M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a thread here somewhere about the fuel line being routed over the frame cross rail. Some guys said they were afraid it would pinch the line, and that they were going to move it to go under the rail instead...

DO NOT DO THIS. Repeat: DO NOT REROUTE THE FUEL LINE IN ANY WAY.

I looked at mine this morning and saw it is very similar to the way the other Boulevards are. When the tank is properly installed, there is no weight placed on this line. The line will NOT pinch the way it is normally routed. It is not a soft rubber hose line like in a carb bike. It is a high-pressure fuel injection line. It is only rubber COATED, but it is hard inside. The line cannot be pinched off.

You may see a little bit of shininess on the outer plastic coil, but that is just a little rub-off from the heat shield.

Unfortunately, I did not know this when I had my last Boulevard and rerouted mine. Because the line is hard, it is form fitted to go exactly one way and one way ONLY. If you route it differently, it will place undue stress on the plastic elbow that attaches to the fuel pump spout. Eventually, the plastic elbow will fail, spraying gasoline under 40 pounds of pressure all over your hot engine. The actually happened to me.

As I was about 300 miles away from home, I had to temporarily replace mine with 9/16" flexible fuel injection hose and two hose clamps to get home.

If you decide to reroute the line anyway, knock yourself out. It's your bike. But, as they say, a word to the wise is sufficient.

~ Lee

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Just a helpful bump for those of you attempting to replace the fuel rail clamps instead of taking it to the stealer for the recall. :read:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts