M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 109 last weekend, second ride at night and I hit a monster pot-hole on the freeway, just about shook my teeth out, bike kept rolling just fine. Tonight I check over my bike to find the tire pressure in the rear tire about 5psi and upon closer inspection found each side of the rear wheel has a flat spot and is bent. (ohhh noooo!). **After filling the rear tire to 42psi the bike rolls with an ease I have never experienced! If it were not for the difference in the way the bike simply rolls now with the correct tire pressure I wouldn't even think of asking if they could warranty this.

Yes... I absolutely should have checked the tire pressure on the bike my self when I got home the first night (I am a former GSXR rider and figured this thing was hard to roll because of the weight, did not think the dealer PDI would have let something like that go out the door.)

Chicken or the egg question - Did the wheel take to much abuse because of low tire pressure? (possible) or did the pot hole push the air out of the tire? (also possible) I could not say for sure either could have happened but after feeling how the bike rolls with 42psi in the rear tire I do believe this thing left the dealer with low tire pressure - so should they warranty it because a service dept fault?

I have worked in the automotive industry for 15 years now (work for a manufacturer now) and I am pretty sure they will tell me to stuff it "rider abuse". So If any one has some suggestions on how to tactfully try and get this covered, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Not sure you'll be able to get any help with the warranty on this one but if they are going to help you at all you've got to be as calm and cool about it as possible. I work at a dealership and we will work with you and help you as much as we can. That is until you start raising your voice and being unreasonable. Then you're on your own. Just treat them how you'd want to be treated. Good luck and let us know what you find out!!

·
Registered
817 Posts
My guess is they're gonna tell you that "checking tire pressure is the rider's responsibility" blah blah blah. It will be interesting to see what they say.

:pop:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input,
I cant imagine they would even consider warranting my wheel and I do not want to accuse anyone of leaving the tire pressure low (they probably wont take good care of me in the future)

After thinking about this alot last night, I think I will have them perform and inspection and get me an estimate to submit to my insurace company.

Thanks again,

Jason

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back order blues (rear wheel Re: Warranty advise anyone?)

Just to update.....
1. My insurance company has taken care of the situation.
2. New wheel is ordered but part is on national back order :eek: No estimate of when it will be available :(

I have only come across one other thread that talked about damaged wheel(s), has any one else bent these wheels too?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Take that insurance money and put it towards Lamont's 280 kit !! What was the estimate for the rear wheel?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts