M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post here, already a great forum Lamonster!

Last weekend I was able to test drive both a 2006 Warrior and the M109r.  These test dirves were my first on a cruiser.

37 years old, 6'0" 200#, sprotbike background, agressive riding, track days

First up was the M109r.  WIDE handlebars, big tank, big tire....wow.  Shifting into first went CLUNK.  released the clutch and off I went.   Bike oozes torque,  throttle response is grabby in first gear, shifting up to second tames this. 

Impressions: 

"+"   comfy seat, nice feeling bars, intoxicating power, instant power.  Sound is nice, not too wimpy, and not over the top.  Vibrations were minor.  Roll on acceleration left me giggling  like a school girl in my helmet.  Riding a cruiser is completely different event from hopping on a sportbike.  Riding this cruiser is a state of mind.  The ride position allows you to relax, look around, smile.  Crack the throttle this bike feels like someone kicked you in the a$$.  Handling was very nice. Start into a corner and it holds a line very nice. Low speed manuevering took some attention, this is not your aunts Honda Civic.

"-"   I hit neutral twice shifting from 1st to 2nd.  After doing this the second time, I made a mental note pick up my skirt when I shifted.  This bike needs to be shifted positively, not timidly.  Very clunky shifting, but I can live with it. 

ON to the Warrior.   At this point, the Warrior test ride was tainted.  I really like the looks of the M109r over the Warrior.  Not crazy about the headlight and rear fender of the Yamaha.  and that bazooka exhaust?? Straddling the Warrior, it felt smaller right off, not in a bad way just different. 

"+"   THe warrior is definitely more refined.  Smoother shifting, tighter feeling.  Handling was better due to less weight and a smaller rear tire.  Power delivery was nice.

"-"  Did I mention that exhaust? FUGLY.  The seat cut into my legs right where it joins the gas tank.  It seems to vibrate more,  this is not a bad thing, just noticable.  Power/torque can't touch the M109r. 

I could see either bike in my garage.  Both are great rides.  I just prefer a bike that scares me a little.  I would have to change out the exhaust, headlight and massage the rear fender on the Warrior to get it to the level of styling of the Suzuki.  Then I would have to juice the motor to achieve the giggle factor.

In the end the M109r won out.  I put a down payment on a Black one, picking it up SAT :hot: :hot:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Only difference between you and I is our age - I'm 41. What brought you to the cruiser fold? It was the M109R that finally pulled me in, although I have been interested for a while, perhaps starting with the Warrior. Japan has finally figured out that they can make super-cool cruisers if they do what they do, and not do what Willie does. One thing I noticed is that the bike handles in a fun way, and the power is awsome - all without really having to seriously exceed the speed limit. I've owned almost every sportbike made and with the last one, the ZX-10R, I noticed that it simply took too much speed to make it fun on the street. I bought a Buell too a couple years ago, and this partially solved this problem, but a cruiser simply aleviates the entire problem. I determined that any bike is fun when it is in it's element. The ZX-10R is in it's element at the track and the M109R is in it's element on the street - end of story! And I didn't have to give up the exhiliration of litrebike acceleration, it's just that all the fun is available under 100MPH.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
These were the two bikes I was trying to decide between as well. I actually went to a Suzuki dealer where a buddy works to see what they had. I was sold on the warrior, that is until I laid eyes on the 109! WOW! Never seen a bike like this before. It's gonna turn heads and get attention all the time!! It's different styling than anything else out there. Can't wait for the bank approval so I can pick mine up!

·
Radio Active Member
27,668 Posts
Congratulations! I looked at the warrior as well, but knocked it out because it seemed tinie and the fit and finish was not that great. And did I mention the bazooka at the end of the exhaust. I was between the M109R and the Hammer. I have no regrets buying the M109R. You will love your new bike.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same here i went to the dealer to trade in my vtx for a warrior.. walked through the door with only a warrior on my mind.. made it down the isle and, wow what is that the monstrous 240 catching my attention... needlees to say never made it to the warriors!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
When I went shopping..I had an 06 VTX 1800 F 3 spec in mind , the Warrior and I've only heard of the M109 but never seen one up close. My dealers had silver in stock as one of them had just sold the a black one 2 weeks ago.

By the way it's sitting on the side of the shop waiting for parts cause it was WRECKED by the owners friend who didn't have experience at all riding a bike.
The rims which were bent badly (surprisingly not cracked) were said to be about 1,200 bucks to replace. I'm gonna try to get pics of it...it's really sad to see.
Tank is tore up, handlebars ....on and on.

Any way My brother has an 05 VTX..I called him up and asked his honest opinion based on his research he made quickly for me...despite price negotiated ($4,700) in difference , he told me if he was buying all over again he'd do an m109 in a heartbeat.

My salesman was pushing me on the warrior...based on his bike he owned, the customization possibilities, he' was a big fan of belt drive...and he loved the girth of that ballactic muffler...which to me was kinda weak.

I know have a silver Suki M109r in my garage with 1 mile on it...shined up with 2 coats of wax , polished up chrome...waiting for a sunny day .

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just got to work after picking up my 109! She's got 40 miles on her and will have another 60 miles if I go straight home after work! I'm sure I'll find a scenic rout to take and she'll have well over 125 miles on her by the time she gets in the garage. Best $12k I've spent!! Cant' wait for after market accessories to add!

·
Registered
936 Posts
the warrior is a beautiful bike, with aftermarket acc. out there to punch this bike to 140 horses, but its not a heavy sport criuser like the 109. i can ride my bike all day and both bikes stock i think the 109 will out run it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts