M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought my bike and the 600 mile service is coming up. The dealer is trying to tell me that if I don't have it serviced by the dealer the warranty is void.

I was hoping to save some money and do it my self.

Let me know what you guys think

·
Registered
381 Posts
I paid the money for 1st service just to avoid any hassel later on.. but it hasn't been back since. Might be worth paying the money but stay there and watch them.. so if alot of metal shavings come out of the oil or rear end you can be sure it is documented.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I paid the money for 1st service just to avoid any hassel later on.. but it hasn't been back since. Might be worth paying the money but stay there and watch them.. so if alot of metal shavings come out of the oil or rear end you can be sure it is documented.
how much did you pay? plus they said it may be there 1 day :doh:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Servicing!

Don't know why this varies so much from country to country.Here in OZ,Suzuki tell us that we can have the bike serviced(during the warranty period)by ANY QUALIFIED MOTOR CYCLE MECHANIC(Cannot do it ourselves) regardless of whether they are a Suzuki dealer or not.BUT--if the bike *****S itself after leaving said premises,then your warranty is out the window.So it's a catch 22 situation.A friend of mine serviced his bike himself from day one of owning the bike,but he has a friend who is an M/C mechanic with his own business,so he got the service book stamped by his mate.Easy as.I myself did take the M to a dealer(found a good one)for piece of mind in case anything did go wrong.The M is now out of warranty,so now all servicing is done in house.Oil and filter done every 3.000K's for less than $AU50.00.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Don't be a cheap azz, and pay the 180.00 that the stealer wants for the first service. That way, you have more to back you up if something goes wrong.

Since my first service, I have done all my work myself. Let them confirm that everything is ok by checking your bike the first time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Don't know why this varies so much from country to country.Here in OZ,Suzuki tell us that we can have the bike serviced(during the warranty period)by ANY QUALIFIED MOTOR CYCLE MECHANIC(Cannot do it ourselves) regardless of whether they are a Suzuki dealer or not.BUT--if the bike *****S itself after leaving said premises,then your warranty is out the window.So it's a catch 22 situation.A friend of mine serviced his bike himself from day one of owning the bike,but he has a friend who is an M/C mechanic with his own business,so he got the service book stamped by his mate.Easy as.I myself did take the M to a dealer(found a good one)for piece of mind in case anything did go wrong.The M is now out of warranty,so now all servicing is done in house.Oil and filter done every 3.000K's for less than $AU50.00.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup::bigthumbsup:
Hey where are u getting it and what type of oil and filter?

·
Registered
743 Posts
i would take it to the dealer you have more of a leg to stand on if something does go wrong

·
Registered
20 Posts
after the dealer did the first oil change I did the 2nd one and used royal purple oil and final drive and a k&n filter :drool:

·
Registered
743 Posts
after the dealer did the first oil change I did the 2nd one and used royal purple oil and final drive and a k&n filter :drool:
i didnt think that they made a k&n filter for the m90 where did you get it from

·
Registered
117 Posts
i would take it to the dealer you have more of a leg to stand on if something does go wrong
:agree: I always take mine to the dealer for service and also for having some mods put on. It may sound expensive to it this way but if something goes wrong you've got some place to come back on.

·
Registered
381 Posts
how much did you pay? plus they said it may be there 1 day :doh:
I think i paid 100$ and it only took them about 1 hr... i made the appt so they pulled it in as soon as i got there and i watched them do the whole thing... also got to bullsh?t with the mechanic for a bit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maintenance/Warranty

If you think you can stay awake for longer than 15 minutes you can read the warranty. It is not pretty...you can do your own service, but you had better keep the receipts. As much as I don't like to, because of pricing, I purchase my K&N and fluids at the dealership so their name is on the receipts. I paid for the 600, $110. I also have the Extended Warranty...the fine print will kill you. The warranty, factory and extended is voided with many of the mods that are commonly listed by riders on this site. My habits of buying what I drive and ride and don't modify what was engineered and produced goes way back to being raised by a mechanic and having worked in dealership service and seeing hundreds of warranty claims denied do to modifications. I will take my motors to an independent mechanic but I always make sure they are, in this case, certified by Suzuki. In the smaller shops they usually don't mind you standing over their shoulder. I really don't like dealer's shops where I can't watch my motor being worked on. Anyone can tell me they checked the fluid levels, brakes, tightened nuts and bolts etc. I just want to see them do it. Ride often and ride safe.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you think you can stay awake for longer than 15 minutes you can read the warranty. It is not pretty...you can do your own service, but you had better keep the receipts. As much as I don't like to, because of pricing, I purchase my K&N and fluids at the dealership so their name is on the receipts. I paid for the 600, $110. I also have the Extended Warranty...the fine print will kill you. The warranty, factory and extended is voided with many of the mods that are commonly listed by riders on this site. My habits of buying what I drive and ride and don't modify what was engineered and produced goes way back to being raised by a mechanic and having worked in dealership service and seeing hundreds of warranty claims denied do to modifications. I will take my motors to an independent mechanic but I always make sure they are, in this case, certified by Suzuki. In the smaller shops they usually don't mind you standing over their shoulder. I really don't like dealer's shops where I can't watch my motor being worked on. Anyone can tell me they checked the fluid levels, brakes, tightened nuts and bolts etc. I just want to see them do it. Ride often and ride safe.
thats well and good but i was told by the dealer when i wanted a warranty claim for the miss i had in the bike that suzuki dont cover timing issues yes i did change the bike but it was documented that i was worried about the miss a week after i brought the bike with no mods it seems they will do little warranty jobs but if you have a major problem suzuki wont lift a finger to help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Warranty

here's one that allows those that modify to fill in the blanks...

"If your vehicle was modified (e.g. aftermarket performance parts or systems, off road equipment)."

According to dealership this includes fuel delivery modifications, exhaust mods, engine mods, etc.

The Suzuki Extended Warranty does not list one item that it does cover but provides a list of 32 things it does not cover...some are very vague and could easily be determined by the warranty provider to not qualify for coverage i.e.

"For repair or replacement of any covered component if a mechanical break down has not occurred."

According to the dealer, again, this has been applied to changing the rear rim so as to accept a tire size not originally designed for the particular vehicle. (I don't have any experience with this on motors, but, in the auto industry this one is used constantly to deny warranty work on 4X4's that have increased the rim and tire size.)

If you attempt to use the warranty coverage, make sure you read the warranty and have everything authorized before a wrench is turned. Most warranties will not cover any repairs over $500.00 without ... "Authorization of the Administrator prior to starting the repairs."

Ride often and ride safe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Warranty

I guess I should have included a very well rehearsed and used line regarding modifications. I have heard it used in both automotive and motorcycle applications in some similiar form.

"It creates a stress, a dysfunctional relationship between the drive train and power transfer to the drive axle that the vehicle was not designed or engineered for."

Another words, the modification "may" have caused the engine, transmission, drive system or electrical system to fail.

What else does the warranty cover that really matters?

Ride often and ride safe...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Servicing.

Spanners.The type of oil filter I am using at the moment is a brand by the name of Power-Flo.(Made in Taiwan)It's a line of filter put out by Putoline Lubricants.This company has been around for a long time in Europe.Do a Google search to research these people,and make a decision based on what you read.I know of a couple of people here in Adelaide who use these filters and they have had no problems with them.Had a look at Babbitts Online,and the filter for the M109R and the M90 have almost identical part numbers.Which are:M109R:16510-03G00-X07. M90:16510-03G00.The Power-Flo filters retail for $12.00AU(from my supplier)but it may vary a bit.The oil I use is Castrol Activ 4T,which cost around $30.00 to $45.00(4Lts) depending on where you buy it from.Found Supercheap the cheapest place to buy the oil.KEZZ.:bigthumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts