M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a machinist with 35 years of experience. My motto is '' If you can dream it ,I can make it . Anything is possible -the impossible takes a little longer.'' Any way back to this post . After carefully measuring the swing arm gap , I decided to put a 300 metzler tire on a widen stock m109r wheel done by KOSMAN SPECIALITIES WHEEL (in WINDSOR CALIFORNIA) because my aluminum welding skills are not perfect.I am doing the swing arm notching my self .DLP used to sell ( NOT ANY MORE )a replicator 10 inch wheel with a special offset hub(meaning the hub brought the wheel closer to the drive shaft side so it could fit on their special wide swing arm for the nine.DLP price to have a 300 wide azz in the back-$1000 for the swing arm in black -$1200 in chome. When you bought the 10 inch replicator wheel,was $1300 with the polished with hub, you had to buy the 300 metzler from them at $300 for the tire. So total DLP price-$2600, shipping was free. I just got my 10 and a half inch wide wheel back from KOSMAN with a total of $900. Bought a stock wheel from a member here at $250 with forty for shipping .The KOSMAN widening cost $575 with $35 shipping (to and from).The only thing I did not like was that KOSMAN left the weld puddle on the inside of the wheel that I need to polish out before sending the wheel out to chome. So was the $900 dollars and forty hours (notching the swing arm and polishing out inside weld puddle) worth it ?Attaching pictures of wheel to get you opinion.

·
Registered
743 Posts
How much life insurance do you have? Sorry bro not trying to be negative, but you are altering two major components of the bike to save money. Please be careful.....the look is not worth your life.

Ride safe bro!!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
Has there ever been any problem with their rims coming apart ???

i would say if you were planning to powder coat the wheel, then its worth it. If not then just buy after market wheels.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Widened wheel.

ML76.Bro.I too don't want to sound negative,but I would have spent the extra $400 on a Replicator wheel.Surely these are still out there to be had.Sometimes it just isn't worth saving those few dollars.Did you check with your insurance(if you have cover)company to see if you would still be covered in the event of an accident?Hope all goes well with your conversion.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
430 Posts
See... I didn't think they did that... the weld puddle thing...

I called them.... spoke to Sandy... and I asked him SPECIFICALLY... will there be a visible weld bead from the VISIBLE side of the rim once the tire is mounted and the whole thing is back on the bike... he said NO... because if he had said yes, I would have been like "No thanks... I'll stick with my 8.5/250 set up...

But now, to see your pictures, especially these pics below... I'm thinking wheel widening is NOT for me...

You just saved me $900+ bucks. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I had my wheel widened and had no problems with it at all the ones that had issues with widen wheels had hit pot holes and damaged them that way so a stock or built wheel would have probly had the same problem in my opinion. I notched out my own swing arm as well and it works great I do not understand why everyone is so against notching the stock swing arm and welding it up all our bike have welds all over them. YES you should be a GOOD Alum. welder and certified would even be better to do it which I am once the swingarm is welded they are as strong if not stronger than stock.

leaveing the weld showing is cool if you ask me I would concider leaveing the weld show as i think a nice bead (weld) like those you have there would look kick A$$ left alone, the only issue I have is if I read your thread right you had it widened out to 10 1/2" this is going to be a BIG ISSUE we only have room for a 10" wheel that extra 1/2" is going to be a problem for you in my opinion.

I SAY CROME IT LEAVE THE WELD ALONE!! I think that would look sick!! jmho :bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
:pop:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,877 Posts
Do a search for Dam Guy and how he did his swingarm. He modified his stock one and reinforced it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
should have paid the extra i believe 60 bucks and they would get rid of the welds i spend 650 on my wheel and love it no problems at all

·
Registered
21 Posts
:agree: i think the bead looks pretty sick and ya as long as the weld was done right it shouldn't be a problem good luck hope it works out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts