M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let you know about Black Magic Wheel Cleaner. DO NOT USE IT ON YOUR WHEELS!!!!!!
I had just put my rear wheel back on the bike and noticed axle grease on it so I decided to get some wheel cleaner for the job to make it easier on myself. I had the bike on the lift and began to hose my wheels, forward controls, and handle bar controls with the stuff, (all aluminum). When I was at the store buying the crap I of course read the application list, "Safe for ALL wheels - Chrome, anodized, clearcoated, ALUMINUM, polished,etc....."). Well, after I applied it to my bike I let it set for a few seconds while I turned on the water hose and began to try to hose it off. It ended up staining my mirror polished wheels to a cloudy tarnished look along with every other aluminum part on the bike. Dang, my bike just turned into an EXILE CYCLES CRAP MONSTER! You talk about being PI$$ED! I spent another couple of hours with Mother's Billet Polish trying to get that crap polished off. I got the front wheel done along with the bar and forward controls and even got it off the rear outside rim but I need to take the rear wheel back off to polish the rear wheel completely along with the rear pulley. What a pain in the butt. Next time I'll just stick with my good old bike wash spray.  :yikes::cus: :swear: :realmad: :edit:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Any wheel cleaner will harm a "naked" polished wheel.You have to have a wheel clear coated after polishing if you want it to trully be protected. I dont care what the bottle says.

·
Radio Active Member
27,666 Posts
On my old bike I used scrubbing bubbles and it did a nice job. I would try just a small section first.

·
Registered
64 Posts
OYChoppa said:
Dang, my bike just turned into an EXILE CYCLES CRAP MONSTER!
HEY, I like Exile choppers!

Sorry about your wheels. Contact the manufacture and demand restitution.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Any wheel cleaner will stain a mirror polished wheel..no matter which brand you use. when they say is good for aluminum wheels they dont refer to polished aluminum wheels. Thats why after you used it you have to come back with a wheel polish to get the mirrored look back.
I have polished aluminum wheels on my car and to clean them i just used soapy water or glass cleaner, works great.

I dont think its the manufacturers fault or maybe they should caution against using the product on polished aluminum. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seabee68 said:
Any wheel cleaner will stain a mirror polished wheel..no matter which brand you use. when they say is good for aluminum wheels they dont refer to polished aluminum wheels. Thats why after you used it you have to come back with a wheel polish to get the mirrored look back.
I have polished aluminum wheels on my car and to clean them i just used soapy water or glass cleaner, works great.

I dont think its the manufacturers fault or maybe they should caution against using the product on polished aluminum. My 2 cents.
I've used "Turtle Wax F21 Wheel Cleaner" on my entire bike with no problems. It cleans well, doesn't hurt the chrome, aluminum, or paint and is a lot cheaper than bike wash. That "Black Magic" stuff says, "Safe for ALL wheels" including polished and aluminum. the makers of "black Magic Wheel Cleaner" just flat out lied and definitely suck.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Get a Mothers Power Ball. This will cut your detail time by 2/3. I use a good marine wax on the wheels and the wipe them down with RainX.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Why "dis" the guys who made and make this stuff happen, the custom world that is... for inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Some of those wheel cleaners have strong acid in them....amonia's and other chemicles to cut dirt and grime, the key with that stuff is as soon
as you apply it...you better be quickly taking it off.

I just spray a mild cleaner on a rag and wipe the wheels down...every few rides...I like my rims clean...im still debating on chroming my wheels over the winter
like in November ...I was told about 2 weeks turnaround and 550.00 bucks with the tranny case...they want 25% up front and like for you to bring in your cover
for storage to put the bike in the far corner of the shop.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
69er said:
Why "dis" the guys who made and make this stuff happen, the custom world that is... for inspiration!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was only kidding about the "Exile Crap Monster" bikes. I highly respect true "custom" builders even if I don't like their final outcome of a particular project. I really hold American "import" custom builders at a highter level than regular American custom builders like Exile, Big Bear, OCC, West Coast, etc. just because they're pioneering a totally different kind of bike. So many Jap bikes are completely UNcustomizable because there just aren't many parts out there compaired to the American aftermarket. Also, Jap bikes, in a lot of cases, flat out engineered to be a total pain in the a$$ to customize. I owned a 1997 Suzuki Intruder 1400 once. It was a nice strong bike but talk about a pain in the butt to customize.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts