M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ina previous thread on Corbin seats on this board, the following link was provided where you could order Corbin seats at a 10% discount.

http://www.ccsaddlebags.com/

Since the Corbins are (IMHO) seriously overpriced for what you actually get -- I decided to go for the 10% discount. My seats arrived fairly promptly, boxed on Corbin boxes, with lots of stickers and stuff that would suggest that they are the "real McCoy". However, both the passenger seat and the driver's seat were mis-manufactured, resulting in obvious defects. (The driver's seat cannot be mounted on the bike the way it is -- the back rest cannot be mounted on the rear seat without stripping the leather off the back of the seat.)

I called Corbin on this, and they asked me for my phone #, so they could look me up in their computer. It wasn't in there. I explained to them that I got my seat from a stealer, not from Corbin directly, and had ordered on-line.

He said: "We do not authorize any of our stealers to sell Corbin seats on line -- maybe you got a knock-off of a Corbin seat. Anyway, if you didn't get it directly from us -- we're not responsible.

I told him about all the documentation on the seats suggesting that they were "authentic" -- and he said: "There are a lot of them out there (knockoffs) -- just like Rolexes -- You're goning to have to deal with the guy you got them from."

This "guy" had been very easy to reach prior to my purchase, -- I spoke to him before buying. Now when I call him I get his cell phone voice mail saying "I'll call you back" -- He hasn't. And it's been three days, and I've called him about 5 times.

Possibly he's at Sturgis -- but I just thought you guys out there would want to be aware of this.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I'm almost certain that if he's selling parts as authentic Corbin on the net and they're not, and then he ships them via USPS, UPS or FedEx that it can be considered mail fraud and you can report him for it. Whether he's ignoring you or not I'd still look into that and if you dont get a response from him I'd follow thru on it. Maybe try and get a letter from Corbin stating that they only sell directly and do not authorize 3rd party resale of their products.

Just my opinion.

G

·
This site looks legite, what is the guys name that you dealt with?

Do you have pics of the seat? Top and bottom, back of passenger pad?

·
Registered
572 Posts
G

·
I did a whois lookup on his site, an it appears to legal/legit.

He may be selling Corbins seats online and cannot. Corbin dealers are limited to hard store sales for new products.

But Again. :nopic:

I have two real Corbins and could help but not getting what is nessacary to resolve the problem for this guy.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TAZ: Camera is STILL at the office, but I will pick it up TODAY (Sunday) and post photos.

After I E-mailed you about it, I talked to Corbin and described what my seat looks like. They said (right away): "Yeah, there's supposed to be a plastic clip on the back of the seat that exposes the screw hole for the back rest."

Except for the velcro tab where the back rest support passes through leather, the back edge of my seat is entirely covered with leather -- even that little recessed area where the set screw goes in to hold the backrest post in place.

G

·
There should be 1/2 diameter grommet below the backrest flap.

I will look for the photos, be sure to take pictures of the bottom of the seat also. That will be the tell tale if it is a fake.

TAZ

·
Registered
426 Posts
Let us know, I just ordered a heated seat from the same guy. When I orderd it he said he was headed out on a fishing trip for the weekend. I ordered it on Wed. and he said he was headed out on Thurs., so maybe he'll be back on Monday. I'm gonna' be pissed if I spent way too much $ for a knockoff.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey all,

I ordered the same seat from this place and everything looks just fine with mine. You will have to take the metal peg thing off the stock seat or get new ones so it will clip into the stock holes like the stock seat does. Here is pictures of the boxing and the seat I got from this guy.

I have posted pics on Frappr so you can see. I thought mine was a little funny at first as well, but once I figured out that the seat needs that little metal plate and those metal bar things mounted on there, I think it's legit. However, I spose I could be wrong, because I've never bought a corbin before.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1724092&pid=2536461

Let me know if the link doesn't work, this is the first time I've used frappr as a link. Hope this helps to end the confusion. Now you guys got me worried all over again.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Photos of defective seats done.

You guys are going to have to give me 24 hrs. to figure out how to get these off my camera, onto my computer, and over to the web site. I'm new at this digital imaging stuff :redfaced:-- just have to read the manual, and Lamonster's instructions on how to up-load.

G

·
bconnally1 said:
Hey all,

I ordered the same seat from this place and everything looks just fine with mine. You will have to take the metal peg thing off the stock seat or get new ones so it will clip into the stock holes like the stock seat does. Here is pictures of the boxing and the seat I got from this guy.Â

I have posted pics on Frappr so you can see. I thought mine was a little funny at first as well, but once I figured out that the seat needs that little metal plate and those metal bar things mounted on there, I think it's legit. However, I spose I could be wrong, because I've never bought a corbin before.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=1724092&pid=2536461

Let me know if the link doesn't work, this is the first time I've used frappr as a link. Hope this helps to end the confusion. Now you guys got me worried all over again.
That is a real Corbin, in the instructions they tell you to recover the braket from your stock seat.

Cool deal, you will love it.

TAZ

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Hey Taz, I bought the front seat from Cssaddles as well. I am pretty confident that it is legit, but if you could post a pic of the underside of your seat that would be great. Took a pretty long ride today and the difference from stock was tremendous. Thx Ray

·
Registered
178 Posts
raw_taz said:
That is a real Corbin, in the instructions they tell you to recover the braket from your stock seat.

Cool deal, you will love it.

TAZ
Thanks for the confirmation, :bigthumbsup: I was a tad worried after reading this post, that perhaps my seat was not genuine either.

Even with my bad tire, I took a very short trip around the block yesterday with the new seat even though I have not yet installed that bracket. Man, I could really tell a HUGE difference. I absolutely love it.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
DHandyman said:
I'm almost certain that if he's selling parts as authentic Corbin on the net and they're not, and then he ships them via USPS, UPS or FedEx that it can be considered mail fraud and you can report him for it. Whether he's ignoring you or not I'd still look into that and if you dont get a response from him I'd follow thru on it. Maybe try and get a letter from Corbin stating that they only sell directly and do not authorize 3rd party resale of their products.

Just my opinion.
I just wanted to point something out here. AFAIK, it is only considered "mail fraud" if the item is shipped through the mail, e.g. USPS. UPS & FedEx (or any other carrier) is NOT the mail.

It can still be considered fraud and you may have local or state laws that would deal with it, but mail fraud would not apply unless the item is sent through the mail.

...unless things have changed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
hellrazr72 said:
The red flag to me is that he doesnt show pics of any of the "Corbin" seats he sells on that site.
Maybe he does that because he is not supposed to sell Corbins online, only in a brick & mortar type of a shop. From what I could gather Corbin won't allow their dealers to sell online. I don't know, but I am now sure that what I got from him is authentic. So I don't really think it is a scam.

Perhaps the seat that other fellow, who started this post, got was just a defective one that happened to slip through quality control. That being said, I cannot say anything regarding anyone elses seat, I just know mine is totally awesome and the most comfortable thing I've sat on in a LONG LONG TIME.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I put in a 15 hour day today, and I'm too tired tonight to try to figure out how to post the photos that I took onto this Board. I DID e-mail them to TAZ, and hopefully he can easily post them for me.

What you will see are a couple of (what appear to be) manufacturing defects.

My problem is this: I paid almost a grand for this seat. Now it's not right. Corbin won't stand behind it because I bought it from this stealer in San Diego. 5 days have passed, and I haven't heard back from him.

I want the passenger seat right, because my old lady's been wanting a back rest, and I like to ride with her. Now I'm out a thousand bucks, I don't have a functioning passenger seat (or a driver's seat that I can use without modifying it) -- and the summer is slipping away.

I just thought (since I got the link for this stealer off the M109 Board) that I would pass my experience along to anyone else who might want to reconsider the "discount" Corbins. I'm not saying that it IS a scam -- I just don't know yet. If I had it to do over, I would pay the extra for Corbins from the Corbin site -- then if there was a problem, I could be confident that they'd take care of it.

G

·
You have a real Corbin Tomph, but it does have an issue with the passenger pillion, it needs a access gromet in the back. I emailed you on my thoughts about fixing this.

I would stay away from this vendor, as I understand it he has violated his Dealer agreement with Corbin.

TAZ

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I finally reached Mike today @ Rungees. I have to say, he sounds like a stand-up guy.

HE says the following:

#1. You CAN sell Corbin seats on line -- as long as you also have a brick & mortar store someplace -- you CAN'T sell them on-line EXCLUSIVELY.

#2 He assured me that I have an authentic Corbin seat.

#3. He told me that Corbin WILL exchange the seat for me, but only after HE communicates with them, confirming that I am a legitimate buyer, who got his seat through legitimate channels.

So far, it sounds good. Stay tuned -- "news at 11:00"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts