M109 Rider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for all you very experianced riders you probly came across this at one time or another. Yesterday in the rain I pulled into a shell gas station to get gas, while aproching the center pumps going very slow to stop I hit a patch of oil dry that was wet from the rain so hard to see it was there. yea you guessed it it was oil saturated mud and down I went. Im ok except the left side is pretty sore. the bike got some road rash on the bag but luck the handle bar went to the right as I was trying to save it. oh and the crash bar deffinatly helped. one thing Im concerned about is the bike never shut off. I thought is was supposed to . had to reach up and kill it by hand.
I only have 16,000 miles under my belt and this was a new lesson for me to look out for this stuff in the rain as it is really hard to see. I have always doged it when it is dry but then it is easy to recognize. guess I have alitttle more painting to do this winter.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I hate gravel too

I have a gravel driveway (150+ ft.) and whenever I encounter gravel I seem to slip on it. It's a miracle I haven't dropped my bike yet however, I have pulled multiple leg muscles saving it :eek: - lucky so far!

·
Registered
16,261 Posts
That sucks. I would make the shell station responsible for the damage. After all, it was their negligence!!! You just don't throw that shyt down and leave it!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Absolutely no grip on that oil dry (certainly not when wet).

I had an encounter with some sand on the road last year and almost lost it. There are many dangers out there, those painted lines are like ice when thay are wet and the metal expansion joints in elevated roads are bad too if they are in a curve.

Sorry you droped it and be careful out there.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
That sucks. I would make the shell station responsible for the damage. After all, it was their negligence!!! You just don't throw that shyt down and leave it!!
:agree:They are 100% responsible for what happened to you.
They are responsible to maintain the property and leaving the oil there was a costly mistake. Now, I do not know if you had any witness but I would call the police and file a report. They probably have cameras and the LEO can request to review the "tape". Call their headquarters (gas station) and file a claim.
You'll win! GUARANTEE!

G

·
damn that sucks!

Glad damage was or sounds minimal....good luck on claims work with the station...pretty sure if nothing was "claimed" or done before ya left they won't honor a thing....but either way glad to hear things are better than what they could of been!

·
Seasoned Member
7,635 Posts
Sorry to hear bro. :'( Here's to a speedy recovery and may you get back in the saddle soon. :beer2: Post up on the 4-Sale by Owner board if you need help with parts. :bigthumbsup:

·
Radio Active Member
2007 Candy Sonoma Red
22,865 Posts
I've hit that stuff dry and it's slippery, so I can imagine what it would be when wet. Hope you get well soon and I'm glad the bike didn't suffer too much damage.

The tip over sensor should have shut it off. I just checked the test procedure and it needs to be tilted at 65 degrees or more, which is pretty far over. Maybe it didn't tilt enough with the bags and crash bars catching it to activate the sensor.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
:agree:They are 100% responsible for what happened to you.
They are responsible to maintain the property and leaving the oil there was a costly mistake. Now, I do not know if you had any witness but I would call the police and file a report. They probably have cameras and the LEO can request to review the "tape". Call their headquarters (gas station) and file a claim.
You'll win! GUARANTEE!
All gas stations now have cameras on their pumps for drive offs. I'm sure you were caught.

I'd follow up with that too!
Sorry you went down.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Grass is antoher Bad Surface

Glad to hear your OK Bro! Another bad surface is GRASS (wet or dry) absolutely NO TRACKSION... I had an incident one day at a PopWarner Football game. Turning the bike around on grass to leave the game, hardly giving it any throttle. The rear fatty spun from under me and down it went. No damage was done (thank God). Other than my Pride! Now, when I go on grass, I turn that sucker off, put it in Neutral and Push that Motha!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah I mean any liquid or material that gets in between the road and the bike tire is not good news......wet leaves, gravel, oil, lincoln logs, marbles, banana peels you name it! :joke:

Sorry to hear about this though. I can imagine your side not feeling to good. I have a 150' plus gravel driveway as well and I'm surprised I haven't dropped mine yet.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Yeah I mean any liquid or material that gets in between the road and the bike tire is not good news......wet leaves, gravel, oil, lincoln logs, marbles, banana peels you name it! :joke:

Sorry to hear about this though. I can imagine your side not feeling to good. I have a 150' plus gravel driveway as well and I'm surprised I haven't dropped mine yet.
When you say "Lincoln Logs", I assume you mean the smelly type?:D

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I learned a while back not to use the front brake when "anything" was present on the road surface. I also live down a long gravel driveway and when turning onto it from the paved road I have to keep my hand off the lever.

·
Registered
824 Posts
One thing to remember when in loose surfaces, when your bike moves away from where your going don't lean to turn, just steer it with the handlebars, the leaning is what makes you go down, it's instinct to do that but it will not work in loose sand, gravel etc. 20,000 miles and 2miles in and out every time on a dirt road have taught me this.

G

·
I have a gravel driveway (150+ ft.) and whenever I encounter gravel I seem to slip on it. It's a miracle I haven't dropped my bike yet however, I have pulled multiple leg muscles saving it :eek: - lucky so far!
Lemme guess........$500 K house, ran out of money before the $30k it would cost to pave?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Lemme guess........$500 K house, ran out of money before the $30k it would cost to pave?
I have a 3000ft driveway and I have a house near that range, but it's not my sole responsibility to pay that total amount for the other three houses and more popping up along the driveway. They want to share cost it will get paved, they want me to foot the total bill, as it has been for the last 7 years of gravel, not going to happen. We will deal with the 3" and 1 1/4" gravel. Course they are "entitled" people so I don't think it will happen until I run them out.:bigthumbsup:

G

·
I have a 3000ft driveway and I have a house near that range, but it's not my sole responsibility to pay that total amount for the other three houses and more popping up along the driveway. They want to share cost it will get paved, they want me to foot the total bill, as it has been for the last 7 years of gravel, not going to happen. We will deal with the 3" and 1 1/4" gravel. Course they are "entitled" people so I don't think it will happen until I run them out.:bigthumbsup:
Hey, you got more greenbacks than me. Gravel drives are a risk, I am sure you know that, and would not have the sense to complain if you fell due to your choice.

I was just trying to see how his (apparent) frugality in the face of common sense had anything to do with a guy who, at what I am assuming a reputable fuel station, was injured due to poor maintenance of a paved or concrete-covered surface.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts