart..seems they were screwing the stick in to check it...duh!..... :eek:

1 - 20 of 359 Posts