M109 Rider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all things, after long looking for a good run with any of our fine bretherin in the HD crowd, out of the blue I had a VStrom 1000 jump me today. I pulled up beside this guy on this nice shiny VStrom at a light out on some open road. Being a nice looking fellow Suzuki rider I was just trying to say howdy when the light turned green and he hammered its. I mean he layed down flat on the tank and just snockered it as hard as he could. Taken by complete surprise he pulled at least 4 bike lengths on me right quickly. However when I caught him in second gear he slowly rolled off of it and faded way back into history as I cruised off by myself. I actually wanted to talk to the guy but he kept slowing and finally I just went on.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Yup! :D You were looki'n for a HD,and he was looking for a "sleeper,at the line". But he should have pulled up at the next light,and given you another "shot at it"

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a friend with a DL1000 (v-strom) and it is no slouch. They run the mid 12's in the quarter with a decent pilot. They are nice bikes but not well suited to straight line racing. I have beat him without much trouble in a drag race, it is a closer race than you might think though. They will destroy you in the corners however.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
J R said:
I don't know why people take the stuff so serious and they cant admire another bike or laugh at themselves or heck even come up with a good excuse and just have fun with it and make new friends.Weird.Win lose or draw I like to talk to people and look at there bikes and hear about them and stuff.I guess most take it way to serious.I think thats the reason you don't see a lot at the track.They DON'T wanna know the truth cause they think there somehow less of a man or something if they lose.I guess no one ever told um in racing theres ALWAYS somebody faster somewhere and everyday ain't gonna be your day to shine.Enjoy the the days that are yours to shine and don't sweat the bad ones have fun with it.After all its supposed to be fun even the occasional street light brawl.The 109 aint really a drag bike its just somthing to have fun with.Now the v-rod guys that have been told a bunch of crap and spent 40 grand and then get beat I can see there frustration........... :p But the internet said.......................... ::) :D
My sentiments exactly. It's all just for fun. I really wanted to talk to the guy but he kept slowing down, and when I got down to about 30mph and he still was not coming up on me I just said to heck with it and went on. I think your assessment was right on JR. He probably was embarassed or hung up in some way and didn't want to show his face. If I were him I would have wanted to line up again and do it right, even if I knew I was going to lose. I'd want to be fair and square about it and also want to know just where my bike stood and learn a thing or two about what I was up against as well. Who gives a dang if your not always the fastest. It's just for fun!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Of all things, after long looking for a good run with any of our fine bretherin in the HD crowd, out of the blue I had a VStrom 1000 jump me today. I pulled up beside this guy on this nice shiny VStrom at a light out on some open road. Being a nice looking fellow Suzuki rider I was just trying to say howdy when the light turned green and he hammered its.

........ just goes to show you, when you pull up to the light, ANYONE, and we mean ANYONE (except the nice policeman)..... is fair game for a shootout,,, from that guy on the hd, to the kid on the CBR, to the blue haired old lady driving the Nova with the stroked motor under the hood..... keep your guard up when your the first at the light and keep it in gear for Christ's sake !!!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
If they try and take you without announcing their intentions in some way, it means they already know what they're up against and are looking for any advantage they can get :confused: It's happened to me a couple of times and I just chalked it up to them giving the M some passive-aggressive Respect :bow:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree, race and be cool about it. There is always gonna be someone faster. I raced a pimped out Honda Civic in my truck the other night. We flew past a cop going way over the speed limit who obviously wasn't paying any attention to us. We both had a nice laugh at the next light over the whole thing. Win or lose just make sure to have fun! :bigthumbsup:

G

·
jazzman said:
Of all things, after long looking for a good run with any of our fine bretherin in the HD crowd, out of the blue I had a VStrom 1000 jump me today. I pulled up beside this guy on this nice shiny VStrom at a light out on some open road. Being a nice looking fellow Suzuki rider I was just trying to say howdy when the light turned green and he hammered its. I mean he layed down flat on the tank and just snockered it as hard as he could. Taken by complete surprise he pulled at least 4 bike lengths on me right quickly. However when I caught him in second gear he slowly rolled off of it and faded way back into history as I cruised off by myself. I actually wanted to talk to the guy but he kept slowing and finally I just went on.
Wow, maybe it was a vstrom 650 :dontknow: I've had both and the 650 is about the same speed, the 1k is very quick at any speed.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
J R said:
.Now the v-rod guys that have been told a bunch of crap and spent 40 grand and then get beat I can see there frustration........... :p But the internet said.......................... ::) :D
I dont know weather to feel sorry for those hd guys or sad that they are trying so hard to be "$omebody important". (Lets go with sad) But it sure is sad when you overspend a lot of money and still get your ass stomped. We stomp an hd every chance we get and it sure feels good.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
The 1000 VStrom runs an 11.56 second 1/4 mile @ 114.10 mph stock, so good job catching him.

I went to the track again yesterday with my wife. Only ran down the track four times, but still had fun each time. I think I enjoyed it the most when I was waiting for my wife to return from the restroom to depart the track a couple of younger guys (16? 20?) told me I should have stayed on the wheelie I hit on the last run. Although I did pull the clutch back a bit to lower the front end back down, I still finished with my best time w/o a redlight.

Oh, and what made it enjoyable was when he was talking about the wheelie he said, "I never seen a harley run like that before." He looked heart broken when I told him it wasn't a harley. I think then he noticed the suzuki emblem on my sissy bar. :bigthumbsup: Btw, I ran an 8.88 (good run) and an 8.83 (red lighted by 0.03!!!).

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
wildwolf said:
Btw, I ran an 8.88 (good run) and an 8.83 (red lighted by 0.03!!!).
You did this on your 800? You don't have an M109R yet, do you? And I assume that is an 1/8 mile time, right? :bigthumbsup:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Oh, yeah, it's a vs800...as in my signature pics.

Same bike...kept windshield & fully loaded saddlebags on. Quick little bike...would probably be much quicker if I could lose 70 pounds. (I chime in at 235 lbs now).

·
Registered
161 Posts
dynamos2000 said:
Wow, maybe it was a vstrom 650 :dontknow: I've had both and the 650 is about the same speed, the 1k is very quick at any speed.
That's kinda what I was thinking. Those 1k Stroms are very very quick. But really, what does it matter anyway? It's all in fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.